Sciatic pain ??? Wow that hurts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jul 1, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi members/friends~

Dumb as I am,..I threw on a quick last minute garage sale yesterday.
    I'm in so much pain that I'm thinking I need a ER trip. But we all know how those are so I'm trying to hold out/Get by.
    My one sided back pain is very bad!!! into my hip and way down the side and backs of my one leg.
    at times its making that one foot prickle. like its sleeping! I find driving makes it worse,...and believe it or not, sitting is horrible!! its better if I stand.
    What would you do??
    I have nothing as far as pain meds that help.
    Thanks
    does anything releive this? like topical rubs?
    Tandy
    I'm taking 4 advil
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

that my calf (is that how ya say it??LOL) lower leg,..
    feels real tight and hard! at times almost like a charlie horse! a pulling pain in my hip area too.

all this for $160 bucks!
  3. keke466

keke466 New Member

Yes it hurts like you know what. I've had it for yrs and it can be unbearable. I can be ok and the next minute a pain hits and I've got shooting pains down the left side and can't hardly move. Had it long before I was dx with FM.

Take care Keke
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

Oh I feel for you. I had a garage sale a few weeks ago and caused a major flare. Hmmm. Let's see. As a massage therapist I have studied this area. There are 3 pressure points for sciatica pain.

One is right above the right butt cheek, one is to the outer edge of your right butt cheek and the other is where your right butt cheek ends and where your leg is connected. Gosh I hope this makes sense.

Anyway, if you can get someone to firmly push on these areas and hold pressure for about 10 sec. and let off it should relieve some of the pain. Sciatica is one of the most painful things to deal with when it acts up.

You might also try heat for a few min. then ice switching them out. A lot of times the contrast of both will relax muscles or spasms. Hope this is of some help for you.

Kriket
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Oh, Tandy, I feel for you, hon.

I have the same problem. My sciatic nerve is pinched in my back between L4-L5 and S-1 and the pain is so horrific sometimes that I can barely sand it.

Nothing helps it. Even strong pain pills.

I sit with a heating pad on it, but it doesn't do such help.

I've been to a chiropractor, but no luck there either.

It makes my hip sooooooo bad, and keeps my leg and foot numb and well as the first 2 toes on my foot numb.

At times, the pain will ease up some -- I don't know why -- then other times the pain is in full force -- like an open , live electric wire!!

If you ever find any way to lessen your pain, let me know, too!

Love,
    Janet
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

tandy .. yes .. I have had that .. I herniated the disc between L4 and L5 like Janet ..
    Was so scared about the surgery I waited a year before they could TALK?SCARE me into it .. they said I could loose the use of my left leg if the nerve was too damaged or severed ..

I had the surgery .. was laid up a while, even with getting up and really working hard to get motion and light exercise going .. this was back in '94 ...

I now have some permanent damage to the nerve .. just happened to see a neurologist lately ... but I look totally normal .. walk a little different when in pain of course.
    But the 4 screws and the bone graft have given me most of my mobility back abd I do yoga at night to keep as flexable as possible .. it WORKS !

I so KNOW your pain .. you may have to start thinking surgery to correct what has happened .. or you may be faced with a worse scenario .. if I had gone ahead when they wanted to do it .. I might not have this bit of damage to deal with !

Good Luck !
    Joy : )
  7. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I was thrown from a horse a few years ago, and hadn't had sciatica until then.

Now I get it regularily.

What helps me is that if I think I've injured myself, I'll go to a chiropractor to be adjusted (non-invasive).

Then, I use topical Arnical Gel (health food store), massage, and I have these little spot magnets that I put on whatever points are really sore.

Sometimes, when it first comes on, I'll do ice. If it continues I may try heat.

And no longer do I walk far & really careful getting in & out of a car, so not to twist which can also be a trigger.

Yep, just have to act like I'm 99 yrs old or it's pain galore!!

LIGHT*****************carole
  8. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I had one the end of april. After that I gave the rest of the stuff to the salvation army. End of story.
    All the extra pain I endured, lasted about 4 days or so. If you can just take it easy. Do some relaxation treatments. It sounds really weird, but talk to your pain. Mind over matter. I have actually been in so much pain at one time that I let myself just relax to the point of almost controlling the pain. As scary as that was, it got me through.
    All my pain from the garage sale, was only for $58.00. How is that for sad.
    God bless, Julie
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I can barely even sit for 2-3 minutes.
    sorry I can't respond much now.

I will.

Its horrible,..and not any better at all today.
    Ice seems to be best right now.
    sitting is the worse!! its makes my whole leg go crazy in pain like charlie horse!!
    my hip/butt is just as bad.

I'm tryin to take it reeeeeaaaaal easy today & tomorow.
    hugs
    Tandy
  10. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

They do help for a while. Nothing else that I have tried helped.
  11. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I had something like that only it was in my brusits muchle and they gave me a short of some sort of sterorid. It helped right away. When I got home my kids even mentioned that i was walking and not suffling. The only problem is that they said it should work a couple of months but i'm alread back to my darvocet 4 times a day. I'll talk to my doctor again next month when I go in for a normal check up....Good luck with this cause I was like in the nine pain scale. Talk to you doctor and see what they say. Once again good luck......Suef
  12. hanna4175

hanna4175 New Member

what you are talking about.. i have the same happen to me all the time.. especially if we are in the car to long..it starts a throbbin!! have to get out and stretch.. and sometimes that doesnt even work.. ive made so many trips to the er with this illness and everything that comes with it.. that im suprised they havent made me my own private room there yet.. they sometimes look at you like you have ten heads!! and then i feel like an idiot..you are not alone.. i go through this on a daily basis.. and as much as i try to get on with life.. it just gets in the way sometimes.. ever want to just scream?? i do!! nope.. you are certainly not alone my dear.. we can be in pain together.. what i would like to see happen though.. is the nurses and doctors at these hospitals actually look up "fybromyalgia" and actually try to understand what we go through.. you mention the word to them.. and they are like "what??....what is that again??" grrrr....thats when i really feel like i have IDIOT carved on me forehead.. geez.. some people..

i use ice gel when it gets to be too much..sometimes it works sometimes im screwed!!.. i take pain relievers.. tylenol 1.. my old doctor had me on oxycontin for three frickin years.. i went off of it 17 months ago.. so tylenol ones and amytriptyline is what i take.. also try a nice hot lavender bath..i buy the lavender bath oil.. it can be a little pricey but it really works,.. it will sooth all your aching muscles and calm you down..i put a bit fluffy pillow under my legs as well afterwards.. i hope some of this is helpful to you .. as i know what you suffer.. its not a nice thing to go through.. best of luck to you....let me know how it works for ya :eek:)

happy days to you
    hanna :eek:)
  13. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I've had this...and, yes, it reallllly hurts!!!

Here's what gives me relief and I hope it helps you:

Lay on the floor (carpeted is best) and scoot your behind as close to a chair or sofa as you can placing your legs on the chair/sofa. Be sure your behind is almost against the bottom of the chair/sofa. Lay there for 15 to 20 minutes at a time...and relax. I watch TV. Sure, the TV is sideways, but what the heck.

You could also just rest (and we can always use that). Do this about 3 times a day if you can.

I was told to do this by a physical therapist to help my sciatica....

14. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I have and still do struggle with this pain. Makes it so bad I can barely hobble around sometimes.

THe best thing you can do, if you have insurance, is to get referred to a physical therapist who can recommend stretches and exercises to strengthen the area. The therapist also knows stretches and releases to do on the area that will help the pain. This works even for those with a pinched nerve; probably even better than surgery. They will hurt at first, but if you can keep going with them, the pain will get better and even go away.

You have to keep doing the exercises regularly, though, or it will creep back; as I found out this week! I got lazy and quit doing them because I wasn't hurting and now am paying for it, but once I get going, it will improve.

If you don't have insurance, there are books that give muscle stretches and exercises for this condition that you can try. Most of them work on the lower back and/or legs.
    Good luck. It is rough stuff to have.

Deb
  15. lucky

lucky New Member

I know what you are talking about and went through months of not being able to move. I tried everything from laser treatment for the sciatica to acupuncture. Luckily the acupincture has been helping me a lot. My doctor mentioned that it is not only sciatic pain but also neuropathic pain which makes sense. Anyway, I mostly can move now and will have another session of acupuncture tomorrow. I did not have to go for almost 5 weeks since the last time since the pain was bearable.

Take care, Lucky
  16. tandy

tandy New Member

I've been trying to come by here just to check messages. (if any) Its tough tho cause its the sitting position that kills me!! it sends that pain shooting right down my leg~ Its so terrible.

And what really sux is I'm going on vacation with my family (kids) for 4 days~ 1 of those days an amusement park :) (I'm not amused) :)

It feels like a BAD charlie horse that does'nt let up!
    my whole outer hip/butt cheek and down into my leg! right into the foot.

I might use an urgent care tomorrow.
    I might have to,... just to get some pain meds to make it thru my hectic week.
    God give me strength!

Thank you for all the suggestions~
    gonna try getting into some PT too.
    Warm hugs
    Tandy