Scientific evidence for hormone dysfunction in CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpiroSpero, Aug 11, 2006.

1. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Hi,

because I see an endocrinologist next week I wanted to ask you what hormones I should check. The problem is she knows nothing about CFS so I need to give her scientific evidence for my needs.
    I want to check Growth Hormone, Testosterone and DHEA (please tell me if there are other important hormones).
    Dr. Cheney wrote something about CFS and GH which I will show her. I also have some lines about DHEA and CFS from immunesupport. If anyone has more papers about CFS and hormones please be so kind and post them.
    Looking forward to reading them.

Greets

Manuel
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Have the dr check Thryoid, progesterone and prognenolone.
    I was low in all three of these as well as growth hormone and testosterone.

Good luck at your dr appt next week!!
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Suggest you check "fight4acure" Post that collected
    articles on these subjects. It has over 50 Responders
    and is still Posted here!! Lots of info. there!

Have a good Day,
    MRDAD
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Manuel!

Basically all hormones are slightly low in CFS. Which ones you take depends on your body's needs, I guess.

You might check out Dr. Teitelbaum's book "From Fatigued to Fantastic". He has a chapter on hormone supplements. It has footnotes to scientific studies and a bibliography.

Dr. Broda Barnes estimates that 40% of the US population has an underactive thyroid. Not surprisingly, about 40% of CFS patients take thyroid supplements.

I would suggest beginning any hormone with a very small dose and working your way up to the correct dose for you. It's easier on your body that way.

Good luck!
    Forebearance
  5. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Thanks for your answers.

@MrDad: Unfortunately there are many "fight4acure" threads and the search tool doesn't just search thread headlines but all headlines of all postings. Do you have a direct link to it?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2006]