Sciatic question,..please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jul 4, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~ again :)

If you experience sciatic pain is your pain way worse or aggravated by sitting??
    I'm having a very hard time sitting.
    Its not as bad when I'm up walking around. as long as I don;t overdo that either.
    same with laying down,....not as bad.

Its the sitting thats really driving me mad!!
    it makes the pain run down into my leg and foot.
    its like a charlie horse.
    what the hell can I do!!???
    I can't lay down or walk around all day.
    a person NEEDS to sit occasionally???!!!lol
    right??
    I can't even eat my dinner!!! without getting up to walk off the pain/charlie!!
    help :(
    Hugs
    Tandy
    and I'm going away for 4 days!! leavin in the morning!
    can't NOT go. I have reservations~

2. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

I have sciatica from hell! It's my right side. I'm the opposite of you and feel much better sitting. But, I bought a special half size pillow that I place very low on the right side of my back for support. It's saved my life.

Have you tried adding support to your lower back when you sit? My pillow is quite a fluffy one. I had to try a few before I got the exact right one.

Good luck!
    Bev
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I have the same problem as you do, and I think it going to drive me insane!

I don't know if you remember me telling everyone last summer about my many trips to the chiropractor trying to find relief from this or not. But after the first visit, I barely made it back to my car ... and then sat and cried for 45 min. because I was unable to drive myself home!

My sciatic nerve is pinched between L4, L5, and S1. That's real low in my back, right at my tailbone almost. It affects my right hip, leg, foot, and the big toe and toe next to it. The toes are numb and the pain that stays in my hip and leg is so horrific that they are almost numb in pain.

Almost two weeks ago, I had my right knee operated on. When the nerve is going into spasms, it just amplifies the pain in my knee. It's a real killer.

I can't really say that the pain is aggravated by sitting, walking, or lying in bed. Even before this started, I could never stand up or walk for very long due to a lot of other back problems. There will be brief time periods when the nerve is calmed down and the pain isn't too bad. Then, BAM!!!, all of a sudden the nerve goes into spasms and I could just cry from the pain, and sometimes I do!

But I know when the nerve is acting up, I can't sleep because of it. And ... I most definitely can NOT roll over on my right side because it feels like I'm lying on a live electric wire!!

I was just telling Faye the same thing that you said .... it is driving me MAD and I don't know of anything that I can do about it! I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I have already driven to a well-known orthopedic surgeon in a town above 100 miles away from home, and he did not recommend surgery now.

What adds to my problem is that I am overweight and I know when I stand up that this is just more pressure on my hip and leg and makes the pain a lot worse.

This pain has ruined my holiday weekend. On a pain scale of 1-10, my pain has been about a 80!!!!!!!!

When I am sitting in my recliner, I always have a heating pad on my low back ... on low, as to not burn my skin, which I think I already have from years of heating pads!

I need help, too!!!!

If you ever find anything that gives you relief, please let me know, too!!

Love,
    Janet
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm away for a few days~
    gotta put on that "happy' face ya know.
    Grin and bear it~

I pray to God I make it trhu these next few days.
    I pray they wizz by too. sad but true
    The 2-3 hr car ride is whats gonna KILL me!

I'll check in on saturday~
    if I'm able :)
    Hugs and thanks
    (gonna bring a few pillows)
    Tandy
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

There are some good suggestions on another recent post.

Also, if it's "nerve" pain, I discovered a homeopathic remedy that helps. Called Ruta Gravenia (if you can get Standard Process 30C), it's the strongest.

A chinese herb you can also get online is by Plum Flower called "Solitary Hermit"..........that also works well for us.

LIGHT*************carole
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Not awake..........that homeopathic is good for wrists/ankles. It's Hypericum that helps our nerve pain.

'c'
  7. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

i also have sciatica pain. heat aggravates mine. i usually take my messager/vibrater and use it in a circle to break up the muscle spasm or knot. it is not a cure but it helps until i can get to the chiropracter or massage therapist. my tens unit also helps. good luck,cathy p.s. ice works too but i hate to sit or lay when it is spasming as it seems to make it worse...
  8. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees.. this will relieve some of the pressure from the sciatic.

Safe trip!
    Z
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

well,..I made it!!! I'm back after a long trip with tons of walking!! and I have NO clue how I did it!!???
    My pain has eased up a little but its still with me.
    I guess it just takes time.

I have an appointmnet with a chiro on the 18th.
    He's a osteopath so maybe he can help me some.
    (I hope)
    Then again,..I'm kinda scared too. hoping nothing will get aggravated more.
    The car ride was extremely horrible!
    But I made it!!
    not too mention walking around a six flags for a whole darn day!! oh what fun!
    Thank you for all your help and suggestions!
    so far ice seems best for me~
    hugs
    Tandy
    as for feeling trigger points?? I do feel some nasty spots!! spots that when touched bring on the pain worse,..and lots of traveling down the leg!!
    uuggghhh!
  10. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

Hey Tandy lol

didn't I say in one post a year or so ago that we were nearly twins in things on the board>?

Here you go again hitting on another thing I am your twin in.

I have 3 bulging disks in my spine in lumbar area. I was told steriod shots were the next thing to do. So I have had 2 and nada. They have not helped at all.

So I have been told that the only other option is surgery and I don't believe them. So off to the reg doc if I Can this week if he is back from holiday, and see what he says.

Hate being passed from pillar to post and not having a straight answer.

So I have nothing to add about what helps cause nothing has helped me yet lol!

GL Brenda
  11. Imfinetoo

Imfinetoo New Member

I have the same problem you do with sitting. I have been in severe pain for 3 months. I have been to PT, which made it worse, have had two epidurals, which have not helped, have a tens unit, which drives me crazy buzzing up and down my back and never stopping, and am on Lyrica. My pain dr. saw me on Thursday and I was supposed to get an injection to stop the pain down my leg. Did not get it. The week before when I went in I was in so much pain I was crying. This week I was feeling somewhat better emotionally and I think he thought I was much better, even though I said my pain was a 5. Now I don't know what to do. He referred me back to my primary dr., who doesn't believe surgery is the answer, so the pain in my lower back, down my leg, into my foot, and like you, my big toe feels like it turns down, and my toes feel cold and numb. I admire you for going away. I believe if we can focus on something else besides our pain, it does help. If you find an answer to this horrible pain, please let me know. I also believe that it causes my fibro to be much worse. I have pain from below by shoulder blade on the right side, severe pain in my lower back, and pain down my right leg. Good luck and my prayers are with you. I completely understand!!!
  12. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I think I have almost every low back pain and sciatica pain there is. There are no meds or epidurals that help me.

The PT suggestion with the tennis ball, or even one that is a little larger can help.

The best thing for me is to own about 1000 different pillows, various sizes, shapes, fabrics, etc. Using the "right" pillow at the right time gives me the best relief until the pain moves to another point. This is a big problem, really hurts. I carry many pillows in my car too.

Please, no surgery for sciatic pain. I've gone that route.

Good luck to us all,

Arlene

13. tandy

tandy New Member

so many of us with this horror pain!!!

and I can't believe there is'nt anything that helps this!??
    well,...I SHOULD believe it,...not much helps FM so I should'nt be surprized by this, huh?

I'll try the tennis ball under my butt.
    Do you use it under your butt cheek?

Nothing describes this pain better then its like a BAD charlie horse!! one that does'nt easily go away.
    It'll ease up,..then come right back. One wrong move is all it takes.

Glad to see my twin responding!!LOL
    tho,..sorry you have this too!! we do have alot in common~
    Geeeez! no skimping on our pain problems huh?
    keeps us on our toes I guess~??
    hugs all,
    Tandy
    Thanks! for all your help :)