Samento users - can it cause insomnia? - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Started Samento slowly over the last few days - I'm not sure there is a link as I have bouts of bad insomnia and have been on sleeping pills for ages anyway but does anyone know if Samento can cause or worsen insomnia??? Have had to take extra sleep meds tonight and I can't raise those anymore.

Please can someone advise me - thanks.

Love Bunchy xxx

PS Edited to say I started Noni two weeks ago - don't think that's the cause but maybe the two combined??? [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2005]
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

bumping for a better sleep tonight
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

it's not uncommon and is due to the toxins from die off. There is no way to predict how long the insomnia will last but many as they progress find themselves sleeping better. Drinking plenty of water and assisting detoxing may help.

Samento made my standard dose of sleep med redundant, so my GP raised it and that helped.

Noni did not affect my sleep even though I had a hard time with it intially, and it made no difference sleep wise whenever I took a break from it.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2005]
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

anyone else with experience of this?

Thanks Tansy btw - the only other thing I have noticed is headaches - is this common too and what do I do about the sleep med - I already take the highest (2 x 7.5mg) amount of Zopiclone and can't function at all without sleep?

Love Bunchy x
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

I was already taking sublingual methyl B12 that had previously helped with head pains prior to my first herx so I increased the dose.

Are you taking the Recup yet? I found it helped with my body’s reaction to the toxins from die off, a few others say have reported similar benefits.

Bb causes Mg deficiency, Mg helps with sleep, so maybe you need to raise your dose if already taking it or start using it if not. Lee Cowden, in his revised protocol, recommends Mg malate but the citrate and gluconate forms seem to be the most popular. Other than having my zopiclone raised to 7.5 x 2 I never did find anything else that helped back when this happened to me.

I know about even further subsequent loss of function with sleep deprivation and of course it made my pain worse. The good news is my max dose of zopiclone is working better now than ever before, and when it doesn’t my drop in day time function is nowhere near as bad. Maybe you need to add in some of the natural sleep remedies that are often recommended here and make sure you get enough rest which is very important in these early weeks of treatment.

I will post another reply on this topic soon with detox suggestions, most made by Lee Cowden. Detoxing is a very important part of any protocol for borreliosis/lyme and other pathogens that trigger similar problems.

If you are responding this quickly then you are sensitive to samento which is a good sign, even though it may not feel like that for you right now. Don’t be afraid to reduce your dose or stop taking it for a day or two if things get too bad. Adjust your dose according to how things go, there will be herxing, the art is to keep it going but at a level that still allows your body to excrete the toxins. I learned to do that the hard way.

Love, Tansy
  6. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I found out that it keeps me awake if I take it too late in the day. I don't take any doses later that 4:00pm any more.

I cycle on and off of it now, as I've been on it for quite some time. When I cycle off of it I notice I sleep better. I'm guessing Tansy is right about it stirring up die-off which might interrupt our sleep.

Hope you get your sleep.

Take care,
    Krista
  7. rebeccavw

rebeccavw New Member

Hi

I started samento about 6 weeks ago and have found the opposite. I normally sleep very badly but my fatigue has been so bad since starting samento that im sleeping better.

Although i cant say for certain this is the samento.

Stick with it though i am sure this side effect will stop soon.

Let me know how you are doing with it.

Rebecca x
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

Lee Cowden’s recommendations for detoxing (this is written for samento users but is just as applicable for those taking ABx). –

*A few things can be done to minimize this healing crisis cascade of events.

First, starting the treatment with TOA-Free Cat’s Claw at a very low dose and building up the dose very slowly and cautiously over many days reduces the rate of microbial die-off. This in turn reduces the production of the microbial toxins that create the die-off healing crisis reaction.

Secondly, having the person who takes TOA-Free Cat’s Claw drink large amounts of pure water each day helps to flush the toxins out of the body faster. The preferable water intake is between ½ and ¾ ounce per pound of body weight per day (a 150 pound man would drink between 75 and 112 ounces per day).

Thirdly, if a person takes certain herbal and/or homeopathic remedies to aid the detoxification of the ground matrix, lymphatic, liver, kidneys and bowel, then the microbial toxins do not tend to build up in the tissues as much (this is sold as the Heel “Detox Kit”). Homeopathic mistletoe (viscum album 12x or 30 x) is a very good remedy for ground matrix.

The herbs Echinacea and/or clevers plus skin brushing and exercise are good for lymphatic support. Hydrangea, watermelon seed and parsley are helpful for kidney support. Dandelion, milk thistle and lipoic acid are helpful for liver support.

Also each person should have at least one large bowel movement per day by using sufficient magnesium malate, fiber such as psyllium and, if necessary, herbal laxatives like cascara sagrada.

Fourthly, algae, grasses and fiber (chlorella, barley grass, and psyllium, or slippery elm) help to bind the microbial toxins to carry them out of the body.*

There is a green and herb tea mix as well, which can help the body detox, you can change some of the ingredients according to what you most want to achieve -

4 bags decaf green tea (antioxidant, detoxifiers, blood cleansers, energy booster. Contains chlorophyll, minerals, and enzymes).

2 bags dandelion root tea (reduces swelling and fluid build up. Cleans blood and liver and is used as a diuretic. Reduces serum cholesterol and uric acid. Improves kidney, pancreas, spleen and stomach functions).

2 bags red clover tea (good for weakened immune systems. Acts as a natural antibiotic, blood purifier, and relaxant. Good for skin diseases, liver disorders, and kidney problems)

2 bags Pao D'Arco (Pau d’arco- contains a natural antibacterial agent. It cleanses the blood
    and is good for candidasis and all types of infection).

2 bags peppermint tea (stomach settling, enhances digestion. Use for chills, colic, diarrhoea, headaches, nausea, spasms, and poor appetite).

Bring some water to a boil and steep all of the herbal tea bags in a 4 cup tea pot for about 20 minutes. The long steeping time is helpful to release the constituent ingredients of the herbs. Steep the green tea bags in the same amount of water, but separately for about 5 minutes so the tea isn't too strong.

Then combine the herbal tea and green tea into a large jar and dilute the mixture with water. You can add 1 or 2 packets of Stevia Plus sweetener (xylitol is an alternative).
  9. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

for your replies and advice. I have restarted at half a drop a day and been told to increase veeeery slowly as I go along.

Is the fact that I am obviously sensitive to this supp a good or a bad sign??? In other words, am I reacting badly to the Samento or am I sensitive to it because it is "doing something"?

This is all so confusing...sigh.

Love Bunchy x