Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by matn, Jan 3, 2006.

1. matn

matn New Member

After being very ill for close to 25 years with almost all the symptoms associated with CFS, MCS & FM, I can finally say SO LONG!. We live in a very toxic environment and we consume very processed and unhealthy food and beverages. I used to be a victim of this condition and I thought it was hopeless after 50+ doctors and now I have recovered (bedridden to working and playing sports). It is not a spontaneous recovery as I tried to eliminate all possible substances that could be toxic or make me ill. It also took some time to get better (a few years) as detoxification is a slow process. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is very unhealthy and the elimination of gluten, dairy, soy, processed foods (anything that does not come directly from the soil), smoked foods, sugar, MSG, caffeine, legumes, vinegar, preservatives, additives, colorants, drugs, vitamins, minerals, most nuts, unfresh foods (cans, packaged foods, frozen foods, previously cut up vegetables), simple carbohydrates and many others. The point is to eat as natural as possible as foods lose their nutritional value as soon as they are harvested. We are suffering from toxicity as well as nutritional deficiencies. You crave certain foods and overeat because your body is not able to absorb and process the right ingredients to keep all of the bodily activities functioning normally. I has terrible digestive problems because I was consuming the SAD and it was toxic! My appetite became normal once I consumed foods that were healthy and the food tasted better. No one in the medical profession could offer me anything to help me get better. I took the initiative to get better and it is possible. My symptoms return anytime I consume processed foods. I primarily eat low starch vegetables, a good source of protein and a small amount of fruit. My major symptoms including, hypoglycemia, digestive upset, missed heartbeats, visual disturbances, brain fog, rashes & seizures disappeared as well.

2. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Congratulations on your recovery! You're proof that if you work at something hard enough, you can accomplish almost anything! There has been much talk lately about consuming raw foods only and the raw food diet. Can I assume this is what you're talking about, or is this not correct?

I'd be curious to see what kind of meals you eat during the week, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That would be great information for people who only know the SAD.

3. kch64

kch64 New Member

Wait... that's from a processed food (LOL). Its wonderful that you're better.

Thanks for letting us know. Sounds like good advice to me.

4. shep

shep New Member

I too eat the SAD Diet and it does make me sad and in lots of pain.
    I am very happy for you!
    I too would be interested in a list of the foods that are in your diet and maybe a couple days of menus or some recipes you use to prepare your food.
    Best of luck for your future, now that you fell like really living.
  5. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

can you give us some examples of what you eat for protein? I am diabetic and am "watching" the carbs, but you are making me think about eating them at all, except in the veggies and fruits. I have severe spasms and I have read that we have them because of the toxic waste that is stuck in between the muscle fibers and that massage moves this stuff out and that it improves blood flow to the muscle, hence making them feel better. You are really making sense to me. I'll bet it was very hard just to find the right foods to eat and how many times a day you eat...Do you eat meat? Drink milk, eat cheese? What about breads? I feel like a 3 year old asking all these questions. I am very interested. Sissy
  6. jane32

jane32 New Member

I saw your other posts-can you give me your banana cookie recipe?

7. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Glad to hear you are still doing well. Your diet would be ideal for me, but I have such a hard time keeping it up. The holidays were really tough. Too many temptations!

I do it as much as I can and my health is greatly improved.

Some things don't work for me, such as ginger tea. I get a major Crohn's-like reaction from that.

I keep wondering if there is something we could take such as the right probiotic so we wouldn't have to be quite so strict with our diet.
  8. matn

matn New Member

Hello Chris:

Please see my profile for additional information. I eat whenever I am hungry; sometimes 6 - 8 meals per day. I always eat balanced with a good source of protein, low starch carbs and a good lipid (fat) such as olive oil or macadamia nuts or wild salmon. One of my stapes is a mix of close to 20 vegetables that I cook over very low heat with some olive oil and a touch of sea salt. In the morning, I start with some fruit (banana, cherries, apples, strawberries, pear but no citrus), a scrambled egg with dill and my mix of vegetables. There is no limit on quantity with the rule being that you must always eat the balance of protein, carbs & lipids. Another popular meal is a salad with as much fresh vegetables as possible. I add a source of protein such as turkey, chicken or fish to it with olive oil only as the dressing.

Hope this helps!

9. matn

matn New Member

Hello Shep:

Please visit my profile for additional information regarding what I eat. I eat mostly low starch veggies, a good source of protein and a healthy fat with every meal (6 - 8 per day). I do not gain weight on the diet. I do not eat anything that I am allergic to (from Elisa testing) or anything restricted according to the Eat Right For Your Type diet, or any of the yeast promoting foods. Also, nothing processed.

Hope this helps!

10. matn

matn New Member

Hello Sissy:

It did take awhile to determine what is good and not good for me to eat, but now it seems to be very simplistic. Whatever comes out of the ground directly or feeds from what comes out of the ground directly is generally OK. However, I do not consume any gluten (bread), dairy (cheese & milk) or soy as these all contain a significant amount of glutamic acid plus the proteins in these foods are toxic to many people. They all made me dreadfully ill. We need good source of carbohydrates but those with a high glycemic index are not good. A lot of the SAD is based on simple carbs with sugar added and it is no surprise to me that diabetes is rampant. The low starch vegetables are very healthy and I consume them with every meal. Please read my profile for additional information.

11. matn

matn New Member

Hello Prunella:

It is interesting that you get a reaction to ginger as I also sometimes get a reaction to it as well. It is a potent herb, so it is certainly capable of eliciting a response. I get less of a reaction if I add it to a stir fry. All foods contain thousands of substances and I would imagine that the dose can elicit a response in sensitive individuals.

12. matn

matn New Member

Hello Jane:

Take one egg and mix it with a fork. Add two ripe bananas with black specs on the peel. Mush this all together. Add about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of organic brown rice flour to the is mix it up (by hand is fine). With a spoon, place it on metal surface (cooking pan can be lined with aluminum foil as there is nothing acidic in the recipe to leach out the aluminum) and cook at 350 - 375 F for 20 - 30 minutes. They are done when the edges start to brown. Just a word of caution: This is a relatively high glycemic index food. It should not be the main staple in your diet. However, it is good for those who need to have something sweet (sugar comes from the bananas) with some calories. It can make you tired if you have a tendency to be hypoglycemic. I no longer eat them as I find the fresh fruit much more beneficial. Heat destroys a lot of the delicate nutrients.

13. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Congrats, MATN, on your hard work and diligence and success. Tx for sharing with us here and hopefully giving some inspiration to others.

14. roge

roge Member

may i ask what detox strategies you employed?

I am very close to buying an infarred sauna myself.

15. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Sorry to say, but I haven't seen matn around here ... I checked his/her profile and he/she has not posted since June 2006...

His / her story was very inspirational for me when I first came to this site ...

Checkout the post by Wolverine about the failsafe diet to learn more about what matn is talking about ...

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2007]
  16. roge

roge Member

guess like many who get better, they are long gone.

I know if I get better, I will still stick around or at least post once and while to help others.

I am not a big believer in diet alone curing FM or CFS, can certainly help and I do believe it can play a pretty big role along with proper nutrition in general and like Mat said, reducing toxic load is important too and a lot of that is from bad food that is out there, so yes eating the good foods and staying away from the toxic ones can certainly contribute to an overall recovery.
  17. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Good to see you back encouraging people! I'm glad it's still working for you.

I met a woman years ago who's husband has MS, who described the same type of diet as you are recommending, and she said that it helped keep his symptoms from advancing to the next stage for years. The theory is that a body in distress and fighting like ours (or his) needs all of it's strength, and if it has to fight to process the foods and remove the toxins from it, it cannot help itself to recover and heal. This toxic overload is a huge detriment in the body's ability to recover.

The human body is magnificent, but it can only do just so much at one time.

You are correct, people crave foods and over eat because the body is still calling for the nutrients it has not gotten!! Your grocery bill will be lower if you buy less because you buy better food that satisfies your body nutritionally. Processed food is the highest food dollar for dollar there is.

18. frankie78

frankie78 New Member

matn- (or others eating a similar diet...)

I was hoping you could give me some advice. What you're recommending really makes sense to me, but how do you even begin to eat that way when you can't stand to cook, or even cut vegetables. At this point, I can make it from the bedroom to the couch and that's about it. By necessity I keep food by the couch, but it has to be food that doesn't need to be refridgerated or prepared, really. Dinner is better, my husband prepares it. We always have salads, and I'll snack on veggies and hummus in the evening. But do you have any suggestions for incorporating this diet in my condition?

Many thanks,
  19. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I changed my diet 2 1/2 years ago. It has not cured me but it helped a lot. I TOTALLY understand what you mean about the cooking etc. A lot of times I too just do not feel up to getting in the kitchen and cooking a bunch of food. I cook sometimes but most of the time by boyfriend cooks dinner for me.

HOWEVER...there are things you can do. If you want to keep food by the couch that is fine and you can do that with healthy foods. You can keep a bowl of fruit by the couch and snack on that. You don't need to refrigerate apples, oranges, bananas, raisins etc.

Also you can keep nuts and seeds by your couch too. Those are also healthy foods that don't need to be refrigerated.

I would start with those things and hopefully you can get to a point where you can get up to the fridge. (or you could maybe buy a mini fridge to keep by the couch) Then you can snack on veggies too if you buy some precut or have your hubby cut them for you.

Try to work up to a point where you can get to the kitchen. Then you can eat stuff in the fridge like veggies or maybe left over dinners etc. and maybe be up for cooking sometimes.

Good Luck!
  20. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Matn said:

"The Standard American Diet (SAD) is very unhealthy and the elimination of gluten, dairy, soy, processed foods (anything that does not come directly from the soil), smoked foods, sugar, MSG, caffeine, legumes, vinegar, preservatives, additives, colorants, drugs, vitamins, minerals, most nuts, unfresh foods (cans, packaged foods, frozen foods, previously cut up vegetables), simple carbohydrates and many others. "

IMHO - This is the key. It's NOT just a matter of eating healthy foods.

These foods (gluten, soy, corn, dairy and eggs) are so overused in our daily lives they are becoming a problem for us ... Chemicals are just bad for us.

Whole veggies and fruits and all natural meats are the best way to go.

Hope this helps ... Marcia

[This Message was Edited on 11/06/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2007]