Scared Sever Pain in Hip, thigh and shin Anyone else??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sfrazier, Dec 22, 2007.

1. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Woke up last night in the worst of pain. My hip and thigh and shin pain. I have never had any pain like this before and have no idea what it could be. I need help. I have never felt pain this bad. It was off the scale at about a 12. It finally settled down to about a 7 and has stayed there thank god. I can deal with that at least. Has anyone ever had something like this before or know of anyone who has had pain like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.........SueF
  2. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Good morning, sorry you had such bad pain. Could it be the Siatic Nerve? It causes terrible pain right down to the foot . Also, it could be the Sacril Joint. It sends pain to the hip and down the leg as well. Of course, the best thing to do is go the Dr. Nobody here can tell you WHAT it is. Try putting ice on it, for the inflammation, and then heat.

Merry Christmas.
  3. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Bumping for more support for Sue.
  4. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

It sure does sound like siatica pain or sacralic.....I have had injections for both, by a pain management doc...that seems to help....for awhile...had the nerve deadend also....Hope you find some relief very soon.
  5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

doloresf1 thank you for the bump. Any info is a help.

happycanuk & Cindy, I do have a herniated disc but it wasn't that bad when it was first discovered. Maybe it's time to take a second look at it and see what is going on with it. I've hear of siatica pain but if that is what I have I never knew it would cause that much pain. I'm not sure what sacralic is but I'll look more into that and see if it describes what the pain was like. Either way sounds like I'll have to go back to the doctor. Not looking forward to that. I have a Rhuemy and a Pain Management so I'll probably end up going to both. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.......SueF
  6. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Anyone else have any suggestions?........SueF
  7. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I have pain in those areas. Because the pain is in the front or outside of my leg, I don't think it's sciatica pain, which runs down the back. I've done some searching and found it's one of the fibromyalgia symptoms. Isn't everything?

I think you should get your herniated disks checked out again. It could be that some activity you've done has caused some movement in the disk and it's landed on a nerve.

8. chula61

chula61 New Member

I also suffer from pain in my right leg, which is shorter than the left. I'm seeing a massage therapist who is performing myofascial release on me. I also have fibro and restless leg, etc., when she works on me, she starts where the pain is the worst and it connects to my hip bone and then reaches all the way up to my right back shoulder blade. The fascia is all connected. You might want to check into to seeing a massage therapist, you might be surprised.
  9. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Nancy, My pain is on the sides of my hip and thigh and then the shin ares so I'm not sure if it's my sciatica either. I plan on calling my Rhumey on Tuesday and letting him know about this too. He can take another look at my disc and see it it's moved or gotten worse or something.

nofool since I was in bed when the pain first started I thought like you and tried different positions to see if the pain would let up some. Nothing helped. I even tried moving it up and down like riding a bicycle hoping that would help. Once again didn't even phase it. I got up and paced for awhile and then sat down to log it into my jorunal and it finally lessend up enough to go back to be. Since then the pain has stayed with me just not to that extreme. Most days and nights it's at about a 7.

chula61 I've heard so many good things about massages but not sure if my insurance will cover it. Will have to check. I've also read a lot on here about myofascial pain. I don't recall anyone saying anything about it being in hip bones and the shin area but I could be wrong so please anyone that disagrees with me on that let me know.

Thanks everyone for writing and giving me more suggestions to look into. I'm up for anyones opinion on what this could be. Especially since I still have it just not to the extreme that it was that night.

I hope everyone is having or had a very Merry Christmas. Now we only have New Years day to get though. lol....SueF
    [This Message was Edited on 12/25/2007]
  10. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Hi Sue. I'm back. I just discovered something called sacroiliac joint disorder. Do a search on it and see if it describes your pain. I'm pretty sure this is what I have. "Just" another form of arthritis. Boy, that disease sure gets around!!

11. liberty143

liberty143 New Member

Is your pain on the top of your thigh? do you have a raise area where it hurts the most? Is it your left thigh? Does it seem to start at the far bottom side of your buttock into your thigh and down to your shin?

12. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Karen thanks for your support. I do plan on having it checked out as soon as the holidays are done if i can last that long.

Nancy I did look up that sacroiliac joint disorder but the symptoms don't really apply to what I am having.

nofool thanks for the update. my pain starts more in the left thigh area the the buttock area so not sure if it could be the sciatica nerve or not.

liberty no there is no raised area just the pain and it starts right there at the hip area runs straight down into the thigh area and then into the shin area. I've never had this and am so confused by it. I know it's not the fibro and the meds that i take don't even touch it......SueF
  13. soozan48

soozan48 New Member

i am much worse and don't know how much more of this pain i can tolerate. I see my rheumy in a couple weeks and am going to have to tell him i need better pain relief. this is nuts suffering like this.
  14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Do your knees hurt too? The leg pain you describe a sounds a lot like mine. I have severe hip pain at the hip joint, goes down the sides of my thighs, to my knees, then to my shins, and then the ankle. Do your joints hurt all over? If so you may want to be tested for lyme diease, that is what I have. My pain is very bad, I have to take pretty strong pain meds daily, just to stand the pain of it. You really might want to get tested! i never even thought about having lyme before I tested possitive for it. Whatever is causing your pain, I pray you find out what it is very soon!

15. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

when i get pain that starts in my hip i use either volteran or celebrex. both are prescrition anti-inflamatories which normally don't work for evryday pain, but they do work for that pain that seems to involve my leg joints.
    i hope this helps.
  16. desertlass

desertlass New Member

After you have everything else ruled out, consider the sacroiliac joint again. I have a very long thread on it called "Hip, Butt, Tailbone, Leg pain."

You can look it up under my username.

There are many people who replied to it, so maybe you will find something of use in it.

The best resource for information on this problem is a PT called Richard DonTigny, who is retired, but still is kind of a guru when it comes to lower back issues.

Hope the doctors can help you, and I'm so sorry for your pain. Severe nerve pain can be really bad no matter what it causing it.

17. virtuoso

virtuoso New Member

You have just described my pain exactly. So, what does it mean?

18. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

soozan48 i know what ddd and fms stand for but what again is oa? i hope you get the relief that you are looking for from your rhumey.

kellyann i have never been tested for lyme that i know of. that is something i'll have to check into with my pc doctor and maybe have her run some blood work for me.

rachel i'm on Diclofenac SOD 50mlgs so might need to add another one to my list of meds. will have to talk to my rhumey about that one.

lisette i tried looking up that thread but i couldn't find anything. how far back do you think it was started? i went back as far as september. do i need to go further back?

virtuoso your right about wondering what liberty143 was writing about. she seemed to know something. i wish she had written just a little bit more. hopefully she will check out this post again and see that we need her input........SueF
    [This Message was Edited on 12/27/2007]
  19. liberty143

liberty143 New Member

I have the pain I described and feel it is due to my FM.

I have small and larger hard lumps in my big muscles that just ACHE. The largest one was on the top of my left thigh. When I went to a FM doctor for the first time, she had the nurses and PAs come in to see "the biggest fibro nodule" she had ever seen. (Ihave had it since 1983). And, that was the place that seemed to hurt the worst and first. She "mapped" me (did an exam and palpated all the lumps = nodules) and found them down the outside of my arms, between my ribs, in my buttocks and thighs. These were all my 'aching' Centers.

I believe my knots/cause of pain are fibro nodules...I believe nodules are muscle areas where waste products have built up and inflammation has followed. I don't know what causes FM to start (I think many folks on these threads are piecing it together) but I do know that those nodules and the pain are getting MUCH BETTER.

The FM doctor put me on Dr. St. Armand's Guaifensin protocol (What Your Doctor May Not Be Telling You About Fibromyalgia) and all my fibro nodules are SLOWLY decreasing in size and pain. The very contour of my thighs and arms has changed.tHIS IS MY FIRST "PHYSCIAL" proof of anything about FM. (Except feeling bad and hurting).
    I also have a great massage therapist who works (who says the muscles with the nodules feel "mushy" and don't respond like normal muscles) my muscles with nodules to help them 'release' pretty often and it hurts like the devil and it's expensive but I think it is speeding things up.

And, I just really started practicing the chronic hypoglycemia diet in the same book and that has helped the fatigue AND the ups and downs of anxiety?, dizziness, just feeling really BAD and feeling generally terrible like I was going to die.

Hot showers help and a stretching routine helps. Not like on regular DVD's but rather slow, 30 second long stretches that stretch the buttock and thigh trigger points and the neck and shoulder.
    For the buttock pain, get on your hands and knees and gently and slowly swing your hip to one side and you will feel that knot "pull". Don't go too far in the beginning or it might spasm on you. If you try different positions, like lean forward in this position and then swing your hip you will get the stretch in another buttock knot.
    Then, for the legs, slowly do all the stretches you see runners do, but hold each stretch for 30 seconds and breathe slowly and 'into the muscle'. I really like to grab my foot from the side/back and to pull it up towards the back of my head so it stretches the thigh. Be Gentle!
    I suggest you lookup other Guaifenesin threads on this site and take a look at the book. It takes some commitment (I first started it 2 years ago and didn't keep up) but
    this all is helping me a lot.
    Less stress (HA!), more sleep and plain 'just down time' has helped, too. Oh, 1 -2 gallons of water a day, also.
    I feel 60% better with all of this and still expect ongoing results with the Guaifenesin.
    Sorry this is so long.

Good Luck,
  20. virtuoso

virtuoso New Member

Thank you for sharing your treatment protocol. Unfortunately I can't follow the Guaifensin protocol for now, but maybe sfrazier can look into that. The rest of the information is very helpful though.

Thanks again,