SCIATICA PAIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granny1353, Aug 20, 2005.

1. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I have this horrible pain, I can barley walk sometimes I need to use the cane, I cannot find any place that is comfortable.

HELP! Anyone know anything about this or any suggestions what to do for relief

Granny
  2. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

it is a big pain in the butt!-)

there are a few stretches that may help, massage, a heating pad, what helped me the most was going to a chiropractor.

i think the periformis muscle may entrap the nerve, and sometimes getting that muscle worked out can help...but it does hurt to massage that muscle.

couldn't help but put that icon on....

warmly,
    maggie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have had that a few times, it truly is a horrible pain.

I soaked in a special bath;

3 cups of Epson Salts (Magnesium sulfate)

3 bottles of Peroxide (32. ounce size)

Mix in a tub of water as warm as you can handle, soak for 20 minutes only. When you get out of the bath, go to bed as you will feel weak for half an hour, better yet, go to bed for the night.

A heating pad is also a big help.

By the way, putting a pillow between your knees when you sleep also helps, try laying on your side, as laying on your back seems to make the pain worst.

Its not a cure but it will help relieve the pain.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't know if this is what I have or not. I have a post up now about how my trip to the chiropractor went!

I have a pinched nerve (the sciatica???) between L4 and L5 or maybe it's L5 and L6, if there is a 6!!!

It's been killing me. I have already been diagnosed with a lot of back issues:

Cervical:
    -degenerative disks
    -buldging disks
    -thecal sac effacement
    -bone spurs
    -paramedian disk herniation
    -spinal canal stenosis, moderate
    -compression of exiting nerve root
    -cervical spondylosis, moderate to severe
    -facet arthropathy
    Thoracic:
    -bone spurs
    -arthritis
    Lumbar:
    -pinched nerve (numbness in leg & foot & PAIN)
    -degenerative disk disease
    -spinal canal stenosis
    -impingement in anterior subarachnoid space
    -degenerative osteoarthritis of facet joints, severe

This was done through a CAT scan without contrast (I was allergic to the dye). They could have told more about my back if I had had an MRI, but I couldn't because I have a pacemaker.

Anyway, my primary doc just told me NOT to have surgery on this pinched nerve; my rheumy wants to send me to physical therapy; and I knew I couldn't do P.T. right now in all this pain, so I elected to go to a chiropractor!

The chiropractor said he thought he could have the nerve released in about 5 visits or so. So, this is what I am trying!

And, yes, it is a horrific pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care and hope you find some relief, and if you do, please let me know!

(((Hugs)))
    Janet
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

People get confused as to what sciatica is. Sciatica is usually defined as a radiculopathy, or compression of a nerve root as it exits the spine. This is something that can't be help by chiropractic techniques, and requires MD evaluation and treatment.

There is "piriformis syndrome" that develops when the piriformis muscle [a small muscle located deep in the rear (behind the gluteus maximus)] becomes tight / spasms, and places pressure on the sciatic nerve that runs vertically beneath the piriformis muscle. The pressure on the sciatic nerve can cause low back pain and/or pain that radiates to the rear and down the leg (similar to sciatica pain). Piriformis syndrome does not cause true sciatica, but can cause similar pain all the way down the leg.

If it's piriformis syndrome, a chiropractor can help through manipulation and deep massage (using the old elbow). I've had this done . . hurts like heck, but afterward, the pain has been gone.

You could do the same thing through a "self massage" technique. If you place a tennis ball along the backside of your buttocks where the hollow of the muscle is and lie on it (this will hurt as well), and then roll the ball around in the hollow for a few minutes, which should help piriformis syndrome.

I'd take Shirl's advice before and after going to a chiropractor or doing a self massage with a tennis ball, take a nice warm bath.

Jeannette
  6. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Sciatic pain is worse than a toothache!! After a fall in 1996 which fractured my sacrum, the sciatic nerve is pinched and my left thigh is numb to the touch but not to the pain. I found relief after receiving SI joint injections and epidural steroid injections at UCSF pain management. Before going to UCSF, I had deep burning aching sensations and a constant charlie horse in my right leg. It got so bad that I wished they would cut my leg off. The first set of injections were done on a thursday and by Saturday morning I felt like wonder woman!!! My appts are 3 months apart and I continue going because for some reason the meds they inject give me relief from the pain that Fibromyalgia causes. I did stop the injections for 2 years because I felt my body need a break. In that 2 yrs the sciatic pain was tolerable. But when the deep burning aching and the charlie horses came back with a vengance I decided to resume pain management therapy.

I hope you find relief soon.

Bubblegum
  7. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

by going to physical therapy and having ultrasound treatments.