Scalp biopsy for hair loss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by thelionrose, Aug 10, 2006.

1. thelionrose

thelionrose New Member

Has anyone had a scalp biopsy for their hairloss? I had 3 and they all showed scarring, which means that some hairfollicles have been permently destroyed and will not grow back. This is seen in Lupus, but the dermatologists (3 different ones) have told me that it is not Lupus. It could be that CFS has an autoimmune component to it and this allows that body to attack the very hair on its head. Maybe there should be more Lupus type treatments for this proble. Have any of the Lupus Hairloss patients out there been able to save their hair?
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I recently developed scalp psorosis. I had several tick bites in my scalp. I have not been to a dermatologist, YET.

My Dr is treating it with a steriod solution and fungal shampoo. I have not been dxz with Lupus, but have butterfly rash on my neck, but not a mylar rash,

I have already been told my auto immune is shot.

Did you have the scabs and scaley? Or just the hair loss. Mine is scaley with raised scabs.

Carla
  3. thelionrose

thelionrose New Member

No, I do not have any outward changes that you can see on my scalp. The scarring is in the dermal or inner layer of the scalp where the root of the hair follicle is. On the slide you see only scar tissue where there used to be hair follicles and oil glands.