Scared to death

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Imnoangle, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Imnoangle

Imnoangle New Member

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Dec.17th. I don't want to go, but I know it's because I'm scared to death. My other half will be at the hospital with me, and he says not to worry. But I can't help it. I guess you can say I have a problem with things being inserted where things don't belong. If anyone has a little bit of confidence and courage to share with me I can really use it. Thank you all for being here for me. I hope this finds everyone well.
    Thanks
    Dawn
  2. Imnoangle

Imnoangle New Member

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Dec.17th. I don't want to go, but I know it's because I'm scared to death. My other half will be at the hospital with me, and he says not to worry. But I can't help it. I guess you can say I have a problem with things being inserted where things don't belong. If anyone has a little bit of confidence and courage to share with me I can really use it. Thank you all for being here for me. I hope this finds everyone well.
    Thanks
    Dawn
  3. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

HI I am not going to lie to you in any way shape or form. If you are put to sleep then I hear it is not bad at all because you are unaware of what they are doing. If you are awake however it is awfull. I had one two years ago and I will never have one again. I lived threw it but it is the most uncomfortabe thing I have ever experianced. Also what ever you do don't look at the size of that thing they shove up their. I think if I would have kept my eye's shut it would not have been so bad. well yes it would have. I understand it has to be done to get a good look and now that they got their good look they will never do that to me again when I am awake. who know's maybe it will not be so bad for you. It all depends on the tech. doing it. I also believe that it is an exit only type hole. pardon my pun but that is really the only way to say it
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2002]
  4. phenom

phenom New Member

my whole family has had this done and they all thought it was ok - not pleasant by any means - but ok. i know a few other people from my old work who have had it done too and they were fine - one of them was drugged up heavily and apparently professing her undying love to the technician guy on the way out of the procedure - so it can't have been that bad if she loved him! :) Good luck - you'll be fine.

phenom
  5. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

If you have no problems with them. Just something to relax you. Its a quick test.

Afterwards, you're going to want some time to yourself theres going to be trapped air...kind of embarassing. Spend some time in the bathroom. Don't plan lunch at a restaurant for afterwards.

Mslo
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

I was scheduled but cancelled, (chicken). But, my daughter works for a gastreologist and she said as long as they give you the IV valium or whatever it is they use that there's nothing to it, not like it use to be. I have had a flex a something they do in the doctor's office and that is suppose to be worse because they don't put you out for that one. Probably the worse part is the preparation for the procedure. Good luck, let me know how it went, OK??

Dara
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I had the colonoscopy done a few months ago.Don't fret~I had the IV drip of valium(i think thats what it was??whatever it was I'd love to have some of that stuff on hand!!LOL)I was sooooo scared prior to falling asleep!! I felt nothing!!I mean nothing!! I woke up maybe a half hr later and was shocked to hear that I was all done!!Like someone else said,the prep to clean out your bowels is the worse part.It tastes yukky and within an hr of starting the drink-you'll be heading to the bathroom!!It felt like I was in the bathroom going every 10 minutes!!You need to drink the stuff and move your bowels until your passing a clear liquid~ You'll be fine. Just stay home!!I had to run my son to school in the early morning and almost crapped my pants!!LOL not kidding!
    Good luck and let us know how it went~
    Best,
    Tracey
  8. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

i just had it last month. The worst thing is the prep of it as everyone said. I did not even know it was done and like they said the IV they use you feel pain free...
    Good luck and don't fret it. Drinnk apple juices as soon as you dring the laxative it helps alot..
    Good luck,
    Joannie
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Like the other people have said, the prep is worse than the exam. I also had an IV drip. Originally my Family Practice doc said he wanted to do a flexible sigmoid in his office. I said "no way". I told him I wanted to be put to sleep and I'd have the gastro doctor do it. The prep stuff was horrible, but once I got into the dr's office they put the IV in, I was knocked out and don't remember anything. I do vaguely recall waking up in the middle for a few seconds, sort of feeling the doctor's hand there, and then I went back to la-la-land. You must insist on being put to sleep! Also, I read on some of these posts that some people had technicians doing this procedure. A physician should do this - not a tech! Good luck!!!!

Annette2
  10. karen55

karen55 New Member

I had one a few years ago, and the prep was the worst part; drinking 4 liters of that stuff which tasted like rusty salt water to me. Mine was done as out patient in the hospital and I had an IV and was given demerol and versad, didn't feel anything and don't remember anything, which is fine by me.
  11. Mariah

Mariah New Member

I had a colonoscopy done back in about 1995-ish in the dr's office in a special room where they do that procedure. I was put to sleep and I woke up at some point during the ordeal (kinda like in a dream state) and looked around and saw the dr and nurse and then I went back to sleep. When I woke up I was really groggy but I wasn't sore at all whatsoever and had no memories of it except for the brief waking up part. I was supposed to have a colonoscopy again a year ago and I cancelled the app't. Not because of that test but because the gastroenterologist was also going to do an endoscopy. Now THAT freaks me out. That is where they put a tube with a camera on it down your throat and look into your stomach and duodenal. My mouth and throat is always so dry and I have this irrational fear that my throat will rip or something LOL I also worry that I'll choke too hard during the test and I'll have a major sore throat afterwards. I saw my ex husband and present husband both have an endoscopy and they gagged and choked during it even though they were given that twilight drug (I think it was sodium penathol).
    I am still having a lot of problems and I know that I shouldn't put this off any longer and that I need to be brave, so I am going to reschedule the tests and get it over with. Sigh.
    Anyhoo, hang in there kiddo. The colonoscopy is fine, it's drinking mega amounts of crappy tasting stuff that you won't like. But like me, if your dr thinks you need this test then you just need to do it and get it over with. In just a few days, this test will be behind you (no pun intended! LOL) and you'll be glad that you got it over with. Let us know how it went after you have it done, okay?
    Love
    "Mariah"
  12. JP

JP New Member

I sat with a friend and held her hand through the entire process. She was very very frightened prior to the test. She held up pretty well and the doctor was great. I have not read the other posts so I am sure to be duplicating others...if you are able, they can offer you medication that will greatly reduce your anxiety and fear. It REALLY helped my friend and she didn't even break my hand during the test. I just sat there and quietly talked her through the process.

Breathing and being as calm as possilbe is very helpful.

My best to you...Jan
  13. rbtheidmanhabs

rbtheidmanhabs New Member

Hi!
    I had a colonascopy about 8 years ago now.They were checking me for different things.The actually test you are not usually with it.They kind make you sleepy.It's the preparation the day before you have to drink this god awful stuff that makes you run every few minutes.You have to drink a whole gallon of it.But keep drinking lots of water afterwards .It keeps you hydrated.The doctor usually tells you the results of the exam when you come out of it.Then they let you go home not long after but you cannot drive.So take someone with you that can help you out.
    Bob
  14. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi! Please don't be afraid. The day before bowel prep stuff is far & away the worst part, only because you are a prisoner of your bathroom!! Have lots of good books & magazines.

You will be amazed at the procedure itself--because you are semi-sedated, you shouldn't be very uncomfortable at all, AND it hardly takes any time at all. Mine took about 15 minutes, but I swear it only seemed like about 5 minutes, because the sedation makes you unaware of time. You'll probably have a demerol/valium combo (or some combination like that)---I had to do mine with just demerol, because I have a paradoxical reaction to valium, and it still was OK. The best part? No waiting for results, you find out right away.

I will be thinking good thoughts for you on the 17th, but I'm sure it will go fine. I remember thinking afterwards, "And I thought this was such a big deal!"....you'll be fine, let us know how it goes!

Take care,
    Pam