Scary new thing -- swollen feet & calfs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsBella, Aug 24, 2003.

1. MsBella

MsBella New Member

I just thought my hubby was teasing me today that my calves are bigger than his. Then I took my socks off, and to my shock my feet were all puffy! My calves are too, and I just assumed my achiness down there was part of throwing my back out last week. I haven't been able to take it as easy as I should, but I've mostly been sitting on my butt filling out the damned SS Disability application. I slaved over it all weekend, and had finally gotten it finished and put into the return evelope, and I went to sit down with the hubby on the couch to relax a bit, when . . . whoa!!! I'm totally freaked out. The hubby thinks it's just because filling out the app was emotionally hard, having to think about and express problems and pains from years ago. But psychosomatic feet swelling? I don't think so!

My doctor has asked me to cut back on the water I drink, and I've tried to add Gatorade Propel to my drinking regiment in the past few weeks, but other than that, I haven't cut back my water that much. I have never before retained water! I'm just wondering if this swelling is something else, some new symptom? Anybody else ever had this happen to them? Any input would be appreciated, cause I'm freaking out looking at my feet!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have FM, and I did have a problem with swollen feet, but not my ankles.

I would check this out with the doctor. It could be nothing, but then again it might be some other problem altogether.

Try to stay off your feet till you can get to the doctor.

Take care.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

before, usually from the heat or if I'm standing too long. Also I do retain fluids so I now take a duretic for it. I do agree that you need to see your doctor about it though, just to be sure it's nothing serious. I was wondering, why did your doctor want you to cut back on your water intake? Usually everyone ones saying drink more!! Sitting with your feet propped up should also help. I hope you will see or call your doctor soon.

Dara
  4. MsBella

MsBella New Member

I appreciate your replies. I've been up most of the night, worrying about this. It was impossible to keep my feet elevated in bed because my back is so spasmed out. I was hoping that just being horizontal would make a difference by this morning, but my feet, ankles and legs are still swollen, and now I've noticed that my wedding ring is a bit tight. I guess it's another day at the doctor's office for me. It seems I've seen her once a week this past month.

Oh, and the reason that they want me to cut back on water intake is because they're concerned that I'm "drowning" my kidneys. I drink between 2 and 3 gallons of water a day, because I'm always thirsty. Pretty sure it's my meds causing my thirst, but no doctor has ever been concerned about me drinking too much water before! And asking me to cut back on my water couldn't come at a worse time. I'm in the most prolonged flare in my fibro history, highly stressed out, the hubby is pressuring me to go on Atkins with him, and I just don't think I can cope right now without my "comfort foods" of chocolate, bread, and fruit, and now my Dr. wants me to decrease my water intake to 3 liters! Give a girl a break! All they're making me want to do is eat more comfort foods and drink more water, LOL!
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I, too, have had problems with foot swelling, especially my left foot for years. I had it checked out, but the doctor couldn't find any reason for it. Have to assume it's from the FM. It gets worse when I've been on my feet a lot.

You do drink a lot of water per day. When you said you were always thirsty, that sent up a red flag. I don't want to scare you, but being constantly thirsty is one of the symptoms of diabetes. My mother was diabetic and was always drinking. You might have your blood sugar checked out. Also, if you have a family member (especially a close relative) with diabetes that definitely increases your chances of gettint it. Diabetes also affects your circulation.

Ellen Comstock
  6. KayL

KayL New Member

I have always had the tendancy to retain fluids depending on how much salt/sodium I ingest. In particular, I avoid things like olives and celery and soy sauce. Gatorade and 10K are usually pretty high in sodium to replace what you sweat out.

When I have swelling due to this my feet, ankles and calves swell, as well as my fingers. When it's really bad, my calves hurt to walk or stand, from the swelling. Lemon in your water will help you get rid of the fluid.

Karen
  7. MsBella

MsBella New Member

I saw my doctor yesterday, and we did blood samples and x-rays to see if there's a cause for this. They'd just weighed me on my 2nd-to-last visit, and in 20 days I put on 18 lbs! I definately haven't been eating enough to put on that kind of weight, so am taking diuretics and potassium. I've already lost 7 lbs of it, thank goodness, but the feet and legs are still swollen, so I guess I have a few more days to go.

I've never had this as a fibro symptom before, but since the whole CFS diagnosis is new, I haven't really researched it too much, because I wanted to just pretend it was fibro fatigue, and not another label. Denial, oh my friend denial! For the life of me, I can't think of anything that has changed in the past couple of weeks. Tomorrow I get my blood results, so we'll see if that pinpoints anything, but I doubt that it will. My blood works always comes back perfectly healthy. And re: the diabetic concerns, I have no family history of it and my blood sugar is always rock-steady. I've been drinking 2 gallons of water a day for several years now. It was a habit long before the fibro.

Anyway, the hubby stayed home with me yesterday and today out of concern for me (although it's looking like more of a desire for nappies, LOL!) so I must get off here and try to make an effort at keeping my feet elevated. Will keep you posted on the blood test results . . . thanks again for all the helpful and concerned replies!

~Bella