Scared to death of accupuncture What should I do??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by mrsjethro, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I've searched and found a lot of helpful information on accupuncture both here and on other research documents. I've seen the studies that show that this alternative treatment helps. For lack of a better way of putting it - I believe in the alternative therpaies - I use a lot of various ones and have tried many, many things. I know that there is no way that I'm going to know until I just go do it, whether it will help mine or not. The problem is that I am scared to death.

I'm afraid it's going to hurt during the process. I'm afraid that it's going to hurt a lot worse after the first session or two, and/or I'm afraid that it will put me right back down again. I've not had very many up days over the course of the last 4 or 5 months. They come in spurts and last for a few days and then I'm down again.

If you've had any experience with this......would you do it again?? Are you still doing it?? Does it hurt??
    Thanks,
    "Big Chicken" - MrsJ
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I donot have any experence with this but I have thought about it.If I could find a good doctor I would do it in a min.
    I think if it hurt we would have heard about that already.I have only heard good things about it.Do not let your fear keep you from something that might be wonderful for you.After all people have been doing this for ever.There must be something to it.
    Good luck let us know how it goes
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have done this regularly for years and it is very helpful for me. The needles are so fine that you can hardly feel them. I agree that if you want to try this, you should talk to a few acupunturists and discuss how you feel. Find someone who seems to understands your concerns.

On the other hand, if you feel really anxious about this, maybe it isn't for you. There are other alternative therapies that can ve very helpful.

Kathy.
  4. jane32

jane32 New Member

Well I am trying 12 sessions this summer to see if it works. so far nothing but it did help my menstural cycle. I intereviewed tons and felt very comfortable with the woman I picked. If something bothers me she takes it out right away. I feel everything so for me it feels like a slight sting then it goes away. She mainpultaes them and then it aches but you only lie there for 15 mins. Like me I am sure youa re desperate so will try anything. I am hopeful. she put me on chinese herbs as well. I don't feel any pain after they are out so you will be fine there. She says some people feel nothing. I was really scared too so make sure you consult with a lot before you go. The pain is not like when you get bloodwork down though it is very slight and quick.
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

If you are afraid of needles, then accupressure is similar, w/out the needles.

I had a bad experience w/ it myself. And I'm not afraid of needled, at all at all. I give my own allergy injections. But the accupuncturist I tried put half the needles in my FM tender points and the it was agony. I tried to tell her, but she wouldn't listen and did it anyway and then left me for what was supposed to be 15 mins or so. she tried to tell me it was better to stick it out. I didn't last 5, the pain kept mounting and I could barely breathe because several were in my back and breathing moved them. it put me in a terrible flare. I never went back.

The key, is to have one that will listen to you, and actually understands FM and where your worst trigger points were. I know many who benefit, but they say there is good and bad ones. She supposedly did others w/ FM and claimed to know about it, but it seemed obvious she didn't get it at all. So if you want to interview people, make darn sure they will stop if they do anything that hurts, because when it goes wrong, it can hurt like an ***.

Jeanne
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Weigh your desire to go knowing the possible help you might receive against your fear, then decide.

I say nothing ventured, nothing gained but then I haven't been to an acupuncturist. I plan to go, though.

Marta
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I, too, had heard that acupuncture helps with FMS pain. So, I tried it. Not once, but twice, with different Acupuncturists. This was my experience - both times.

Mind you, I am not needle phobic, nor did I go into it with any fear or trepidation.

I was in a lot of pain from FMS and I laid down on the cot. I felt a tiny pin prick when the needles were inserted - that wasn't too bad. Once the needles (lots of them) were in place I was left alone with a timer set. The cot was really firm and the hard surface increased my pain. Every time I would shift a little in an attempt to find a comfortable position, the needles would jab me. That hurt, a lot!

I was left alone for what seemed like a very long time and I was terribly uncomfortable and the pain kept getting worse (both from the firm cot and the needles jabbing me). I ended up calling out for someone to come to my aid.

I probably sound like a big baby to someone who has had this procedure successfully. But, like I said, I tried it on two separate occasions at different places. Both times I ended up in tears.

Acupuncture is something I definitely would not try again - EVER!!

If you are already aprehensive about Acupuncture, I would suggest finding a very reputable, person familiar with FMS pain and talk to them about your concerns. Also, make sure they check on you often. Although, in my second session I did tell them about my first experience and they promised to check on me. She got busy with another client and forgot about me.....until she heard my screams. LOL

Sorry, Mrsjethro, this is probably more information than you wanted to hear. Good luck.

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2006]
  8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I had to comment on this as I am such an advocate of acupuncture. It has been one of the things that has made a huge difference to me as I try to recover.That kind of treatment is unconscionable! There are some clinics that practise a sort of assembly line acupunture. They try to get as many people through as possible and they seem to care little about the client and their concerns.

I have had 2 acupuncturists who have stayed in the room with me during the whole treatment. They were both very compassionate and very willing to make adjustments during the treament if necessary. This is what you want to look for when you choose a practitioner.

There are really good ones out there and I think it helps a bit to know what to look for.

Kathy.
  9. painache

painache New Member

I had acupuncture for my neck and shoulder pain and I do not think I would do it again. I agree it is absolutely necessary to find a skilled person in acupuncture. When the needles were put into my muscles they tightened even more. It felt like a bad muscle cramp. Definitely not painless.When the needle was going in the pain wasn't bad at all but the longer they stayed in the pain worsened.The pain increased after the needles were removed and I could not sleep much that night. I also experienced nausea which increased each time I had a treatment. I came very close to vomiting the last time and the treatment made me feel weak. They discontinued the treatments and told me that I could still try acupuncture again and it may not cause the same reaction. I am not sure I believe them.They put a needle right between my eyes and wanted to put another in my wrist. They told me this would help with the nausea. I allowed them to put the needle between the eyes but drew the line at the one in my wrist. I went along with everything they wanted to do with no positive results.I went for as many session as I was told would be needed in order to see results. My body seemed to rebel against this treatment. It only made me worse. Make sure you are in control and you have a therapist who listens to you. Take Care Pain
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I know that acupuncture helps a lot of people. That is why I tried it a second time. That time it was with a highly recommended Acupuncturist. I'm sure everything you say is correct. But, after my experience, I won't be trying it again.

I had forgotten about the awful nausea until I read "Painache's" post.

I'm really glad it helps you.

Lolalee
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

msjethro:

I had acupunt. years ago for my back. After also trying a chiro, I found that my neurologist group and do a similar procedure once a month (insurance will only cover that much).

No, it does not hurt. If they hook you up to electrodes
    and they pulsate in: the more the better.

I have always felt good when I had this done.

No pain, just enjoying the time knowing you will temporarily getting relief.

nyrofan
  12. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I am a tremendous advocate of acupuncture, especially since I'm so sensitive to medication. It really helps. It can take time before you feel results but it helps with so many ailments and your overall energy (chi).

As far as pain from the needle, I don't feel any. The needles are compared to the thickness of a hair off your head. Very very fine. A skilled acupuncturist can do this without any pain without a problem.

If you feel any discomfort, they can remove the needle.

I've had 4 different acupuncturists over the course of many years and only one that caused a pinching type sensation. I never went back to him.

There are really great practitioners out there.

Good luck with this.

scapper
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I would agree that it would be wise to talk with your
    DOM (hopefully a very professional one) about your concerns first, and then maybe have them do just a few areas with accupressure of with needles, if you're willing to try that.

I'm currently getting acupuncture, but I don't think it's doing much for my CFS. I'm going to keep it up for a while, to see if things change.

But the Mayo Clinic did a study recently, which showed that it may improve fibromyalgia symptoms, especially fatigue and anxiety. Here's the article:

SearchAlternative Medicine

From Cathy Wong, N.D.,
    Your Guide to Alternative Medicine.

Mayo Clinic Study: Acupuncture May Improve Fibromyalgia Symptoms

The results of a small randomized, controlled clinical trial suggest that acupuncture may be an effective therapy for people with fibromyalgia.

In the study, which was published in the June issue of the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 50 people who met the American College of Rheumatology criteria for fibromyalgia and had tried standard treatments were randomized to receive acupuncture or a control (simulated acupuncture).

Fibromylagia symptoms significantly improved in the acupuncture group compared with the control group. The greatest improvement was seen after one month. Symptoms that improved the most were fatigue and anxiety. Activity level and level of physical functioning did not change however. People who had acupuncture reported minimal adverse effects from the acupuncture.

Related Articles
    Acupuncture Fact Sheet

Acupuncture and Fibromyalgia Study [About.com Back and Neck Injury/Chronic Pain]

Does Acupuncture Help Fibromyalgia? [About.com Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome]
    Source: Martin David P. et al. "Improvement in fibromyalgia symptoms with acupuncture: results of a randomized controlled trial." Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 81.6 (2006):749-57.

[This Message was Edited on 07/08/2006]
  14. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I have acupuncture every two weeks - if I could afford it I would have it more often. I love it. (I mentioned to the acupucturis,t who I know well, that it is better than sex - as far as I remember.)

The trick is to find a good acupuncturist because it can hurt - as I know from experience with an earlier acupuncturist.

The one I go to now is great. She is very gentle and uses Korean needles rather than Chinese because they are finer. She also uses moxibustion on the needles and I just melt!!!!!!!!!!! It feels so good.

You really need to have an acupuncturist who is experienced with cfs patients. Shop around a lot - if/when you find a good one it is really worth it.
  15. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Mrs. J,
    I don't think you are a "Big Chicken" at all! I had your fears before my first session last fall. Since then, I've had over 25 sessions to help relieve the pain in my lower back. And, these sessions have also helped relieve the fibromyalgia pain--I don't know how, but they've helped. The needles are so fine--less than the diameter of a hair that all I feel is the light tap of the finger inserting them. No pain at all. Electrical stimulation is added and this helps bring greatly improved blood circulation to the areas being treated. Along with many years of training in traditional Chinese Medicine, my acupuncturist also has a doctorate in Western rehabilitation counseling. He was a major founder of the pain management clinic of the university medical center I attend for other treatment and care.
    Since not all acupuncturists have extensive training I believe it is wise to contact several acupuncturists and learn about their backgrounds before trying them. This is the way you will find the one with whom you have the best rapport as well as feel comfortable about their education, training and experience.
    My experience with this acupuncturist has been excellent, partly because I already knew of his background because he came highly rcommended by my primary care physician.
    I hope you find an acupuncturist with whom you gain relief and help! Best of luck to you!
    With love, Dorothy
  16. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

I didn't feel them. Sad to say the treatment did not help my CFS.
  17. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I'm sure you will find this hard to believe now, but I hope that you will find a proper Accupuncturist. And, after your first treatment you will wonder why you were so anxious about these treatments.

I too, was very nervous, but after speaking to Justin he assured me that he would not leave my side and that I would feel very little pain. I felt none. I am still enjoying the great benefits of these wonderful sessions. I hope you will give them a chance. I was very afraid of needles too.

Good luck and I hope you will let us know what you decide.
    More important, we'd love to know if you were helped.

Arlene
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2006]
  18. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

There is only 1 in the town where I live that I know of that practices out of her home. I don't know her, and have never met her. Everyone just keeps suggesting that I do this.

I don't know if there are others in the area, but anywhere close would be at least an hours drive each way. If I do hurt afterward, I'm afraid that I won't be able to sit and drive for an hour after the treatment.

Have you traveled several miles to your appointments? Does that make any difference?

Thank you all. I love having the ability of geting an objective opinion on all sides of an issue like this, especially when it is a fear that I'm facing. I appreciate you all so much!!!
  19. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Old Post, but pro and con comments from Old Members here. except Rock.

I never had a fear of acupuncture and tried it years ago and again in the last couple yrs for the mess hip replacement and more pain in knee and foot and ankles from body being off alignment.... The rheumy I've been seeing the last 2+ yrs does acupuncture....

But now I'm going to a small clinic that charges less as they can work with 4 patients at a time....the electro stim does facilitate the healing process, and I get that for $10 more...but get a "light" stim but I can feel it stimulate my body.....gets blood flowing and opens qi.

Yesterday, the acupuncturist put me onto the Moxa Sticks (Moxibustion) which I've used now twice at home...and these help to reduce pain points by getting blood flowing in stagnent areas.....I'm planning to continue with my knee, etc...

Of course, I'd like it on all my body pain points, BUT can only work on a couple areas at a time..... jam
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  20. kbak

kbak Member

IT REALLY DOESN'T HURT. JUST GIVE IT A TRY AND YOU'LL BE A BELIEVER. I WAS HESITANT AT FIRST TOO, BUT IT'S NO BIG DEAL. YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID. KBAK