Save those ladybugs???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kay31, May 31, 2006.

1. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Lady bugs are wonderful little creatures because they will eat many bugs in your garden and cause you no problems....of course, if they are multiplying in your house, that could be a problem.

Try to lure them into a jar and then release them outside. Seriously, gardeners order them just for this purpose.
  2. spmary

spmary New Member

Hi Kaye
    Interesting about the ladybugs. My sister-in-law lives about a mile from us and was inundated with the little creatures. The ceiling in her living roomm was covered,like it was painted with them. The county agent could offer no advice or help. she vacums them and releases them out doors. Others in the county are having them too.

Not so much this summer. And so far we have escaped. She lives in a very old house.( lots of place to let them in.)
    We also live on a farm and contend with all sorts of creepy things. And me, a city girl! I've lived here 16 yrs. so you would think I would be used to it but Im not.

But most of the time I love the peace and quiet and watching the birds and deer,etc. LOL,Mary
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I HEARD MY BROTHER TELL MY DAD THAT THERE WAS A LADYBUG CRAWLING OUT OF HIS CORN PLANTS AND MY DAD REPLIED "THAT'S GOOD" I WONDERED HOW THIS COULD BE GOOD, NOW I KNOW!!!

KRIKET
  4. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

we had ladybugs all over the one side of our house one year when I was growing up.

man the pods looked like some freakish thing then we saw all the ladybugs.... it was weird!

Never happened again just that year.

Then this year rofl... I went out to the pound and walked thru the dogs and found a beagle and she told me her name was Lady. Went home thought nothing of it then it bugged me.

I ended up going back for her and her name went from Lady to LadyBird, most of the time we call her bug lol.

So I rescued a Lady Bug.

SHe is 15 years old ish, and nearly blind and deaf. She has 3 teeth and what was figured was that the original owner let her loose because she was no longer a good hunting dog.

They do that here alot, we have another beagle that was left down a rabbit hole because the guy could not be bothered to dig him out when he got stuck. So when he had starved enough he crawled out and went to the pet food store. We got him from the rescue after that. We were the first ones to see him when he came in the store so we knew what had happened.

Anyhow wanted just to tell you of my LADYBUG eheheheh!

HAGN
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Lady bugs rarely get inside of a house. They may overwinter in the mulch along the side of a house and come out in a big mass in the spring. Lady bugs are a good thing to have on corn because they eat the corn aphids. May people do not recognize lady bug larvae, which eat even more than the adults, and kill them. The larvae are soft-bodied with alternating gray and orange color.

My fog is slightly less dense than mysticbrit’s and I recall that they were brought over to combat some soybean problem; don’t recall what, though. Japanese beetles have a higher dome than a lady bug, are always orange, bite, and stink. They get into farm houses badly, especially in the winter. I occasionally get one in my apartment in town.
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....hate Japanese Lady Beetles.

Unless you look very closely, they appear the same, but Lady bugs are usually orangy-red with black spots while the Lady Beetles are various degrees of orange to yellow with a black V near their head. Here in my area they've become very pesky.

And I read that they don't agressively bite; they "sample skin for moisture" OUCH! and I know their life cycle is short, inside or out.

I don't care, I still don't like them bopping around my windows and ceiling, then dying everywhere. Poor Lady bugs take the heat for them, too.

Marta
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Ron was saying they aren't a native "ladybug" either, they got brought here from someplace else and overpopulating.

Started last fall for us, mostly outside though, it was eery how many, they'd just land all over you the minute you walked out. I have yet to get bitten though. they seemed to stay and breed in our upstairs spare room for the winter. they like sunny areas, so this spring our sunroom (and main entrance to kitchen) became terribly infested. We have a very old farmhouse too, funny how they seem to prefer that from what people are saying here.

WE USED FLY STRIPS, the non-toxic ugly yellow ones. Worked like a charm too, and quick. There were hundreds and half of them stuck to the strips in the first hour. They may be good breeders, but they are dumb as posts, and must think fly strips are yummy.

Jeanne
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I've always been told that Ladybugs are good luck!
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My SIL & BIL live in Tacoma, WA, in a 1940's bungalo. Really cute house and they have painted the inside all white. The lady bugs come in in late fall and cluster on the walls and window sills and make a mess!

This is what I found on line:

"The species found so abundantly is the multicolored Asian lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis, common in Japan, Korea and other parts of Asia. "Multicolored" refers to the tremendous color variations in this species, ranging from black with two red spots, to orange with 19 black spots, with every combination in between. This species was introduced by USDA Agricultural Research scientists in the late 1970's and early 1980's as a biological control agent for pear psylla and other soft bodied insects.

Numerous releases occurred in the United States; high populations have been reported in Washington, Oregon, Georgia and Virginia. Releases in Washington State were in Chelan, Klickitat and Yakima Counties, all east of the Cascade Mountains. The insects apparently did not establish in eastern Washington, but chose to relocate in western Washington. Others may have arrived here as unintentional passengers aboard cargo ships from the Orient.

Introduced insects often require 7 to 10 years to become established, thus the reason we are only now witnessing observable numbers. Being a recent import few natural enemies are available to keep Harmonia axyridis populations in check. This will necessitate management efforts by homeowners until the beetle population experiences a natural reduction.

Most lady beetle adults spend the winter months in clusters, protected from the weather. In their native home, Harmonia axyridis overwinters in cliffs, but in Washington, unfortunately, the next best thing is a house. Attracted to vertical surfaces, they often appear on light-colored walls with a south or southwest exposure. These 1/4" long insects enter wall voids through cracks and settle down for the winter. With lengthening daylight, a warm interior often draws them inside which can be frustrating to human residents.

Lady beetles are beneficial insects and should be preserved, if possible. Locating entry points and sealing up cracks and crevices will help reduce their numbers indoors. Window screens and doors should be tight-fitting. Concentrate initial efforts on the south and west sides of infested structures. Each day, vacuum and dispose the beetles well away from the building, as these insects are strong fliers and will readily return. A wet-dry vacuum works quite well for this. If entry points are still available, there may seem to be little reduction as new beetles enter. Vacuuming the clusters from walls during fall may also offer some relief."

Hugzz
    Greenbean

10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

They’ve sampled a lot more than my skin moisture. They chow down on my skin!

We seem to have only the orange variety here in the midwest. And we don't have any pear whatevers. I say get rid of the stinky things.