SAMe, SAMe, SAMe My body CRAVES this stuff.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spacee, Nov 1, 2008.

1. spacee

spacee Member

I can't take AD's and 5htp. It aggravates to a terrible level a neuropathic type pain I have in my forearms and skins.

I had my serotonin level checked a few weeks ago and it below normal. Surprised my doc but not me.

Someone here had posted to please try SAMe and I don't even remember why..I think because it is a Methly donor. It stuck in my brain.

Then I was talking to my brother, a doc, and he said, "why don't you try SAMe?".

My body's reaction has been like a desert land getting water.

The bad part is the price. But for me it is about the same as our highest brand name RX in our prescription I console myself with that.

Thank you to the person who posted and also thanks to Richvk who continues to encourage us by addressing the Methy Protocol.

2. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Sam-E is awesome. I can safely say (apart from my recent trials) in the past, that sam-e is the ONE supplement that has a huge, noticable effect, even after one dose. It really changes and helps so many processes in the body. I've had to be careful with it because if taken at the wrong time or too much (cumulative over days in a row), i get massive headaches from it, some that have ended with migraines and throwing up. but apart from that, if i dose it at night, smaller amounts, it really helps things. I highly reccommend everyone with CFS/FM try sam-e. If you get bad effects, cut the tablet down into 1/32 of a tab, or 1/16th. It generally will help most of us through its methylation and other effects.
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I just read your new post. Wow, how bad it is for you right now...I am so v. sorry. Thank you for making the effort to post here about your experiences with SAM-E. It helps a lot. IT is powerful stuff.

I will have to say, here at the end of the day. That while my body seemed to crave it, my energy level isn't better at all. But it is suppose to address *mood* and *joint pain* and *liver function* so maybe shouldn't hope for energy too.

Please rest, dear one.

4. kbak

kbak Member

Get your sam-e at Walgreens. When I first looked at taking it I checked to see the which sam-e was the best. Believe it or not Nature Made was in the top 3. Many times Walgreens has a 2 for 1 sale on it. I think you'll find then way more affordable.

Take care,
  5. spacee

spacee Member

I had read that Nature's Made was one of the top, I didn't realize Walgreen's had it at a more affordable price.

Thanks a bunch...

6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, spacee (and the group).

I just want to note that SAMe is the "main actor" in the methylation cycle, so if SAMe is having an impact on you, it might mean that you have a partial methylation cycle block. This seems to be the true of most people who have CFS. It might be worth considering (with your doctor) the simplified treatment approach for lifting this block, if you haven't already done so. It's helping a lot of people.

7. spacee

spacee Member

What a difference a few months make. When I met you at the conference in Ft. Lauderdale, I was enjoying a hard won degree of health and I hesitated to go through detoxing with the Protocol. I had been able to travel for some years. Now, I am getting practically housebound and detoxing could be easily done. Well, I don't know about easily.

I have no medical professional to help me. There is a chiropractor in my town who, I've heard, tests for deficiencies of other sorts. Perhaps he would be willing to learn about it. I hope so.

Thanks you,

8. spacee

spacee Member

I have also been just diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome. I googled SS and the HPA and it brought me right back to ProHealth's library where I found an article connecting the two.

I am wondering how autoimmune disorders and the Methylation Cycle fit together.

Rich, anyone with autoimmune and doing the Methy. Protocol?

9. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Spacee.

I know of one person on this board who had autoimmune diseases (including mixed connective tissue disease and others) and tried the methylation cycle block treatment. She developed autoimmune scleritis in one of her eyes and had to get steroid drops from an opthalmologist to calm it down. What I think happened is that when the methylation cycle started operating at a higher rate, the immune system came up, too, but because she had autoimmune diseases, they flared. So at this point I would be very cautious about using this treatment in the presence of autoimmune disease.

Sorry about that.

10. spacee

spacee Member

But thanks for letting me know.

11. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

As mentioned, Sam-E is one of the supps that made the biggest noticable difference to me, and have heard the same with others too.

I would reccommend anyone and everyone who can tolerate Sam-e to take it, especially if added to Rich's simplified protocol, I think it could only enhance the process.

12. spacee

spacee Member

Right now I take 800mg. 400 am and 400 at 4pm. My body wants it so much that I keep some in the car incase I am somewhere at 4 pm. But that feeling is finally ebbing.

As far as I can tell so far, ProHealth's is the cheapst but NOW and GNC are rated the best. I am taking ProHealth's and doing fine on it. It has mannitol in it which helps my bladder problems. So killing two birds.... you know.

Hope it helps you..

13. spacee

spacee Member

I buy the "double strength" 400mg tabs. And take one in the am before breakfast and the other at 4pm. Absorbed best on empty stomach.