scary new symptoms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Oct 7, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Last night I kept waking up feeling like I needed to gasp for a deep breath. This never happened before. I also awoke several times becarse I was making this wierd snorting noise. Sound Familiar?
    Appt today with rheumy was useless except now I know he's an idoit. I spent an hour typing up a list of all my symptoms. I took a lot of time and was really through and he would not even look at it.
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Last night I kept waking up feeling like I needed to gasp for a deep breath. This never happened before. I also awoke several times becarse I was making this wierd snorting noise. Sound Familiar?
    Appt today with rheumy was useless except now I know he's an idoit. I spent an hour typing up a list of all my symptoms. I took a lot of time and was really through and he would not even look at it.
  3. Billie

Billie New Member

Sleep apnea, or another related sleep disorder. I have been diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. That is where you stop breathing in your sleep several times a night. It is very common in those of us with Fibro/CFIDS. I was tested and didn't even realize I had it. I also noticed myself waking up and gasping for air and snorting. I also snore. If that is what you have they do have what is called a CPAP machine you can try, you wear it like a mask and it circulates a constant airflow. I tried it, but because my case was mild, I think that's why I didn't notice a difference while using it. There is also a surgery they can do to take some of the tissue out of your throat area, to promote better breathing, but the success rate isn't that great with those surgies, and they are really painful I have heard. This is just an idea. I would ask your doctor if you could get a sleep study done, that is the only way to diagnose sleep apnea. Good luck to you in your search......Billie
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

what I have noticed is that I tend to start to panic over it & that makes it worse. What I do is I have to remind myself to open my mouth. I used to always sleep with my mouth closed, now I make sure I open it & then I can go to sleep, I do sometimes wake up with it but I just go right to sleep again, thankfully. Thank God & Ambien.

Jaci
  5. G

G New Member

But not as bad as before when I throat would close up on me for an few seconds. I don't panic and take an drink of water when I am able to do so, it helps the coughing that I had afterwards. Sometimes even my food gets stuck in my throat and it won't go down without drinking water. So I always have water next to me.

I think it comes with FMS.

G

6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Mariac....I have severe sleep apnea....and the snorting, and gasping are all part of this. Not only does this interupt sleep which is detrimental, it can be downright dangerous as well. Another post mentioned surgical, and a nonsurgical device to remedy the problem. Also losing weight (over weight persons are prone to this), and it is also said that elevating the head of your bed may be of some help. Another post mentioned sleeping with your mouth open. This is actually one of the causitive factors, in my understanding. Sleeping with mouth open allows a relaxing of the throat-which in turn promotes the apnea. There are many good websites on sleep apnea.
    Karen
  7. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Thank you to all and I will look up sleep apnea. It is scary but I try not to freak, not always easy. I just seem to be getting more and more symptoms of FM, just wish I could get an official diagnosis.

Maria