Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ourlife, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ourlife

ourlife New Member

Went to neuro yesterday and was told i have sciatica on my right side. I thought I had an ingrown toenail and come to find out it's the nerve in my leg and toes that is hurting. This is crazy. FM/CFS and now sciatica. he told me to excercise but how the heck am i supposed to do that, It kills my leg to drive...not to mention my whole body hurts anyway.

2. ourlife

ourlife New Member

Thats funny you should mention that. I hade one a little over two years pain started about two years ago and was finally diagnosed last Oct. (08) Now its' getting ready to rain and my legs are killing me..i'm at work right now sitting at a desk and the pain is sometimes unbearable.
    Driving or riding in a car is torture.
  3. italiano

italiano New Member

i work at a desk. have to get up every 15 minutes to relieve the pressure and pain. for me it's also riding in a car that can bring me to tears. glad i am not alone.
    nothing has helped. been to chiro, massage, tens unit, nothing.
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I had very bad sciatica after spraining my back. I went through PT and did the chiro, tens unit, massage etc.... None of that helped me either.

What finally worked was laying down most of the time and letting it rest. It's probably different for everyone but it's important to know all the possible solutions.It's funny, doctors used to prescribe bedrest for it.

I hope it clears up for you soon.

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2009]
  5. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Easily diagnosed.

Had Piriformis from '83 or so. Thousands spent in search for cure. Sports chiro cured mine in '88. Two treatments; 15 minutes of very hot wet towel followed by 5 or 10 minutes of deep ultrasound. Third treatment 6 months later. Needed a fourth a couple of weeks after running the '89 Vermont 100 Mile Trail Race. None since. Plus stretching.

Ex had hers cured by a very talented physical therapist.

6. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

and holy cow! i had some problems w sciatic nerve, but its better now. i certainly never heard of trying to treat it from the vagina!!!!!! what did they do?

7. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

I read your post, and it made me laugh aloud beacause i was thinking the same thing ! it is not that i think the situation is fuuny, not at all painpal, just the thought , thats all. But very interesting too know how it was done that way...
  8. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Just wondering did your neuro prescribe anything for the sciatica?

I've been having the same symptoms you've described, my appointment is next week with my Rheumy. i had a fall today and wow am i ever sore.

9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've had this for years. Started when I was running hills. Now any kind of exercise is a no-no.

What helps are having my helper take a "roller" I got from a chiropractor & roll my butt & legs. Then if I'm consistent enough, there's a chinese herb by Plum Flower called "Solitary Hermit" that works wonders.

If I'm woken up in the night which is usually when I get it, I put on my magnetic brace. That takes it away as well. But it's a daily/nightly happening.

There's a cream called Traumameel (sp?) that helps if I rub it into my knees, and also a spray called "Stopain" that is helpful for all types of pain.

Since starting homeopathic Serotonin last week, my pain has lessened, and next I'm going to try Magnesium Oil for overall aches & pains.

Hoping some of these will help you.
  10. kjfms

kjfms Member

Gentle exercise/stretching really does help the pain of sciatica. You have to be very gentle. I hope you physician gave you proper instructions.

I know it is hard but I also know it helps from personal experience. Just be careful and don't push yourself too hard.

Feel better,