Scary fog story

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kim840, Oct 2, 2005.

1. kim840

kim840 New Member

This happened yesterday, TO ME, and I had to share it with you. I was having a really bad FMS day and.......

I was driving up to the house, had pushed the garage door opener and the door was opening. I was just going to run in to fetch something and leave again. I drove up close to the door and got out of the car while it was still in drive and moving! It was quickly proceeding into the garage without me! Thank goodness I was able to catch up and jump back in and hit the brakes. I did some twisting in the process and of course felt it later.

Can you believe it? I can't even laugh about this one. It's too scary!

Always Hopeful,
    Marcia
  2. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

I'm so glad it didn't do damage. It is amazing how these things happen. It's a mirale we can find our way around our houses some days. LOL.

Heart hugs,
    Maree
  3. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i don;t have a garage, but gave up driving when i came close to hitting a kid, backing out of my drive way. and hit the fence on serval occasions. so i drive very very seldom. usually leave the driving to other family memebers
  4. lilbird

lilbird New Member

That must have been very scary for you. A few weeks ago I backed into a brick wall and then a few days later into a car. Then a week or so later I almost ran over a person in a cross walk. I am not driving much these days. Only when I have to. And only when my fog isn't to bad.

Be careful

Cathy
  5. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Hope you don't have this problem again! I really don't have major problem wtih fibro fog yet. Even though I accidently left the key on in car while shopping in the mall.. The worst part was that... The car was running on for the whole two hours... And the doors aren't lock. I am thankfulthat no one has steal the car! That is something I could not believe I did that. I am sure that is very common in fm? anyone?
  6. kim840

kim840 New Member

I'm so glad I didn't happen to stumble or something and end up under the car. Thank you Lord.

I too have backed into the garage door a couple of times. Not enough to do any damage but enough to really upset me.

I can really identify with backing out of the garage and hitting a car sitting in the drive. My DH actually did that one time to my friend's car.

Leaving the car on with the keys in it at the mall for 2 hours is very sad. Anything is possible.

I'm in such a tailspin right now with this DD. I'm always amazed at how when the pain and fatigue are bad my mind just goes. Wow, it is really, really scary.

Thanks for all the responses, we sure have some amazing stories don't we.

I'm not giving up driving just yet. Most of the time I do pretty good. However, I am really watching myself now.

Gentle Hugs

Always Hopeful,
    Marcia

7. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

What a fright! I have minimized my driving as much as possible. That's part of the reason I think I won't be able to return to work.

I work 11 miles from my house. In rural WI, that is the distance between the two larger towns in the area- which are merely deposits of 2-3,000 people set in the middle of open fields, hills and farms.

I've always had trouble with directions and getting my bearings, but with no real reference points, I had serious issues. It started to come to my DH's attention when he'd call on the cell phone to ask where I was. I'd say, "On the road... there's cows on the left and a brown house with a flag on the right. I see a white barn on the right coming up... wait- there's a road... okay- I'm at County road H (or whatever)."

"What road are you driving on?" he'd ask, confused.

"I don't know-" I'd say and be a little concerned myself as I tried to remember where I was headed in the first place! I can really identify with those who have questioned an Alzheimer's connection.

Anyway, it got worse... it is a straight shot between the two towns- one road. Ten miles of rural highway driving there and back four days a week. It should have become very familiar to me after, well- after a week; but certainly after six months!

Driving home, more than once, I called my husband frantic and desperate, "I don't know where I am!" I was seriously terrified. I knew it was a straight shot, but I couldn't remember if I'd turned off or what, but NOTHING looked familiar to me.

"Settle down," my wonder-husband would say. "What do you see?"

I'd start describing the landscape, farms and houses until he'd say, "Okay, are you coming up on a bridge?" And from there he'd reassure me that I was in fact headed home and would be there in a matter of minutes.

It sounds silly and ridiculous, but I was so seriously confused and terrified each time- and ashamed- I'm NOT a flake!

I don't drive if I can arrange for someone else to. There are days that if I can't find someone else to drive, I will sooner cancel my plans than get behind the wheel.

I do hope that gets better... for all of us.

I'm so sorry you had that trauma, Marcia... I can identify. Thanks for sharing so that I and others don't feel like it's just us!

Take care-
    -L
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... wow ... I consider myself lucky compared to these stories .. my problem is actually finding my car after I come out of the store or what have you .. as hard as I try to remember where I parked .. I draw a blank .. and look it as well .. people have asked me if i lost something ... yes ... mostly my MIND !! haha
    Fudge : )
  9. kalaya

kalaya New Member

Ya when the neurological brain haze takes hold we can do things that make us appear to be retarded.Not really funny but after years of it you either laugh or cry[probably a bit of both].I have been in parallel situations,not so much with diving out of moving cars but with being mentaly blank in social and public situations when you have to poker face it as best you can.Not fun,and honestly very disturbing at times.I wish you perky brain cells and no more near vehicular misses.God bless.
  10. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Glad you are okay!
  11. sheried

sheried New Member

I did the same thing. My Blazer hit the wall and caused a little damage Just as I got in and hit the brake.

I was so embarrassed when I called my insurance agent.

I can laugh now but, dang, that was scary.

Glad you caught it in time and weren't hurt really bad.

Hugs,
    Sherie