Sapphire

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AlaSnoopy, May 2, 2003.

1. AlaSnoopy

AlaSnoopy New Member

Sapphire...I was just wondering how your appointment went with Dr. Heffez in Chicago on Friday? Let me know! Waiting patiently....Snoopy!
  2. AlaSnoopy

AlaSnoopy New Member

Bump bump
  3. AlaSnoopy

AlaSnoopy New Member

bump bump! :)
  4. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I got home yesterday, sorry I didn't check sooner. My appointment went really good. Dr. Heffez is a wonderful caring and compassionate Dr. I was so impressed with him.

I think I may have an answer to 13 years of problems. I have severe cervical stenosis. He showed it to me on the MRI's. No wonder I have so many neurological problems, pain, fatigue, etc., the spinal fluid doesn't have very much room to flow. He believes the beginning of this was a car accident in 1989. But I have congenital stenosis so I was born with it but the accident triggered it.

I was impressed with his research of CFS,FMS and stenosis. I had to fill out several pages of questions. He was very specific in the questions he asked about fatigue, etc. He said if you have a heavy feeling in your limbs then that is an indication it is coming from your c-spine. I always just called that fatigue but there are different kinds I guess.

I also have degenerative disc disease. I will be going back for a discectomy and a fusion in June. I will have to wear a hard collar for 3 months. ARG!! He doesn't promise anything other than to stop the progression. I can tell you if I let this go on I will be unable to walk. I've been checked for MS and everything else. I've lost feeling in my shoulders, legs, and face. I feel so good to finally have an answer to all this weird stuff. Traveling 7 hours and surgery is a small price to pay.

One other thing I found interesting was that I had very hyper reflexes. He couldn't believe no other Dr had said anything to me about this. This is definitely an indication of spine problems. The PA said he hadn't seen reflexes like that in a long time. I told him it was a good thing he wasn't standing in front of me. OUCH, his voice would have been squeaking.LOL

If you have other questions I would be glad to answer them. By the way, if you have had MRI's, you can send them to him and he will review them, free of charge.

Take care,
    Sapphire
  5. AlaSnoopy

AlaSnoopy New Member

Thanks for the info...I actually have an appointment next week. My appointment is for next Friday and I'm really nervous! We are flying up next Thursday for the same run up it sounds like. So I will have to keep you posted. I am just really nervous and all and wanted a reassuring post! :) I feel like Dr. Heffez is my last hope! I wish you the best in your surgery in June. Please be sure and post when you know when your surgery is. I will keep you in my prayers! Snoopy!
  6. sapphire

sapphire New Member

You will feel very comfortable with Dr. Heffez and Robert, his PA. Are you scheduled to see other Drs besides Heffez? I was but I ended up not having to. I'm not real sure why. I wasn't disappointed though.

Are you staying in one of the guest rooms at the hospital? We stayed there and it was nice not to have to get out plus it was cold. I did kind of feel like I was in the hospital though. We ate in the hospital cafeteria except for once and we walked about a block and a half to a little Italian place on Surf Street. It was pretty good.

I hope you get some answers as I did. Keep me updated and if you want to email me just let me know here and I will post my address.

Take care,
    Sapphire
  7. AlaSnoopy

AlaSnoopy New Member

Just wanted to let you know! I saw Dr. Heffez, Dr. Kohn and Robert yesterday. They all agree that there is something wrong with me, they agreed that before, but the problem is when they do my MRI's nothing significant shows up. We did a new MRI with die yesterday, almost didn't make the flight home. I guess we will find out Monday what the results will be. Dr. Heffez says where your spinal column is suppose to be round the whole way down my C6-7 if flat, and he believes that is causing my problem, but he just isn't positive. It just really boggles him. I respect him for not jumping in there unsure, and I respect him for being honest. I just don't get that honesty from very many doctors anymore, they just medicate you and pass you on. He is such a kind doctor and determined! I had seen him before, I just wanted reassurance, sorry if I was misunderstood. I will keep you updated on what he discovers. He has also ordered an SSEP on my upper and lower extremites. Let me know when you are scheluded for your surgery. :) Snoopy
  8. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I can't believe I forgot to check this post to see if you had replied. I'm such a dingbat sometimes. I really do have a lot of nuerological problems so I guess I can blame it on that.LOL Forgive me.

I didn't realize you had seen Dr. Heffez before. He is such a wonderful Dr and Robert is great, too. I read your other message about them finding a syrinx. I know you are relieved to finally know what it is. I don't know much about that but have read some about it. Just can't remember,LOL. Will this require surgery?

Where did you stay in Chicago? I'm needing to find a motel close by. It's going to cost about $1000.00 just for the trip and motel there. My daughter is going so we will have to get 2 rooms and we are paying for hers, too. I may never get this surgery paid for but I hope it will be worth it.

Keep me updated on your progress. I'm glad you had a good visit with Dr. Heffez. He is so kind and compassinate. It's nice to finally have a Dr like that.

Take care,
    Sapphire
  9. sapphire

sapphire New Member

10. sapphire

sapphire New Member