Savannah Georgia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by VeniceQueen, Jun 28, 2007.

1. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

Anyone been to, or live in Savannah? going there and I am looking for some neat things to do on my vacation.
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Isn't that where Paula Dean has her resturant? That would be some good food!

budmickl
  3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I love, love, love that city. My daughter and her family live down there and I have been many times to visit. There is so much to do and see. You won't have any problems being bored. It is a great walking city. Once you get to the historic district you can walk everywhere or you can take the trolley or a horse and buggy.

Contact the Chamber of Commerce and they will send you a free packet of information. ALOT of information. Have you read the book "In the Garden of Good & Evil" That is a great book about things that have happened there in the past but written like fiction. They have book "tours" that show all of the places where these events occur.

When are you going? It is hotter then hades there in the summer. I always go in April or May. Be sure and wear your socks and tenny's as there is alot of cobblestone down by the river and that is where most of the shops are where they used to sale cotton.

I could go on and on about that great city. Hope this helps. P
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been there a couple of times. Everywhere you look, there is something of historical significance. Be sure to go down by the river and just sit and watch the boats go by. There is a pub like bar which serves the best cheeseburger I have ever had. If you can take the sugar, be sure to go to the big candy store and get some pralines. Mmmmmmm!

Love, Mikie
  5. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I wrote down all of your ideas and places. I just booked the flight, going in October (the week of our wedding anniversary). It's a suprise for my husband. I think I'll tell him where we are going when we get to the airport.

Tybee island looks awesome going there for sure! Will go to Paula's place, love her show. I saw the move midnight in the garden of good an evil, so that will be make it more fun. I think I will send for some info. I cant wait to go! It's great to hear how beautiful it is. Everyone I know has asked me why Savannah? It just seems to inviting, and I love to eat!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the humidity. I live in Ohio, not as bad but we do get some summers with really bad humidity.

Michelle

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2007]
  6. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I didnt even think to check her website, they always mention her on other savannah sites. I will check it out. Getting a list down of places I want to see so I dont forget them. I deceided to rent a car, cant walk around too much. I do want to to the walking ghost tour.

I bet Paula's place is always packed!!

PS
    Love the picture of your dog![This Message was Edited on 07/02/2007]
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

place is always packed and there is always a line clear down the sidewalk to get in. I have eaten at a place near there and have gotten right in and ate and then walked by Paula Deans and the same people are still in line out in the hot weather. My daughter who lives there said the food was just so so anyway.

Her and I would recommend for you to eat at a beautiful mansion called "Elizabeths on 37th". I also have their cookbook which has a forward in it by the author Pat Conroy who wrote "The Prince of Tides". Great food and you aren't crammed in like sardines. I see someone on here is from Beufort, home of Pat Conroy. That is a beautiful town also. P
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Holiday Inns has a few hotels which are a big cut above their average hotels/motels. I stayed at one in San Antonio on the river and it was as nice as any luxury hotel. Savannah has one on the east end of the main drag before you go to the beach. It used to be a Coca-Cola bottling plant but before that, it was an old blacksmith's shop in the early days of Savannah. It is a very nice hotel and I recommend it. It has a secure parking garage across the street and it isn't nearly as packed as the Hyatt on the river. It's only one street over from the river but it's a few blocks to get to the riverwalk.

Love, Mikie
  9. bandmom90

bandmom90 New Member

What a great post and good info. My husband and I are going there next spring for our 25th anniversary. The main thing we will do is go to Paula Deen's restaurant.

Thanks for the post and thank you everyone for the good info.

Jo
  10. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I am more excited to go since posting this question. Thanks for all the comments and recommendations,very insightful.
    I bought a new digital camera and printer, so I can only imagine all of the great pics i'll get to take.
    Jo -- early congrats on your anniversary to come! I'll let you know how our trip goes.

Michelle
  11. bandmom90

bandmom90 New Member

Thanks and I'll watch for your update. Hope you have a great time.

Jo
  12. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I checked her site out too, food sounds good.I'm becoming a bigger paula deen fan--see what you started :)!!!
    I'll probably gain 20 lbs from all the good food in Savannah!! I watch her all the time on foodtv, everything she cooks is soooooo good...and fatty!

I cant wait for the ghost tour, I love that sort of stuff too! Since I've been reasearhing I have found that there are so may things to do in Savannah.

Michelle
  13. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

This vacation is well needed. Last vacation was Vegas and it was terrible. I was in the middle of a Fibro flare up, I hurt all over and had extreme fatigue, slept in the hotel for 2 straight days. Too much walking. So Savannah will be a nice change, some walking but not too much. It's so hard to pick a vacation these days...cant walk too much or I'll get extreme fatigue, cant lay in the sun because I have had melanoma.

My dog, my baby. Mine loves to lay out on the deck even in 85 degree weather . Your dog is beautiful! I have never seen that kind before.

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2007]
  14. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

Vegas was not for me either, too many people. I would had been ok if I had never gone there, but my husband wanted to go. Now he is always saying "next time we go back"... I keep telling him I'm not going back!!!

Thanks Mytstic, talk to you soon.

Michelle