SCLERODERMA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrskbarnett, Mar 10, 2003.

1. mrskbarnett

mrskbarnett New Member

While surfing the net and looking for answers to Fibro. I came across another muscle syndrom, Scleroderma. Does anyone know the difference between the two? They both have many of the same symptoms?
  2. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I don't think she shared very many of my symptoms. Her internal organs were hardening and she came up with a case of pulmonary hypertension which supposedly is what did her in.

My parents are both 85 and have had no major medical problems but my sister up and dies with this awful affliction and I'm nearly bedridden with what is supposed to be FMS/CFIDS. Does anyone see a problem here?

Scleroderma can be terminal in many cases as I understand it and FMS/CFIDS is not supposed to be. Yet my husband's old 82 year old friend had a wife who died last year and the condition written on her last ride to hospital was fibromyalgia. The old fella insists that is what she died of so I'm not going to argue with him but we keep being told this thing is not a fatal illness.

I just don't know - scleroderma seems infinitely worse than what I have yet I am disabled - help!

Sorry I cannot be more help.

Pam
  3. WendyC

WendyC New Member

it damages the soft tissues in the body (lungs, kidneys) by depositing too much collagen, thereby turning the organs hard. It also attacks the joints in the same manner. Have not heard of it affecting muscles. Lucky me I have FM and scleroderma so both my muscles and joints hurt. Joints are worse though. Fm often accompanies autoimmune diseases. Search for scleroderma on web, lots of sites but this one is the best.

WendyC
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Remember that guy who used to host "America's Funniest Videos?" His sister died of Scleroderma. He wrote a book about it and it was made into a TV movie which starred Dana Delaney, I think. It was heartbreaking.

It always amazes me to see how many families have both CFS/FMS and autoimmune illnesses. I can't help but believe they are all connected at some level.

I am alway so saddened to hear of our members' families and loved ones who are afflicted. My prayers go out to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. 2girls

2girls New Member

Yes Mickie, I saw the movie. It was about Bob Saget's sister (don't remember her name). What a tragic movie! And what a wonderful tribute to his sister and the cause.

2girls
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

has scleroderma. Sometimes she has quite a bit of pain, and she has very little use of her hands now due to this, in that she has difficulty doing things that require picking up and lifting, even folding laundry. She has lost part of one finger due to scleroderma.
  7. pearls

pearls New Member

I'm so sorry that you have that horrible disease. And I'm so sorry, too, for the others who wrote about family members suffering and/or dying from it.

-Pearl
  8. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I try not to think about it 'tomorrow is another day'. Don't want to think about dying, just trying to regain my life, I am hopeful.
    hugs
    Wendyc
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry. My prayers are with you. I did have a client whose Scleroderma did not progress past the pain in her hands, so I know there is always hope.

Love, Mikie
  10. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I have researched this and I have had such a bad day I do not have info on top of my head, or anywhere right now. I sent away for alot of info because when dr. opened up my hand, he said he never saw tissue quite like that. Stated it could be indicitive of scleroderma. I do know it can take numerous forms and there are 2 types like lupus. Some of the milder cases do mimic alot of our problems. So you are correct. You can send away to the foundation if you have concern. It can be just in the hands for yrs. then take off. It is different for every pt. just like ourselves and the degree`s of which each of us suffers. I will find the info if needed ,I know it is here somewhere. I know south Boston had asevere outbreak in a 3 mi. area that is under research now. Plus numerous other outbreaks of autoimmune disorders there. This is all my tired brain is giving me now. To the rest of you who have lost someone to this dd. My hugssss
  11. WendyC

WendyC New Member

You are always so kind and supportive to myself and everyone here. Kisses and hugs

WendyC