Scary Symptom?/Side Effect?, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Sep 1, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

the last 3 days or so, i've noticed a full feeling in my chest and been a little short of breath. i've heard this mentioned before as a symptom that some of us suffer from, but it's usually transitory, isn't it? something like this probably wouldn't concern if i wasn't into my third day now. also, i have sore spots on the sides of my rib cage and i've noticed that the muscles on my chest are sore to the touch if i pinch them with my hand. does this sound familiar to anyone? my first thought was that this was a side effect of the compounded thyroid med i'm taking. i've been up to 50 mcg for a month now and this is the first time i've noticed anything like this, but it could be a factor, yes?

ok, quick follow-up here: i just got done looking up
    costrochondritis (sp?) and my symptoms seem to match, especially the rib tenderness. i took an advil to see if that helps reduce any inflammation. any other advice would be appreciated?

eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2005]
  2. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Right now and I have rib pain,chest pain(along sternum)and pain in my back around shouldber blades.Very bad pain.I had short of breath but it was because I was panicing due to the pain.I take klonopin to calm me down.I hope you get help soon.Heating pad and icy hot helped me.
    Sheila
  3. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

Over time, I've had costochondritis more than once... and what you're describing, sounds like what I had.

My chiropractor at one time prescribed heat and analgesics - also suggested additional magnesium, which also seemed to help.

I never really knew what would happen to bring it on, and never really knew what made it go away, but it would last a week to 10 days usually, and then get better.

Guess I'm not a lot of help :), just wanted to let you know I recognize what you're talking aobut.
  4. pinkstar

pinkstar New Member

oooh yea.. sounds like costochondritis.. just a few weeks ago i had my first bout with it.. a 4:30am trip to the ER.. they gave me a shot of addavan, an anti-inflammatory med i cant think of the name now, and a pain killer.. it felt like someone was kicking me in the chest with a steel toed boot and a midget was sitting on my chest.. it hurts like crazy just touching the area.. try your doctor.. get a urinalysis because it can be caused by an infection.. the shots fromt he ER helped tons and with the antibiotics it has calmed down significantly and went back to the generalized less specific pain of always... GOOD LUCK! let me know how it turns out..

-Lauryn
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Dear eddie,
    Right now I am experiencing the same symtoms as you EXCEPT being short of breath.

If it was me I would be on my to the dr. or emerg.

Take good care!! from Denamay
  6. NevadaRN

NevadaRN New Member

If you have just upped your thyroid it can take several weeks for the blood level to rise and you to feel the effects. May be time to have you DOC check your TSH level.
    Hope you feel better soon.
  7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

seems to have mostly subsided. verryyyy strange. this illness sure has an endless supply of curve balls at its disposal.

e.
  8. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

YEAP!

I have the same thing- the Dr was checking it out a few weeks ago-he didnt have to do much but gently push on my chest...OUCH! my chest is very tender and the breathen thing is anixety in my case....jgavi