Saw New Doctor Today - Psychiatrist AND Pain Doctor all in one!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BxGirl, Aug 24, 2005.

1. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Well, I had a surprise today! I had an appt. with a new psychiatrist since my old one is trying to screw me regarding my insurance.

He was very nice - a Russian man (very handsome too)! When he saw that I had fibromyalgia, he told me he also is a Pain Doctor. So we talked about my fibro and what I can do.

He said the first thing he wants to do is wait for me to have my sleep study. He thinks it's unlikely I have Narcolepsy and that there may be other reasons for me falling asleep like I do. So my next appointment is scheduled for after the sleep study.

He wants me to get all my labs and x-rays and bring them to my next appointment. He will also do a lot of blood work.

I told him that I have an appointment with an endocrinologist. He introduced me to another doctor there who treats metabolic and endocrine disorders. He said that most endocrinologists "miss" the shady areas of the blood tests (which we all know). So I am going to cancel my appt. with the endocrinologist.

I also had made an appointment with my holistic doctor but I'm going to cancel him too. I mean, how many doctors can I go to?

I had cancelled my rheumy appt. this morning because I can't take too much time off from work. Now I'm not going to reschedule with her because I don't need to see her now.

He also mentioned a hyperbaric chamber to get oxygen into my body. They're getting one in his office soon and thinks it might help me.

He believes that fibro is caused by Autonomic Dysfunction. He also says that you go to this doctor and that doctor but no one puts all the pieces together. He thinks all the systems are connected. I believe that too.

He said that if I get these systems working, then my anxiety levels will go down too.

I am hopeful. Right now he's changing my medications. I told him I don't like to take pain pills because they make me sleepy and groggy during the day. I also told him that I have trouble focusing.

Do you think this might be a "keeper"? He was very nice and considerate. The first thing he asked me is if I want to be addressed by my first name or by "Mrs. so-and-so". I told him to use my first name.

I have an appt. the end of September. Can you imagine? All I wanted was to change psychiatrists and I ended up with a fibro doc!!!!

BxGirl
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

So convenient! Keep us updated. Have you done the hyperbaric chamber before?

I like "What Not to Wear" too - I think you mentioned it in another post. Ah, someday I'll be out of these pajamas! Take care ()
  3. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

No, I've never been in a Hyperbaric Chamber before. I am a bit scared of being inside of one. But I guess I'll wait and see.

I hope this works out okay because I am going to cancel my appt. with the Endocrinologist. I do want a doctor who can deal with it all. Well, the sleep study comes first.

BxGirl