saw doctor today.....need sleep advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by piebear, Dec 9, 2005.

1. piebear

piebear New Member

So I saw my primary doctor today about my continuing sleep problems. I was seeing my Rheumy but he is hard to get into see so now I"m trying to do everything through my primary doctor, although he probably knows less about fibro. He's trying though.

I first was on Trazadone. Eventually wore off so was given prozac to take in combination with it, but the prozac made me have anxiety attacks and also made me shakey and jittery. Plus the Trazadone gave me nose bleeds.
    So then tried Ambien. Helped a little with sleep but had horrible side effects like severe depression, feeling groggy, etc, so stopped taking that.

So today I talked to him and he is going to put me on Zoloft for the depression and after a week or so he is going to start me on Mirtazapine (Remeron)to help with sleep. Cause apparently taking them both at the same time is too much? I'll trust him there I guess. He also thinks maybe the Zoloft will calm down my anxiety and depression, in turn helping me sleep better.

I am so freaked about not having anything to help me sleep in the mean time though! We're talking a week or more here. Yikes!
    And then what if the Remeron doesn't work or gives me horrible side effects? I've read mixed things about it.
    I am sooo tired of not sleeping! I'm bumping into walls. =(

I know we all have sleep problems so everyone can understand my frustrations. I just really hate that its taking me so long to find something that works that doesn't have horrible side effects!

But I just wanted to vent and also see what other people thought about my situation and if anyone had any opinions or advice. Thanks in advance!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2005]
  2. maripat

maripat New Member

Piebear I am so sorry to hear about your sleeping troubles.That was a major symptome for mee, after much trial and errors I finally am on Lunesta. I take Lunesta and 1 or 2 Flexarial at bedtime. It has really helped. Good luck in your search for the right combonation.
    maripat
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I was reading your posts and you sound a lot like me in past. I tried everything to help me sleep. The docs tried antidepressants, buzpar, amitriptiline, ambien, sonata. I know there was others....but can't rememeber now.

Anyway, the doc said that he wanted to try klonopin. Well, that has worked for me. I don't feel as though I take anything... as far as side effects go. It helps to relax me...this I can tell. I take flextra along with it (for pain). This combo works for me....at this time! I still have pain while sleeping, but I manage to sleep more than with anything else.

I guess my question before I began rambling was....have you tried klonopin?

MamaR
  4. piebear

piebear New Member

So do you guys think I should give this combo a try? Should I take the Zoloft for a week or so and then try the Remeron like he said? I'm trying to figure out if I should wait it out and see or should I call him today and have him put me on something now for sleep? I just can't figure out what to do. And with the weekend here if I need something I'd have to wait until Monday.
    And no haven't tried the klonopin. That's something to think about though.
    I'm not sure why I don't sleep well. I wake up a lot and sometimes can't turn my brain off before sleep. And now of course I can't sleep cause I'm anxious about not sleeping! lol
  5. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Ahh precious sleep..
    It took a lot of trial and error for me as well, finally, it was Elavil that worked for me.

Knowing how frustrating is not to sleep well... I wish you rest.

Sharon
  6. lin-z

lin-z New Member

dont mean to intrude on this post but i wondered how much elavil you take at night? i just got put on it and am only taking 10 mgs. seems low and not alot of relief(for sleeping) thanks
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I tried Remeron several years ago. Here is what I had written in my notes:

REMERON
    Antidepressant
    Started taking in combination with Paxil, then tapered to only taking Remeron (30 mg). Took at night. Big weight gain (20 pounds in two months). Not sure if due to Paxil or Remeron. Seemed like no benefit antidepressant-wise. If anything, I was more depressed because I had gained so much weight.

Tried Remeron again Jan, 2000 (no Paxil) and immediately had very large appetite. Even taking 150 mg Zantac twice a day didn’t help curb appetite. Couldn’t get enough to eat and never felt “full”. Gained 5 pounds in 4 days. Found it very difficult to wake up in the morning—very groggy and hard to get out of bed. Also woke up during the night about every 45 minutes. Got right back to sleep, though. But the getting out of bed in the morning was VERY tough.

End of my notes on Remeron.

Obviously, I didn't do very well on Remeron. I clearly remember the weight gain being a real issue. I'm not prone to weight gain, so it was very distressing.

I have been through tons of sleep aids. I eventually stopped all SSRI's. They were not for me. The side effects were terrible, and I never saw any benefits. However, anti-depressants are a very personal decision. What is right for me may not be right for you. Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right one.

I currently take 5 mg Ambien and am trying to wean off that also. But that is not an option for you, since you had such bad side effects.

I find the Peaceful Nights from Pro Health helps with sleep. I also find Stormy's shake to help, but it takes awhile to notice an effect. I think some people notice an effect quicker than I did, since I was taking meds.

Tylenol PM (Benadryl) always gets me to sleep, so that could be a temporary solution. I do have hangover effects from Benadryl, though.

I hope you can get some sleep this weekend and next week (and the week after that!). Good luck!

Katy
  8. piebear

piebear New Member

Keep the posts coming! You guys are making me feel better and better. =) I tend to freak out and obsess about things like this, part of the reason I'll be taking Zoloft. Maybe that will help me chill more. ( I drive my husband crazy! lol)

I am beginning to wonder about the fact all the doctors are pushing antidepressants so much. It does bother me some and my husband can't seem to understand it either. I think I could use at least one for the mild depression that I have but two? I don't know why they do that. Guess cause they are known to help people with fibro? I've never noticed any help there. Motrin is what helps me in that area.

I guess I'll try what my doctor suggested. If that doesn't work I'll move on to something else like we all do. Maybe something that isn't an antidepressant. I guess I have to suffer for awhile in order to find something right? I suppose if I get desperate this weekend, I can take the over the counter Simply Sleep or my Trazadone. Least they help me sleep some.

I have considered trying something natural. My mom actually has really been pushing that. I was wondering how many people use them and find them helpful. They don't have any side effects do they?
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

If you want to try something natural, try The Shake. Just do a search on this board and you will find lots of information. It's all just natural food. Some people have commented that they had problems with the whey, but you can always start off with half the amount of whey. And some people have problems with the molasses, if they are diabetic. I really think it is helping my sleep and my mood, and it sure is helping my GI tract.

The basic ingredients are:

Almonds
    Apple
    Flax Seed
    Whey
    Molasses

You might want to add to the title of your post, so people know it's about sleep problems. Something like:

saw doctor today.....need sleep advice

or something like that. You might get more responses. More info is better! Glad you are feeling better about things.

Katy
  10. abbylee

abbylee New Member

It puts me to sleep most of the time, and my pain is better, but I still have pain. In fact, I take more pain meds now than I ever did before (but not much), which is weird since this drug is supposed to help with pain and daytime sleepiness.

11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

There are a variety of natural sleep aids. If you do a search of this site, you should find information.

Since you need help right away, something you have to order won't be much good. Is there a 'health food store' near you? If so, you might go by tomorrow and ask them what they had to help with sleep that would be compatible with the Ambien. Don't forget that herbs (which are drugs) can interact with pharmaceutical drugs.

I, too, am bothered by the pushing of ADs. I suspect that the drug company reps have a lot to do with it. St. John's Wort has been found to be at least as effective as a number of prescription ADs for mild to moderate depression. You might do some research and see if you thought it would be a good choice for you.
  12. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Sorry, I just got back to re-reading this..

I take 50 mg of elavil.. I started out with 25 mg.

Sharon

[ advertisement ]