Scared of Trigger Pt/Myofascial release massage will it hurt?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockymtnmom, Nov 6, 2006.

1. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I know I am probably being a baby about this, but I have had so many massages feel like assaults upon my body that now that I have finally found someone experienced in myofacial release and trigger point therapy I am really afraid of the pain when I go.

I know that if I tense up, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I want to get better so badly - if I have to deal with pain I will but it would help me to be prepared.

Any advice??

Kim
  2. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

I am happy that you are getting these treatments. I will say that they are not fun to endure, but have great results!!! I don't know of any massage therapy that wouldn't hurt at this point.

The Myofacial release treatments are the ones that hurt the worst for me. But, as I stated above, they are the best for treating our dd. The long term effect is way worth it!!! I just wish that I could afford them now! Hope I didn't scare you, just wanted you to be aware!!

Good luck! Don't drink caffeine, or you will be more tense. Drink a lot of water before and after as this type of massage will release tons of toxins and it is best to keep them flushed out of your system! You will be so happy that you did this!!!

HUGS,
    Lisa
  3. forfink

forfink New Member

Have the therapist start out very lightly so you can hardly feel it. Then have her/him go deeper if you feel it still feels GOOD. No reason to suffer.....
  4. TKE

TKE New Member

Ask them to do a 20 minute moist heat pack first. I had a month of PT for DDD/herniation in lower back & MPS in shoulders & neck. They always did the heat packs first to relax the muscles before they did the deep massage. Yeah it hurt some, but by the time thye were done it felt so much better :).

It was also better if I sat in a chair for them to do my shoulders. Made it easier for them to get to the really bad ones & get them to release.

5. suz45

suz45 New Member

Kim:

No you are not a baby, with all the things we go through to find relief it can be scary to let go and trust that another paerson manipulating our bodies won't hurt us.

I see a chiro that is trained in MPS release, and he always uses heat (drapes me in warm/moist towels) before working on me. This makes the world of difference. Loosens up the muscles, helps one to relax too. Talk to the therapist about your concerns, a good therapist will go slow. There will be some pain and discomfort at first but I think you will find it a release once you see how the trigger point is released. I go back on Wednsday and I Have to say that the pressure point release and dstreching always makes me feel good afterward. Just make sure you communicate with the therapist. However, they are usually really good on picking up on "body" language just by your tension and will usually go easy. Let us know how you make out. I think you will be okay.

In wellness,

Suz45
  6. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I feel much better now. I will request heat if they don;t do it automatically - I will be going to a chiro for both the triggerpoint/MFP treatments, and I am also requesting accupuncture because of the new Mayo study results.

Kim
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

It really isn’t that bad and you feel so much better afterwards.

I didn’t have a therapist who used heat packs before therapy, so I soaked in a bathtub of hot water before I went.

One of my therapist had me take a deep breath and exhale while she pressed on the trigger point. This keeps you from tensing up.

Be sure to drink plenty of water before and after therapy since it can release trapped toxins into your system. (But be sure your bladder can make it through the therapy session.)
  8. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I will definitely pursue the links and threads you recommended.

I also have Devin Starlanyl's book about FM vs FMP. It has helped me understand the differences, and why I can't get stronger til I rid myself of these TPs.

I actually saw a double-headed percussive massager last night - my hubby and I were jokingly using it on eachother wondering who got the most relief - the bonker or the bonkee (sorry).

Anyway, my 1st appointment will have to be delayed to next week due to babysitting issues, so I'll use the time to do more investigating.

Thanks again!
    Kim