Savella question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Dec 23, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi all, I remember there being talk about Savella, but it's been a while.
    Yesterday I switched from Cymbalta to Savella because Cymbalta stopped working well for me--I think I'd been taking it for so many years it just quit on me. I was up to 120 mg per day! Definitely the max for it.
    So, so far, I'm feeling more energetic with the Savella. I know it's a gradual dosage up, and can take up to a week or 2 to really feel it's effects.
    I'm just a little dizzy and nauseous, but that could also be withdrawl from the Cymbalta.

Anyone's experiences with Savella are greatly appreciated!

2. SBear

SBear Member

The first few days on savella I felt dizzy, weak, and nauseated. I also had horripilation (goose bumps). These are known side effects of the medication, and they went away completely in a few days. I feel the medication is well worth it because it stopped the constant diarrhea, and also helps with the pain and exhaustion. It merely masks the symptoms, isn't a cure, and apparently doesn't help everybody, but I figure any port in a storm. If fibro isn't a storm, what is?
  3. loto

loto Member

I am optimistic that this med will help me much better than the Cymbalta did. I can tell it's helping me with exhaustion already. I have been dizzy, but not enough to make me want to stop taking it. I'm pretty sure that will go away.
    I'm so glad my doctor gave me the samples. Very hopeful it will continue to help me!
    Thanks for sharing your experience, and have a Merry Christmas!!

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know that my Dr. who has many Fibro patients has said that Savella has turned many of his patients lives around, so I'm so happy that you have found it to be beneficial for you!

Some of us can't take it, like every other med out there, but if you're lucky enough to be able to, I think that's fantastic! I know that any side effects you're having, should also go away.

5. loto

loto Member

I couldn't get past the side effects that may have been initial to starting the Savella, plus I'm sure some of the problem was withdraw from Cymbalta.
    My lips went totally numb, and I was so dizzy and nauseous, plus, I would cry at the drop of a hat. I felt worse and more depressed!
    So, needless to say, I stopped the Savella, and went back to Cymbalta. I've also discovered another substance that is helping with my depression. I'm self medicating myself, though. But, hey, if it's helping me without any unwanted side effects, I'm gonna do it.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm so sorry it didn't work for you!!! I was hoping to hear a glowing update in a few weeks!

I'm curious...did your Dr. not wean you down a little from the Cymbalta? I know that the Savella starts on such a low dose, then titrates up gradually. I'm sure going off Cymbalta cold turkey (if that's what you did) didn't help the way you were feeling! My Dr. kept me taking my other med for a few days, til the Savella got in my system. Maybe Cymbalta is different. (I couldn't take THAT one either!)

Anyway- I'm sorry the side effects were too much - I completely understand!!! I was really bummed out when it didnt work for me.

7. loto

loto Member

my doctor didn't have me wean off the cymbalta.
    He told me I didn't have to wean off of it, that I savella and cymbalta were ok to go back and forth from. Not sure what he meant by that. I just sent him a note that I couldn't take the savella, though. I did start on the low dose of the Savella, and go up. I made it to the 3rd level of dosing--then stopped! I was really hopeful also. The first days dosage made me feel pretty good!
    Oh well, at least I tried. I think I've been on the Cymbalta for so long that it's really going to be tough changing to anything else.
  8. loto

loto Member

I could also hear my eyeballs and eyelashes move! That was the craziest thing I've ever experienced in my life!
  9. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I too switched from Cymbalta ( also 120 mgs. )to Savella because Cymbalta stopped working. Savella has been great for me. So far so good. I am up more often and feel much better. I just wished I didn't have so much Cymbalta left. I never know what to do with the xtra drugs when I make switches. I don't believe the drs think about all of the costs we incur with all of the drug changes. I wish more samples were given out first. The Pain Center I go to has made a fortune off of me. Good luck with Savella.

10. loto

loto Member

I'm glad the Savella is working for you. I just couldn't get through the switch. Too many side effects and I was just soooo weepy! But, like I said, I'm glad it's working for you! I have been feeling better, tho, now that I've had a few weeks of caltrate in my system. So I'm content for now!!
  11. debilyn

debilyn New Member

hi loto

when I was weaning off of cymbalta, I had terrible crying episodes. It seemed like I cried non-stop, and I was going off the drug very slowly. I also felt so depressed then too, like I could care less whether or not I drove off a cliff or into a semi truck. It was horrible.

I can't imagine just stopping it or switching meds. That was several months ago, and I'm free of those feelings now. I wonder if your symptoms were more from going off the cymbalta then starting the savella.

I haven't tried savella; I am thinking about asking my doctor when I see him next week.

12. MamaT1967

MamaT1967 New Member

I have tried all of those drugs, Cymbalta, Lyrica, Savella,can't remember the others. I call them (excuse the phrase) mind f&ck drugs and have told my doc I am no longer a lab rat for that type of medicine. They made me homicidal, not suicidal! I would get so mad at nothing or I would curl up in a ball and cry for hours or cry at the stupidest things. He actually wrote in my file "has refused any more meds (like these) at the blessing and request of her family".

Not to mention the other physical side effects, UGHHH!!! I don't want to discourage anybody from trying anything they think/hope will work, but I got nothing positive out of taking these meds.

Good luck to you all.
  13. pumkinhead

pumkinhead New Member

Loto thanks for posting about this new drug. Like so many cymbalta does not work as well for me now. My doc is weaning me off Cymbalta very slowly and now i take 25mg savella at the same time. Went from 120mg Cymbalta to 90mg today. So far no bad side effects.

My friend went nuts trying to get off Cymbalta. Seems like savella works great for some and
    others can not tolerate. I went thru the search enjine and found some interesting post.

14. slcrac

slcrac New Member

Having dealt with fibro for over 7 years, I finally agreed to try Savella, as the first prescribed med ever...not that my doc hasn't tried to have me start the others. Anyway, there's no way I'm going to continue this medication. I leveled out at 25mg twice a day (cant imagine taking more than that..the recommended 100 mg a day blows my mind).
    I've had constant nausea, constant bowel issues (not constipation), headaches, and just an over all feeling like I have the flu. What good does that do me to cover up pain with all this this?
    I'm going to continue to push through the pain, exercise, practice yoga and eat well.
    Good luck to all of you that get the relief you seek with Savella.
  15. loto

loto Member

That's the exact same dose I leveled out at when deciding to flush it down the toilet!!!!
    It was awful! I had those same side effects, but I think the ones that really got me was constant dizziness and being able to hear my eyelashes and eyeballs move!
  16. kathysangels

kathysangels New Member

I have been on Savella for almost six months now and my quality of life is so much better. I am taking 2 100mg tablets a day and cannot believe the difference it has made in my life. I never tried Lyrica/Cymbalis, etc. so this is the first Fibro drug I have ever tried. I have had fibro for 25-30 years now and have been in almost constant pain as a result. I almost feel like this is a miracle drug for me. It has increased my movement, and my energy level is incredible compared to what I used to be. I do still have my "days" when I hurt all over, but those days are much less - I also have a lot less fibro-fog.

Yes, there are side effects, but since I am on a number of medications, I can't place all the blame on this drug. I do get constipation and nausea once in a while - but three different drugs I am on list this as a side effect. I get headaches occasionally, but then with fibromyalgia manifesting itself in the back of my neck - this has been a problem over the years anyway. If anything, the headache pain has lessened as the medication has done it's job. I have slighly elevated blood pressure, but we are keeping an eye on it - it is by no means in a worrisome area at this point. I do not get heart palipations, or shortness of breath - and can't remember any of the other side effects. But for now - I will continue this medication. It worries me that there are people who are trying to have this medication removed. NO medication works for everyone - it is trial and trial and trial - until we finally find the one that works!!
    I thank God that there are people out there doing research who are trying to find cures for diseases like fibromyalgia, and in the meantime, they are finding drugs to make our lives better in the quality of life area.
    I don't know if there are others out there who have taken this medication and are having the same effect, but my suggestion to everyone is to try it - and to give yourself the possibility that it will work. The first two weeks WERE rough -but when you get past them, it is great!
  17. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I've been on Savella since July 1st. I honestly believe that what you are feeling are the withdrawal effects of Cymbalta. You Dr. should have known better than to pull you cold turkey off of something as strong as Cymbalta, especially after having been on it for soo long.
    A previous poster mentioned that Savella is started at a very low dose and they are correct. It is no wonder you had feelings of suicide etc. You were basically running on nothing after years of Cymbalta.

I would truly try Savella again, but this time step down from Cymbalta first. Savella also works better in conjunction with Lyrica. Since they are not in the same family you aren't double dosing.

I would try a search at the top left of this board on Savella, there has been a LOT of helpful information on it.

Best of luck,