Saw new doc ...Does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by witsend, Dec 10, 2002.

1. witsend

witsend New Member

Saw neurologist that specializes in FM. He listened very carefully and was very thorough. I told him that I had taken prednisone for a seemingly unrelated problem(chronic sinus congestion without infection) and that my symptoms dissapeared. He said I that I dont have FM (despite 5 other doctors giving me that diagnosis over the years) and that my symptoms and the fact they respond to steroid suggests that I have Addison's or moderate adrenal insufficiency. He said that blind studies show FM does not respond to anti-inflammatories and steroids. He wants me to see an endrocrinologist. It does make sense if I research adrenal insufficiency but why has no doctor in 14 years suggested this or tested for it. Even my background before becoming ill is indicative as I was unable to get pregnant for 8 years. And I also took infertility drugs for several years that have to mess with your endocrine system. What do you think?....I am still in a state of shock.
  2. witsend

witsend New Member

Saw neurologist that specializes in FM. He listened very carefully and was very thorough. I told him that I had taken prednisone for a seemingly unrelated problem(chronic sinus congestion without infection) and that my symptoms dissapeared. He said I that I dont have FM (despite 5 other doctors giving me that diagnosis over the years) and that my symptoms and the fact they respond to steroid suggests that I have Addison's or moderate adrenal insufficiency. He said that blind studies show FM does not respond to anti-inflammatories and steroids. He wants me to see an endrocrinologist. It does make sense if I research adrenal insufficiency but why has no doctor in 14 years suggested this or tested for it. Even my background before becoming ill is indicative as I was unable to get pregnant for 8 years. And I also took infertility drugs for several years that have to mess with your endocrine system. What do you think?....I am still in a state of shock.
  3. BonBons

BonBons New Member

Let your intuition guide your progress and if you are a Christian, pray about discernment in this issue. Just because no docs have seen it before doesn't necessarily mean they were right, or maybe they were right at the time. Wishing you well and at peace. BonBons
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

But we do have such crossover of symptoms, adrenal insufficiency is such a part of this. We are all so consistent with our maladies, I take an anti inflammatory also and it does help, if I run out I can really tell how necessary it is, don't know about the steroid thing. It does seem like every doc has their own opinion and personally I would love to go a week w/o anyone's opinion. If we look at how cluttered our life is with opinions, I guess I am a sourpuss right now as I have been on the butt end recently of opinion about me that hurts.

I would definitely listen to him though, nothing to lose and I think the goal is to be feeling better, it just may help you feel better to go down this road, who really cares what you have if you get better relief.

Jaci
  5. witsend

witsend New Member

Bumping this up .... hoping someone will respond.
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Addison's disease can easily be confirmed by testing, and then you will know for sure. I know of three FMSers, including myself, who have been tested for this and come up negative. All three of us had the indicitive brown stains on our skin, but not on the right places for Addison's...we have them where we sweat, which is more consistent with Devin Starlanyl, M. D.'s theory that even our sweat is chemically abnormal, than with Addisons. Do you have brown stains on the rough skin of your elbows, and heels, or inside your mouth? Are you losing weight? If you are over 50 yrs. old, have you been tested for Polymyalgia Rheumatica? I am not a doctor, but I will be surprised if you have Addison's. Please let us know what happens at your Endocrinologist appt.
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  7. Seagull

Seagull New Member

After diagnosing me with FM and MPS, my rheumy put me on a short (5 days) term of prednisone to see if I also had polymyalgia. I didn't respond until the fifth day and then saw only a slight decrease in pain. He took me off the prednisone, saying that since I did not respond immediately to it, that meant that I did not have polymyalgia. Amazing, huh? :-b
  8. BREN75656

BREN75656 New Member

my suggestion to you would be...to run. Sounds like he is fixing to give you a big run for your money time and body..and finally say you have fms...or will only write it on a piece of paper like my rheumy did.
    hope i hleped
    good luck ,bren