Saw a Doctor on Saturday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I wasnt doing well
    Physical pain, cant focus at work
    Walked out of office 2x in 2 weeks

Thought I should speak to a psych doc since sleep meds arent working, depressed, alot of FM symptoms
    Asked for accomodations in February at work
    3 meetings, nothing but talking

Saw big VP last wednesay who wants to know what's the doctor's treatment plans before he decides what to do about my work accomodations?

Went to hosptial Thurs, 4 biopsies, 3rd hernia in 3 years

Traveled 2 hours by bus Sat morning to psych doc to hear, he has to 'get to know' me before putting together a "treatment plan" and cant see me again for 3 weeks because of the holidays and his court schedule, in the meantime, 'just go back to work and do the best you can, I think alot of your pain, the IBS is from stress, change your lifestyle, join a gym, walk around the block when you get home'

I dont think this doc is the one for me.

2. debhun

debhun New Member

It don't sound like he would be there for you. To busy it seems.

((((hugs))))
    Deb
  3. Didoe

Didoe New Member

He asked why I traveled 2 hours to see him, "there's thousands of psych docs out there."

I explained my family doc, who my husband and I were patients of and used to travel 20 minutes by car, was downstairs in his building. My family doc referred me to this guy.

I was hoping they could work together, coordinate a treatment plan, keep my records together and we could all move forward as a team. I guess that was expecting too much.

He then told me the reason my family doc and all the docs in his area refer patients to him is because, "I'm really good and have helped alot of patients."

His modesty was overwhelming. But clearly too busy and doesnt take FM as anything other than a 'stress' disorder that some time in a gym would improve.

20 minutes with my chiropractor requires 2 days of rest and heat packs from the resulting chills and pain.
  4. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

My dr and rheumy are working together on the pain meds. Its so hard changing drs and we just keep hoping someone out there will listen and understand. I have a wonderful husband who loves and supports me in this but somedays he doesnt understand either.

You know we are here for you and we DO understand.

Suzette
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

I know that feeling. I went to two psychiatrists and two therapists over the years as I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me. They DID get to know me and still did not help! It was a sweet young female doctor who just started her family practice that finally dx me with FMS and depression. She put me on Cymbalta and I improved in weeks. Still have alot of pain...but the depression is far better. I wish you were not alone handling all this. You really need someone to walk in the office with you and advocate for you! As far as work...arent they afraid of violating the ADA laws! Maybe you should ( if you had the energy ) write a anayomous letter to some newspaper or something. I do not even know if I am making sense but I get so upset when you are trying so hard and nothing seems to go right.

When I win that lottery...LOL...you and shalala are first on my list :)
    jmq
  6. Didoe

Didoe New Member

thanks
    for being here
  7. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Joanna:
    Since my illness is legit and I am asking for accomodations, I was being open with everything just to move this issue along. VP said he didnt need something in writing, but it would 'certainly help.' While I am not comfortable having to 'go naked' with personal issues like this, my employer is famous for stringing staff along and doing nothing if they can get away with it.
    It was only after the union forced them to adjust my salary for years of no raises due to revolving door supervisors shifting budget lines to pay their personal hires, that my salary is barely a living wage now. Even with that I am not at parity with comparable jobs in other universities for the degrees earned and years employed.
    That said, if you know of any document I can show them re: Privacy Act while still pushing for accomodations, please let me know, ASAP.
    Thank you.
  8. GoldensRule

GoldensRule New Member

I have found that sometimes physicians recommend other physicians just because they know the other doctor not because they will necessarilly be good for you. I had this happen when I switched insurance networks. My previous physician recommended a doctor who did not think that Fibromyalgia existed (and I had been being treated for it for 18 years at that time). She even checked my arms for track marks. I ran out of her office crying and called my previous physician who apologized and stated that he "didn't really know her but had "heard of her".

I now have a group of caring physicians. My employer tries to accomodate me in any way possible to make it more comfortable for me to work. I realize that I am very lucky and that not every employer is as accomodating as mine is.

I wish you the best!

9. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I agree in an ideal world a more caring employer would be great. Being almost 54, ill with numerous medical problems, running off now to find that ideal employer is less than realistic.

My family doc who recommended this psych also sent me to a rhuemy famous for his abrupt bedside manner and did it without warning me. It is exactly as you suggested, "I hear he's good, not everyone has my bedside manner:)"

I allowed my ex to move me away from my network of support and doctors because of his own bias and now I'm paying the price.

But finding a competent physician is not impossible, exhausting, time consuming, but not impossible. And there are laws in place protecting employees who are legitmately ill.

What I do need is actual law to back up moving forward and any help in that area is deeply appreciated.

I see Dr. Paula Rackoff (rhuematologist knowledgeable about FM) on Monday and hope to report back with some useful info for FM members in the NY area.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2007]
  10. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I saw Dr. Paula Rackoff, Rhuematologist Monday morning 3.26
    will post in separate thread.
    After a weekend of contemplating the nastiness of the psych doc I saw, and thought over some of things he said to me...
    "you're on a tightrope, I dont really know if you're gonna make..." and then tells me he cant see me for 3 weeks, just go back to work and do the best you can..either he's nuts or I'm nuts to continue seeing someone as callous. Oh, and BTW he can only offer me mornings between 9-12 Tues-THurs, take it or leave it.
    Its because he's so good, LMAO
    He's right, there's thousands of shrinks out there and anyone one of them would be nices to deal with.
  11. MKate

MKate New Member

Hi -

You have MEDCIAL issues....please remember that, and find a counselor who knows you just need to have support and patience getting throught the maze of doctors and work issues!

I asked my trainer who would be compassionate -- and she suggested a long-time community member whome she'd known since childhood. Further, she knew and understood my physical disease -- and knew it wasn't "in my head" -- so her referral was the best!

Physician and Counselors working together???? Unless they've formed a practice together --- it probably won't happen. I've asked for that too, but they really don't want it -- unless they've sought it out in their own practices.

Keep looking - and praying for a good referral....REspect Yourself -- and know that you deserve the patience and help -- even if it's just from your own head until you can find a compassionate counselor with a supportive mentality.

Be patient with your work too -- can you go Part-time? That might be a better solution. They can understand that. They don't "Get" disease.

Mkate