Sciatica flare up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reva727, Jun 19, 2003.

1. reva727

reva727 New Member

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I hurt by back a year and a half ago and have had sciatica down my right leg every since. I guess what I'm looking for advice on what to do. I've had a relapse. The pain in my back, hip and leg have gotten worse, but not as bad as it was in the beginning. Last year I had shots in my back but never went any further with the back doctor. I don't know if I should give it another try or not. I'm afraid of surgery, I've know too many people that are worse off afterwards. Should I try a chiropractor? I take oxycotin for the pain, but the dose I'm on isn't doing much good right now. Anybody with any experience in this area?
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

A few yrs back I had sciatica on my left side all the way down to my big toe. The only thing that finally helped me was the epidural steriod injections (I think I had a total of 3). . . I'm assuming that's the shots you're talking about. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again even tho I felt worse for a couple of days afterwards. But, I finally did get relief. My pain mgm dr. said I could get a couple each year for maintenance if needed. But haven't had to. Now I just have pain everywhere from this FM stuff . . . but I know this isn't sciatica . . . you can definitely tell the difference. It might not hurt to try a chiro . . . I've done that too (for other pain), but for me, it was only temporary relief.

Sharon
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

i've had afew boats of sciatica,same location....low back,down into right butt cheek and down the leg to the calf!!It hurts like hell!! I would'nt do the surgery either so i don't blame you there!!I did go for 8 weeks to PT.I had some ultrsound used on it and hotpacks....followed by massage therapy!!It was great and helped me big time!!(till the next time!) but at therapy I talked to a few there recouping from getting the back surgery.One person, it was too soon to say wether it helped or not.But one guy said he was sorry he went thru it because only 5-6 months after the surgery he had alot of pain back!!he said not as intense but still??and mild sciatica again too. I use a heating pad alot in flareups and muscle relaxers and darvecet helps.Soma works well for me with this pain!!(soma's a good muscle relaxer!!)
    I never did the shots either~so I can't tell you if you should or should'nt do those again. just wanted to say I feel your pain &know exacly the hell your going thru!! At times when mines is acting up.....I can't even get my shoes on,or bend at all!!or how about rolling out of bed!!?
    or getting up from sitting in a chair!!! I would definitly be getting something for pain if I were you!! Have you tried Ty#3 with codiene?? They use to help some too.(two of them!)
    Hope you get better soon,
    :) Hugs,
    Tracey
  4. steffy

steffy New Member

Just wanted to let you know that my husband had effective relief from his sciatica (herniated disc at L4-5) after using an inversion table for a few weeks. I've also had good results with it in relieving my spinal pain from spondylosis. It even seems to help with the cobwebs in my head (by increasing cerebral circulation?).

Good luck,

steffy