Scalp pain due to FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aquabugs, Sep 6, 2005.

1. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

I was just recently formally diagnosed with FMS/CFIDS but have had symptoms for quite some time. Lately the fibro seems to be worse, with lots of muscles spasming and odd pain. One of the most annoying problems lately has been a burning pain on the part of my scalp that touches my pillow when I lay down at night. A while back I got to the point that I could only sleep on my softest pillow without pain in my scalp. Now it's every night, no matter what pillow I use. I lay down, the burning pain on the back of my head starts and I start squirming and readjusting my head, trying to find a spot that is comfortable. The pain is an intense burning sensation and seems to be getting worse. Do any of you experience this? Is it a part of fibro? What do you all do for it? I've finally resorted to rolling my pillow up under my neck to keep my head from resting on it. That helps the head pain, but then of course neck and back muscles start in from that posture. Can't seem to find relief!

Thanks
    Sylvia
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Yes, Fibro can affect your head. It would seem like one part of the body would get a break!

I don't have burning pain, but very tender areas. Never have had them prior to my diagnosis.

My stylists had always told me how good I was, no matter what they were doing. I don't hear that as much now! LOL

I am sure you have many more replies.

What a pain, huh?

Kim
  3. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Yes, it seems like there would be some area that didn't hurt! LOL

Well, at least it doesn't get boring as I never know what will happen next between the fibro and the autoimmune disorder it tags along with.

Anyone have any ideas to alleviate the head pain or accomodate it so that just laying on a pillow is not so uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Sylvia
  4. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

for me it is chronic myofascial pain syndrome of trigger points. it is like having rubber bands stretched taut, and the rubber bands connected one to another so that several areas are affected. Google Travell and Simons trigger points or Claire Davies as he has a simpler self-treatment book. Most traditional docs looked at me like i was nuts when i said that my scalp and face hurt--but then i learned about trigger points and it is all perfectly explainable. I hope this helps. Jen
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

as well, on the top of my head. Sometimes I take my pain lotion and rub it directly on my scalp on that particular area that is hurting.
    Raz
  6. SafeHarbor

SafeHarbor New Member

I have the pain on and around my head. At times it feels like I have a tight head band on. When I react to what I think is stressfull I can feel the tightness start at the bottom of my head and it runs up to the top of my head. It drives me nuts and of course when I try not to react to stress then it seems to get worse. So it is a visious cycle. Noise can bother me. Another thing might be people getting in my space. Other things can be physical strain. I grit my teeth and jaws. At night I grind them, so I've been told. I sleep on a curved pillow, which I would be a wreck without. The muscle spasms come and go. Not even sure what brings them on. I find it much easier to cope with life the simpler it is, but we don't have much of a choice with some of the things that cause us stress. I like to work at my own pace. I think I become easily frustrated with things that I don't understand and I feel like I cannot do things very well. I'm realy hard on myself and that may be part of what brings these symptoms on.
  7. kgtexan

kgtexan New Member

I know it will sound crazy, but I have the same problem & something that helps is pulling my hair in the area where the pain is. My massage therapist says the myofascia "adheres" to the scalp when it is so tight. That's probably not a very good explanation. But there is a lack of circulation in the area.

She will grab a handful of hair & pull steadily on it for maybe 30 seconds. She does this repeatedly and in various areas of my scalp. Eventually she will actually feel it release. It hurts when she does it, but by the time she is finished, the scalp pain is usually gone. I think it gets the blood circulating again.

Kathy

8. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

I appreciate your suggestions

Sylvia
  9. Pen-hen

Pen-hen New Member

I know this sounds crazy...but I was in alot of pain in my head, doing all kinds of weird things !! Finally..one morning, was getting ready to take a shower, and it dawn on me, my Shampoo !! Since I quit using it, no more pain.

I used the same shampoo for years, so now I won't used it no more.

Maybe that well help you, I don't know, but sure did me.

Thanks,
    Norma