says Rhuem "Overwhelmed by depression"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I've had my first round of bloodwork completed by new rhuem in NYC. Dr. Rackoff is an award winning rhuematologist.

I cant say enough good things about her. Totally no nonsense, straight forward, brilliant and compassionate. Ever see a doctor cry? I'm in that bad a shape from stress.

She confirmed the fibromyalgia but said my depression has to be treated first because its overwhelmed everything else.
    She also stressed the point that (she's considered an expert) that depression and fibromyalgia are inseparable, can't treat one without the other. I'm writing this for anyone trying to escape from dealing with the emotional issues, because I've been desperately trying to do that. I have not had good successes with the psych field, in fact its been more devastating taking meds that put on tremendous weight and made me even more depressed.

Dr. Rackoff also put me on therapuetic doses of Vit D and B12, I'm very deficient in both. So much for taking mega doses of vitamins, maybe with the IBS I'm not absorbing enough.

But I think the best medicine was hearing her say, "I'll get you through this, don't worry."
    Then we both cried. Don't misunderstand me, she's 'normal' healthy and very business like. I'm the mess, she's just an amazing doctor.

2 month waiting list for 1st consult, she's in NY at Beth Israel, Philips Div. at 14th St.
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

I just went to a top notch Rheumy and I can barely move now ... lol. He really worked over my joints and tender points ... OH MY. I am going to a psychiatrist (sp) May 2nd to handle my anti-depressants ... and work on my depression. My rheumy didn't order any bloodwork or tests other than xrays of my neck and shoulders. I found that very weird. He said he didn't need to xray knees ... he could hear the OA in them. Did he not think I am as bad as I think I am??? I can barely move ... walk with a cane. I am on a cpap machine. Holy cow!!! Glad your visit was more comforting than mine. He doesn't want to see me again for 6 months!!!
  3. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Dr. Rackoff was my 'second opinion' doctor. The first rhuem threw a prescription for one med at me (I can't remember the name!) and said there's nothing else any doctor can do for fibro.

I'm not in denial about my depression, I just haven't had any luck with antidepressants and felt it was a hopeless situation and tried focusing on the physical issues. She's telling me I've reached a point physically that I can't go that route anymore. I've made a lot of life changes this year, mostly to clean up personal garbage in my life, but doing that has taken a huge toll on my health in every area.

She said just because one doc or some meds didnt work doesnt mean nothing will work. If she's got the strength to take this on, I certainly have to pull it together to work with her.
  4. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I love your name so much:) when I see you posted I just always go to see what 'froggy' has to say LMAO

FM is a 'team' illness, we see this from the way all of us post and help with our different attempts to treat it. I can't be bothered with DRs who are so arrogant and too many are, that they either throw a pill in your face or give you blanket statements...its their way or the highway. If you knew what these illnesses were, why we have them and what to do, I would say okay doc you know best...but they dont so to follow them like blind sheep or for that matter, any protocol, is not the way I work. I've struggled with this illness since the 80s and not until 2006 did any doc take the menu of symptoms I had seriously. I've had it with arrogant DRs.
    One of the worst recently was the pscyhologist I saw who scared the heck out of me with his bullying and aggressiveness. I could hardly walk into his office I was so depressed, I probably should've been hospitalized...he was so cocky he told me try walking around the block when I got home from work and then made me an appt to see him in 3 weeks later. He said, "I can cure you, dont worry."
    Think we're sick? Some of the DRs out there are in places I would never want to be.
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

and then saw this post. I am crying with you. ( relief and happiness for you ) I was so worried about you. THANK GOD you found a wonderful doctor. She sounds amazing. I agree that it is part of fms too but I have started therapy 3 times with different therapists and hated it. I know its avoidance too. I just do not like to dwell on the past and want quick fixes to move on. Alot gets burried that way.

Maybe once I get my job issues squared away, I will be brave and try therapy again.

So good to hear from you,
    jmq
  6. momof471

momof471 New Member

Can't beat that appointment. I tend to agree that one feeds off of the other depression and fibro. Although I feel the fibro came first. Once your in it you are in it and it doesn't really matter though. She sounds like a great doc and I know its wonderful to have a doc in your corner.

God Bless