Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GranmaBB, May 15, 2009.

1. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

Has anyone tried Savella for FM?
    My doctor has done clinical trials with it and has seen very good results with it.
    I will be starting it in a few days, but can't find any other comments about it on this board.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

there are lots of comments about it under savella, milnaciprin, and new fibro drug.....many have been within the last few days, but if you don't see them, try doing a search and then looking on the rt side of the screen where it says something like "recent searches" on those results and you should get a lot of info

it is very similar to cymbalta, though, just you can also search for more on cymbalta and you will likely get an idea of what to expect from this one

btw, read more about what "good results" from clinical trials really means, too....I wrote about that under one of the posts about savella - I think it was the new fibro drug one (and cfsgeorge also made some good points about the same)[This Message was Edited on 05/15/2009]
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

my comments about the clinical trials are not where I thought they were....I am now searching for them - will let you know if I find them
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

started by jmq, called: anyone take savella (milnaciprin)

this goes into what kind of drug it is, why this type of drug is often prescribed for fm, and why clinical trials are pretty much useless, among other things....should give you more of the info you are looking for
  5. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

Thanks, AuntTammie, for all the info. When I did a search for it, I came up with nothing. I must have been doing something wrong.
    I really appreciate it and I'm sure all the info will help..
  6. ulala

ulala New Member

If you try the search again, type in savella or pristiq in the search bar and have the drop down menu set to "content." Hit search. It will come out nothing found. Then look to the far right and you will see your word in another search box. Click "go" and you will get your results.

Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2009]
  7. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

So is savella a brand name for pristiq or is it just the same type of drug?
  8. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I can search!!!!
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I'm glad you can do the search now & that the info helps you : )
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2009]
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

savella is the same as milniciprin (sp?)....pristiq is a different drug, as is cymbalta...they are all SNRI's (serontonin and norepenepherine reuptake inhibiters), though, so they are very similar
  11. ulala

ulala New Member

is between Savella and Pristiq? They are both SNRI's but what's the difference, if any? They are both also antidepressants. I know that Pristiq is supposedly a sister drug to Effexor, supposedly with less side effects. One of the listed side effects of Pristiq is appetite loss. If Savella is similar to Cymbalta is a side effect weight gain? I think that a side effect of Cymbalta is weight gain. Supposedly Pristiq has less sexual side effects thatn Effexor and is easier than Effexor to stop taking.

I'm still not sure what the differences are. Anyone know? Thanks!

Bobbi-I'm so happy that you can now search! Best wishes!
  12. cathugs

cathugs New Member

Savella is not an antidepressant, but you can have the same side affects.

The info said that it could cause weight LOSS. I have started on it and
    so far I am well pleased.You can check the Savella/cathug thread to read more info on what it is doing for me. I have been on it 6 days.

Please feel free to ask me questions if you are interested.
    I will keep posting abut my progress.

13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

.....just in other countries than the US.... from

"Savella, an SNRI, is new to the U.S. but has been on the market in several countries as an antidepressant for more than a decade. "

It doesn't really matter how it is marketed here - it was created as an antidepressant and it is a SNRI, which is a type of antidepressant -

HOWEVER THAT SHOULD NOT MATTER.....some people get some relief from some antidepressants bc the same chemicals that are responsible for mood are also responsible for pain, sleep, really should not matter what you want to call it; what matters is if it helps or not and what the adverse reactions are

it's kind of like calling one brand of aspirin an anti headache medicine, another brand of aspirin an anti-menstrual cramps medicine, another brand an anti-fever medicine, type of medicine can be used for more than one thing; that doesn't make it any more or less valid for whatever someone is using it for, if it works
  14. gthompsonrn

gthompsonrn New Member

Is this drug expensive? I have been trying to stick to walleyworld $4.00 drugs due to my loss of income for the past 7 years. Not much sucess helping my symptom though
  15. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I'm still on the 2 week starter pack, but called the pharmacy to be sure it's available.
    It probably will cost well over $100 a month, but if I find it really works I'm going to continue.
    If it works, I guess it's worth it.

It helps that on medicare most of my prescriptions are free.
  16. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I had a very bad day today - not much sleep last night.
    So much pain even vicodin didn't help much. I miss my tramadol.
    When I don't get enough sleep it takes days to recover.
    This was not because of the Savella.

I still have no side effects which makes me very happy.
  17. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

Hi. I'm glad that you are not having any side effects. I know alot of people who have tried it and had to quit because of them. Good luck.
  18. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I got the medicare A, B & D with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida.
    I pay a little extra a month - $49 I believe and I chose the plan that had the best rx coverage since I do take a lot of them
    Most of my prescriptions at Target are now $0. I was pleasantly surprised and didn't expect it.

I still pay a lot for those prescriptions that aren't generic. Like the Limbrel I was taking.
    I stopped the Limbrel when I started the Celebrex. For that amount of money I wasn't sure if it helped or not, so it wasn't worth it. The Celebrex helped immediately for the OA.
    I did give the Limbrel a long trial as you know.

The Savella is going to cost me a lot. I discussed it with my husband and he agreed that if I think it's really helping, I'll get it. The Celebrex is $40 a month and I'm going to continue that too.

[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2009]
  19. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I picked up my new Rx for the Savella on Friday. $ 128.00 for 60
    pills. I have ins. It did not pay any. I am going to have to get the dr. to call ins. They said at the pharmacy that I had to have prior authorization.

I am hoping I can get it straightened out before 30 days are up.
    The nausea I felt at first is going away. I am still having less pain
    in my back neck and shoulders.

20. hensue

hensue New Member

Cathugs havent you been on it about two weeks or has it been that long?
    In the starter pack what mil do you start with and how much do they give you? oh and why do you get sixty do you take 2 a day?