Savella grandma bb and cathugs rvchick

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, May 24, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Can you tell us what day and what milligram you are now? Also rv chick
    should be back tomorrow to see how she is doing. cathugs how is your stomache is it better? I know it is early in the game yet, but are you feeling anything positive yet?
  2. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

Day 6 is 25mg twice a day.
    Same for tomorrow.
    Then 50mg twice a day for the next week.

First I was just concerned about side effects. My BP and heart rate are the same as my normal which is high. Still no nausea.
    I think some of my fm symptoms are actually better. I did start Celebrex 4 days before the Savella so I'm not sure which is helping more. My thumb joint has been so painful I was getting a cortisone shot next week, but now there's no pain at all. Same with my toe joint.

My only concern is a pain in my upper back across between my shoulder that is excruciating. It's a pain I've never had before so I can't be sure if I would have gotten it anyway. It's been raining like crazy and the OA always gets worse then.

I wish there was something more specific to say, but I am feeling better.
  3. cathugs

cathugs New Member

To day is my 13th day.The nausea is almost gone. The sticker shock was
    pretty painful when I got the Rx filled It was 128.00 for 60 pills.
    I have to get prior authorization before ins. will pay. I sure hope it does.
    but if it really does a good job, I am going to find a way to pay for it.

granniBB, the Celebrex is probably helping you a lot also. I took it
    for a long time, then my ins. changed and I had to go to something cheaper. I take meloxicam now. I can really tell the difference if I miss a few days.

I have bad hands also. That is where I can tell the most difference.
    granni, maybe you are just having a bad flair in you neck and shoulders.
    I have them and I get so sore I can't turn my head.

We'll just have to take one day at a time and see what happens with the Savela.

Have a good week.
  4. rvchick

rvchick New Member

I had to quit this medicine,,,,My heart rate went to 112---I was shaking ,crying--got in a argument with Charlie over something, they said I was yelling, can't do this I went back on 20mg of Paxil...I was a mess, couldn't sleep or even lay down....Hope every one elese has better time with this med.....good-luck
  5. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

That was really awful.
    Did you have to gradually stop or did you just quit?

Hope you feel better soon.
  6. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I hate to hear the med caused so many problems It sounds like
    you had about all the side affects.
    I hope you feel better soon.

7. rvchick

rvchick New Member

Yep, that med. did a job on me...But today I am better, back on my Paxil 20mg.....I just went off, threw it in the trash.....Doc. said he has something elese...I said I am not going to be ginny (sp) pig again.....At least it isn"t raining today, I can get outside got some tomato plants to put in a pot.......I will keep in touch on here, hope everyone has good luck with that med....
  8. rvchick

rvchick New Member

My Doc called about the salvella, said that was ok, to go back on paxil, & said I was not a ginny(sp) least I can joke with him.....said he has something elese to try, I said NO....when ever this nursing home stuff gets clamed down, I will be ok. but now, Dad isn't doing good, wanting to come home, today......I sure would like to bring him home, but I can't lift him.... & he still thinks he can do everything he used to do......So Charlie & I are going for a drive, darn gas 2.65 but we are going to the lake, for a picnic.....anything to clam these nerves.......Everyone have a good day.......
  9. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

So far, so good.
    Nothing new to report.
    I do miss my tramadol, though. It always made me feel better in the mornings (early afternoon).

RVCHICK - so sorry it didn't work out for you. A picnic at the lake sounds wonderful.
  10. 3gs

3gs New Member

11. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

Just checking in to say I finished day 10.
    Still feeling pretty good except I need to start back on my fiber again.

My upper back is still hurting in a spot that never hurt before.
    But my hands are pain free and my bad foot is pain free.

I just wish I could tell if it's from the Savella or the Celebrex.
    I filled the next month's prescription.

CATHUGS how are you going?
  12. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

13. cathugs

cathugs New Member

Hi, I am still doing okay. The nausea is gone. I have hurt the least today that I have in a long time. I have a terrible foot and ankle. I have OA in it and bone spurs. I worked today and usually when I work all day I am in agony with my foot

Well, I have not hurt near as bad today, and my foot is not swollen nearly as bad.

And......I have lost 7 pounds since I started on Savella. That is one side affect I like.

The only other thing it does is I sweat like I am going through menopause. LOL.

Every thing else is good.
    Any body else?
  14. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I finished the starter pack and filled my rx - $111 with my insurance.
    Taking 2 50mg doses a day.
    I am actually feeling better and I can't believe it. I never thought this experiment would really work for me.
    Have not lost any weight, but I do smoke (I KNOW, I KNOW) and I have been smoking much less. I didn't expect that side effect.

I'm still taking the vicodin but my all over pain is much less than it was. I'll discuss this with my doctor on Thursday.

Cathugs - how are you doing?
    Anyone else taking it yet?

15. ourlife

ourlife New Member

I just started taking this yesterday and even though it's early still i got up this morning feeling great....first time in a long time for that. Too soon to tell but i'm glad others are trying it. I hope i get the weight loss side effect lol.
  16. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

Good luck with the Savella. It's great that you feel better already.
    Please keep us posted as to how it's going.
  17. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I have been watching this post. I have been put on Lyrica for about 1 month. I cannot tell if it has done anything for me at all.
    I am so happy to hear that this is making you all feel a little better. I will keep watching because I know my doc will try to help me get it if she thinks it will benefit me at all
    God bless and take care,
    hoping Savella will make a difference for us.
  18. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I can tell a difference in my energy level also.I have not been getting as tired. I am still on the Vicoden, but am missing doses more now.

My bad foot is also feeling much better. I have an appt. tomorrow
    to have it checked out. I almost feel like I don't need to go now,but if I don't it will probably start up again.

I also have to have xrays done on my knees. They are artificial and it has been a year since they were last xrayed, so the dr. wants to make sure they look okay.

I have had to drag out the fiber also, but that is a small price to pay if I can get some pain relief.
    I don't get hungry taking Savella. I eat only a few bites and I am full.

I am 11 days into the new rx. Boy, ins. doesn't pay much on it.
    Mine was 128.00 . My ins. wouldn't pay on mine. I am hoping the dr. can get an over ride on it when I go back.
    I guess if it won't pay I'll have to sell my cat. LOL!!!!.

Gotta go now. Everybody keep posting with updates.

Hugs from (((cathugs)))
  19. cassrn

cassrn New Member

Hello I have been newly diagnosed with Fibro. I of course had syptoms way before now but...
    I just had a few questions for you as I see you are on the Savella. My neurologist is reluctant to RX for me. Says she does not know enough about it. She has increased my Neorontin instead. I am 300mg in Am and 600mg in PM. I do not see a lot of relief. In fact I had a real bad night lastnight. Do you think it is worth changing docs to get the Rx?
    I was also wondering if you are still taking the Imatrex that you mention in your profile. And if so ...does it cause bad side effects with the Savella? Have you found anything that helps the pain non medication wise like heat, cold, OTC medications etc? I am sorry for all the questions but you seem to know a lot about it.

20. cathugs

cathugs New Member

Hi, cassrn,
    I would be afraid to tell you whether to change drs.
    I see a Rheumatologist. He has been treating me for over 11 years.
    We have tried so many things to no avail. I don't take the imitrex any more. I seldom have a migraine any more. If I do I just take Excedrin
    Migraine otc.
    My primary dr. told me that a lot of times when a woman got older and through menopause that the migraines let up a lot. I just turned 62.
    and have found this to be true in my case. I had suffered with them
    all my life.

I tried Lyrica but it was not the drug for me. Lots of swelling and rapid weight gain. Didn't help with pain.

Nothing has helped my pain before except for Vicodin, muscle relaxers
    and Clonazepam. They just take the edge off

The Savella is really helping me so far. I have a lot more energy.
    The fatigue is sometimes worse than the pain.
    My husband told me last night that he could tell it was helping,
    because I was acting like I felt better and was not dragging my self around like I had been.LOL

I just feel different.I still hurt, and still take the Vicodin, but not as many as I had been.
    I feel better in the mornings. I was having to force myself to get up
    and face another day.I have gotten up every morning this week at about 7:am. That is unusual for me. Some mornings I just could not get up.

As for your ? about changing drs.....Ask your self if you would rather still be in pain and loosing sleep or is it worth it to change drs. and
    try the Savella.
    I had gotten to the point that I am willing to try any thing for a better quality of life. I have the side affect on minor nausea, but it has about gone away. I have to watch my fiber because one side affect is
    constipation,but I can handle that. A "good" side affect is weight loss.

I like that one. LOL. I need to lose some weight. I have
    lost 7 lbs already.

Please keep us updated if you decide to try it and feel free to ask any ? that you may have. You can google SAVELLA and it will give you lots of info.

Take care, ((((cathugs))))