Scheduled Tilt Table Test. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teach6, Dec 30, 2002.

1. teach6

teach6 New Member

Today I scheduled a tilt table test for next Monday morning at what seems like the crack of dawn to me! I am not looking forwared to this, but am doing it for more evidence for both my disability retirement and SSDI which were both denied this month.

I would appreciate any input from others who have had this done. It will be done at a major hospital in our area and I am planning to find someone to drive me there and bring me home. Since my NMH is pretty bad I am not looking forward to this at all, but I know it will give them indisuputable evidence that I am not making this up.

Thanks,
    Barbara
  2. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I've never heard of this. What is it for and what do they do? I'm curious...

Lisa
  3. toots2

toots2 New Member

I have never heard of a tilt table test but did have a myelogram on a tilt table to check for problems relating to the back problems I was having. Turned our negative. It was the fibromyalgia causing my back pain. toots
  4. lea

lea Member

It is highly important that they follow the John Hopkins protocol.
    You can do a google search by typing. Hopkins nmh (or neurally mediated hypotension).
    best,
    lea
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

The hospital I am going to is top notch. My doc actually mentioned having it done at Hopkins, but we decided the drive was a bit long for it to be done there, especially when they want to do it first thing in the morning.

I know I will be in good hands. It is being done by a doctor in a large cardiology practice. He specializes in special types of testing like this. The scheduler told me what his specialty is, but I can't remember it.

My concerns are in how I will react to this since I am on several meds for Neurally Mediated Hypotension. My doc began treating me for it the first time I saw him. He didn't need any testing to tell him what was going on with me. They asked me about the symptoms I have had and will watch for them in addition to monitoring my BP and heart rate during the test.

I just know how bad I was before being treated and in part I am better now because I don't allow myself to stand long enough for it to get too bad.

Barbara
  6. beh43

beh43 New Member

Hi Teach 6,

It sounds like you have things under control. If you get positive results go to an autonomic dysfunction center. I went to Vanderbilt in Nashville TN. After that my SSDI went right through. Some people get negative results with the tilt test even though they do indeed have problems. If that happens the center will still pick it up in their testing. Thrilled to hear you learned to sit in order to stop the horrid symptoms. Plan to be a little sick after the test. Having someone drive is a very good idea.

Good Luck,
    beh
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

Thanks for your info. I'll look into it if I feel it's necessary for my retirement OR SSDI.

Barbara
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

Looking for more input, if anyone else has had this done.

Thanks,
    Barbara
  9. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

thats how they found out I had POTS also. Just be sure and tell them any strange sensations, pain or anything that is happening to you during the test. Be sure to tell them right away when it happens so they can note it. It wasnt too bad, all they do is hook ya up to a heart monitor and they also put an IV in my arm. Strap ya to a table and put ya at different angles. It is time consuming, and once they had me straight up it was very uncomfortable and I was in alot of pain in my back and legs and I got that stocking feeling and felt like I was numb. They are trained good at it thou so you'll be okay. Hope this helps alittle.
  10. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

hi there....where are you at...and what is your diagnosis that your doc is sending you for that test???
    I'm in a town where no docs seem to know anything, "real" about fibro...or myofascial pain syndrome....let alone a "tilt" table!
    I've heard of the test, and as far as I've read it's just like what it sounds like....and is not a real big deal...pain wise or anything....though I may be mistaken? I believe they check your blood presure....
    Good luck...and hope it provides some answers for you! sparrow
  11. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I was put on florinef but stopped because it didn't help. The test was kind of scary because they do make you feel horrible but I think any positive test you have will help prove your disibility. I felt ok after the med. they gave me wore off. Its really not so bad. Amy
  12. Billie

Billie New Member

I had one done about 2 years ago. I thought I was doing ok, for the first litte bit, then it hit me. The nausea, sweating, lightheadedness. It came back positive, but wasn't able to try the Florinef, because I also have high blood pressure. Anyway it wasn't too pleasant, but not a nightmare either. I think it did help me win my disability claim though. It is good you are having someone drive you. And try to plan on some down time afterward, you will probably need it. Good luck to you.......Billie

[ advertisement ]