Scared Myself...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froggyfog, Jan 21, 2007.

1. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I scared myself and its not the first time...Took my daughter to look for some clothes...of course she wanted to go to the larger town...so I drove a hour there shopped(I sat most of the time) then started back home. Well I was about 10 miles from the town I live in and I looked at an exit sign and could not remember if it was the right exit to take or not. I have lived here my whole life and have went to this larger city about a billion times. But here I am all confused. I went ahead and took the exit only to have to get back on the interstate because I shouldn't of exit at all. When I do this type of stuff it scares me to death! These incidents like this are the reason I think I need to stop working. What is wrong with me...is this just my fibro???
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

Sounds like you were in some type of fog. It is scary when this happens, thank goodness you made it back home and are safe. These moments can happen all of a sudden, so you probably do have these incidents at work too.

Kriket
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Here's a copy of a post I did about neurotransmitters. When I supplement with "brain food", I can read more and think much more clearly. Neurotransmitters aren't just responsible for depression, also reading and some other important functions in the body.

Assuming the depression is an imbalance or lack of some neurotransmitters, you may want to try the simple nutrients that your body uses to make them. I haven't been depressed for awhile (since I've been feeling better) but now, when I read alot, my neuros get low and my brain fog increases. So I take these and it takes care of it. Below is a copy of my post to someone else with anxiety and depression. These things may sound "funky" but they are all chemicals either found in food or your body makes to use from other ones in food. So they are natural and since they aren't drugs, your doctor won't know about them. Have you tried 5htp? That's the only one not listed here:

There are many other neurotransmitters that are important besides serotonin.
    Some other neurotransmitter "nutrients" like 5htp you can try are:

phosphatidyl choline
    phosphatidyl serine - amino acid
    TMG (trimethylglycine) - amino acid
    phenylalanine - amino acid
    tyrosine - amino acid
    DMAE (is molecularly similar to choline) - amino acid
    B vitamins
    threonine (everybody spells this one differently)

Here's some interesting stuff about "neuros":

5-HTP---converts to--->Serotonin---converts to--->Melatonin

Phenylalanine---converts to--->Tyrosine---converts to--->DOPA---converts to--->Dopamine
    ---converts to--->Norepinephrine---converts to--->Epinephrine (aka adrenaline)

Note that norepinephrine is a key neurotransmitter AND an adrenal hormone.

Here's some neuros, what they're for, sign of deficiencies, and the nutrients your body needs to make it:

Serotonin: for Emotional Stability
    deficiency causes: Lack of rational emotion, feelings of irritability, sudden unexplained tears, sleep problems
    body needs: 5HTP or L-tryptophan, Calcium and Magnesium

Dopamine: for Pleasure, reward, good feelings toward others, maternal/
    paternal love
    deficiency causes: Anhedonia - No pleasure, world looks colorless, inability to "love", no remorse about personal behavior
    body needs: L-phenylalanine, Vitamin B6

Norepinephrine: for Arousal, energy, drive
    deficiency causes: Lack of ambition, lack of drive, depression
    body needs: L-phenylalanine
    Vitamin B6

GABA: for Staying calm
    deficiency causes: Free floating anxiety, feelings that things are closing in around you, unexplained panic
    body needs: L-glutamine, Vitamin B6

Enkephalins: for Psychological pain relief
    deficiency causes: Feelings of incompleteness, lack of fulfillment, feelings of inferiority, feelings of inadequacy, never feels "equal," fearful, insecure feelings
    body needs: D-phenylalanine, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid (a B vitamin)

Tryptophan is the least common amino acid in food. It is also the most difficult to absorb into the brain. These make serotonin synthesis more difficult. Although tryptophan is mainly found in fish, meat, dairy products, eggs, nuts and wheat germ, eating these does not substantially increase serotonin. This is because these foods contain other amino acids that compete with tryptophan for absorption. Tryptophan “loses out” to the other amino acids.

Eating carbohydrates raises serotonin levels but eating protein decreases serotonin levels. Carbohydrates cause an insulin response that favors tryptophan absorption over other amino acids. This explains why many people who need more serotonin (like being overly-stressed or depressed) start to “self-medicate” by eating more sweets or starchy carbohydrates. As tryptophan absorption rises, so will serotonin production.

EFAs (essentail fatty acids) are also critical for brain function.

The levels and function of several neurotransmitters can be increased by the supply of their dietary precursors. The neurotransmitters include serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline, histamine, acetylcholine and glycine, which are formed from tryptophan, tyrosine, histidine, choline and threonine (amino acids).

This is why alot of us are loading up on free form amino acids. Our broken bodies cannot product them in sufficient quantities.

hope this helps,

karen