Savella update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GranmaBB, Jul 8, 2009.

1. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I've stopped taking the savella - tapered off for the last week and I see my doctor tomorrow.

I'm so disappointed, I really wanted this to work and at first I thought it did.

The first thing I noticed was that it made me HUNGRY - really hungry. And I didn't need anymore weight gain.
    I had extreme hot flashes and more flares than usual.
    While I "thought" I was doing better, my husband kept telling me that I was complaining more about pain and tiredness.
    And I was getting major headaches every day.

I guess if I can't tell if it's making me feel better, I shouldn't be spending $111 a month on it.
    Now I can take tramadol again which does make me feel better.

2. cathugs

cathugs New Member

Bobbi, I am sorry to hear that you had to stop the Savella.
    It has worked the opposite on me with hunger. I have lost 11 lbs.
    since I have been on it.

I have the bad hot flashes. Those are rough in the 90* weather.
    My nausea has about gone away. My hubby has even said that he can tell I feel better. He says I walk better and don't "drag around as much".

I don't blame you for not wanting to spend a lot of money for something that doesn't help.

My dr, the ins. and my pharmacy are still trying to decide in ins. is going to pay for mine.
    My dr.s office said today that the ins. said it did not have to be pre authorized. I called the pharmacy. They said it was still kicked out.

Pharmacy called ins. Ins said they would call my dr. Pharmacy said to call back tomorrow at 2:pm.

I hope they get it okayed. I hate to have to pay 130.00. It has gone up 2 dollars since last month.

I am glad you have your Tramadol. I couldn't make it with out my hydrocodone.

Hugs from cathugs

3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Shows how everyone reacts differently to meds. I have heard of people losing weight on prozac and also gaining. You think they could some how test which medicine is best suited to people other then trial and error.

Just a thought, have you tried reductil a weight loss med that works on similar neurotransmitters to savella and duloxetine, but it is marketed as a weight loss med, i havent heard of people gaining weight from it but have heard people not losing weight from it, maybe more neutral as far as weight gain go's and maybe help with pain and energy. I dont think these meds (snri's) are going to take pain away, maybe tone it down abit and make life more bearable.

I personally find tramal effective for fm although i get it for chronic back problems and also take reboxetine for energy, this med just acts on noradrenaline, so i suppose combining it with tramal makes it work similar to snri med.

When pain is really bad i have found taking a cough medicine called rikodeine( in australia) which has dihydrocodeine in it with panadeine which has some codeine helps when all else fails, although i try not to make a habit out of it, when you have those days when even lying down hurts and brain fog becomes more of a cotton wool head with a vice tightening on it.;
    keep battling on, and chin up.
  4. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I saw the doctor yesterday and told him I stopped.
    He seemed very disappointed. He also wants me to skip the Ultram and stick with just the vicodin for pain since celebrex does help with alot of the OA pain in my hands and knees.

I asked him about how all the other patients were doing on savella and he said 50/50.
    So I don't feel so bad - I would have been annoyed if 90% were doing great on it.

At least I'm not hungry all the time like I was on savella. That was such a weird feeling. Nothing made me feel full.

Cathugs - I'm so happy it has been so great for you!
    Keep updating us on your progress.