SAMe: WHO HAS USED IT?? DID YOU LIKEIT?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, May 4, 2006.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I AM THINKING of trying SAMe ,thanks to info from lycimchld...i think i got your username wrong sorry....i just wanted to see how others like it....any side effects ? there isn't supposed to be but i always seem to get them....just wanted to throw it out there...thanks AGAIN LYCMCHLD....
  2. kel78

kel78 Member

I tried it but it stimulated me too much, just like anti-depressants and many other medications do. I can't take anything!

Mary
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

burst on the scene. $50 a bottle. I expect the price has come down.

Personally no results.
  4. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I started taking it after getting off of Prozac as I didn't feel good. It made me groggy (sleepy) and light headed. I felt better after I quit taking it. I've had better luck using "The SHake" and St. John's Wort.

Deb
  5. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

I tried using it several years ago and felt it did nothing. Since SAMe was so expensive and nothing was happening, I discontinued using it after 3 weeks.

6. seabulls69

seabulls69 New Member

Tried it, no help. Got more from Malic acid w/magnesium and MSM to name a few.
  7. mrpain

mrpain New Member

What about St. John's wart? Has anyone tried it and does it work as good as antidepressant?
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm on it now. I take it for the winter mths and go off in summer. It's a topper to Wellbutrin, which I've taken for 7 yrs and am weaning off. The Wellbutrin wasn't working well in the winter when I get major depressive SAD, and it was also causing anxiety as a side effect. St. John's is actually a better anti anxiety med than an a.d. But it is a milder a.d., and much more. I love it for PMS, puts a big dent in that and makes my cramps less and reduces general FM pain.

St. J's is also used to treat neuralgia from shingles. In N. America, it's only touted as a mild a.d., but it has many more uses, some of them I've mentioned. It also really helps w/ sleep.

Jeanne
  9. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I use and like SAMe. I was on addictive antidepressants for about 6 years and was graduually able to come off them. Now I just take the SAMe. I have 400 a day.

I have not had any side effects, that I know of! 200 a day did not help me. I do not know if it is helping my liver function and pain management. I would not be surprised if it did not do all it claims and if it is of no use to some people. However, I regard it as one of my 'finds' in the war with cfs.

Prices have come down, especially if you shop around on the net and are willing to buy 6 months worth at a time.
  10. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

SAMe really pulled me out of the gutter. I was already taking St. John's Wort, but it wasn't doing enough for me. I had to work up the dose of SAMe very gradually though. Going straight to 400mg gave me racing thoughts. Then I gave it a second try working up slowly over three weeks, and I've found it to be helpful.
  11. bct

bct Well-Known Member

Took it for four weeks with no discernable effect. I have CFS.
  12. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

you said that you take SAMe WITH st john's wort....could you tell us more about it? like the dose and how you started out...how much at first...what made you think of taking them both together?

thanks for all the responses!!! you all are great!!! as usual, there seems to be a mixed response...but, that means i have a 50-50 chance and with this illness fm (and cfs) you just can't tell what will work...but you all gave great ideas ...reagrding doses and how to do it...

thanks and if there are more answers out there, please fire away!!!
  13. millennia

millennia New Member

helped me with the pain. Only omega 3 has helped me with the depression. It has really been a life saver.
  14. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

your answer was the one i was hoping to hear! thanks! pink
  15. mrpain

mrpain New Member

You mentioned swanson...Their products are so cheap, I can't help to wonder are they quality vitamins?? What are your thoughts?
  16. millennia

millennia New Member

Sam-e actually helped a lot for pain. It is kind of expensive. I can't rememeber the dose they recommend for fibro. I stopped taking it when my doc prescribed mirapex and that took my pain away. My insurance covers that. Vitacost has it for $19 for 30 400mg pills. That's the best price I could find.
  17. millennia

millennia New Member

The studies used 800 mg for pain in fibro patients.
  18. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

man you are all so nice to give your info ..thanks so much! i am on a low dose of effexor and right away started up with the overheating and sweating...it does help with pain though....i need to find something that has no side effects, so that is what brought me to this topic...i will talk to my doc next week at my appointment and see if i can take the SAMe on top of 37.5 mgs of effexor...low, low dose...if i go up to 75 i get so hot!!!! ai hate it...cymbalta does it too and makes me crave icecream and gain lots of weight...cymbalta helped with the pain though....

i have been in bed since christmas pretty steady...and i don't know if i am feeling a bit better because of spring weather changes or the low dose of effexor....

i wish we had a way of measuring what is helping amd what isn't....

i could use the SAMe for depression and anxiety too...and the effexor but the dose it too low...

anyways, it really makes me feel good that you all will take the time to share your experiences with me....this illness really robs you of your social life and support of "friends"...so i feel like i have a bunch of new friends...okay, enough of the mushy stuff.....get on an antidepressant pink!!!!!