Scoloisis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaGa, Nov 19, 2002.

1. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Hope the spelling is right.Ive has scolosis since i was 13 and lower back pain as long.Im 55 and the scolosis is getting worse the dr said it was turning on itself the spine that is.I think this condition cause alot of my problems>How many of you suffer from this. LindaGa
  2. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Hope the spelling is right.Ive has scolosis since i was 13 and lower back pain as long.Im 55 and the scolosis is getting worse the dr said it was turning on itself the spine that is.I think this condition cause alot of my problems>How many of you suffer from this. LindaGa
  3. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Hi Linda,
    I also have scoliosis. I don't really have a problem with it except my back goes out sometimes. I have to be careful not to lift anything very heavy. I do have a lot of back pain but it's at the top and my spine is curved at the bottom. My neice had to have rods put in her back at age 12. That's a terrible surgery.
    I'm sorry you have this so bad. I've always said I'd rather anything hurt as my back. Of course, that's what hurts most.
    Is there anything that can be done for you?

Hang in there
    Sapphire
  4. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

my doctor told me i had a slight curve to my spin that she called Scoliosis of the spin. so far has not been a big problem, but was told with age my get worse. hope that help. there are so many thing that can go wrong with our bodies. I was 22 when i found out.

stephanie
  5. buzby

buzby New Member

I was diagnosed with Scoliosis in 82. It didn't really bother me at first except for the occassional strain, but with all the lying down I do with this DD, I am in constant pain and have to be very careful.
    Have just seen a Chiropractor today to hear that he can't help me any more... not that he did much in the first place. So I am going to try a supplement containing Glucosamine Sulphate and Chondroitin. My mum takes it and feel it is helping with her joints. So I am going to give it a go.
    The other thing that I do is a stretch of the lower back in the morning. Pull your knees up towards your chest.GO SLOW and inflict NO PAIN!
    Apart from that warm baths and a heating pad help when I really get it out of whack.
    Good Luck.
    Buzby
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I have scoliosis too.After about a yr of nasty bouts of low back pain,I finally had a Dr order X-rays and then a MRI,I was told then that I had a c spine curve and 2 herniated disks!!Then the FM reared its homely head!!
    I believe having this defect in my spine has contributed greatly to my back problems.
    Have a good evening!
    Tracey
  7. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I didn't even know until I ran across some x-ray reports for my lawsuit!!! Nice thing for my doctor not to tell me.
  8. phenom

phenom New Member

yep i've got scoliosis too.... its only mild and doesn't cause me many problems other than a sore back every now and again.
  9. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Also have disc degeneration at T10. I have reduced lung capacity due to rib rotation.
    Pain from neck to tailbone. Research is being done because of the large amount of FM/CFS patients with spinal problems. The doctors think there must be some relation.
  10. Starla

Starla New Member

I found out I had scoliosis at age 10, wore a body brace for 2 years, had to go to a Medical University in Houston, TX to be adjusted and analyzed every 6 weeks. Finally, when curve kept progressing so much it pushed my heart and lungs over to the left, they did surgery and implanted a Herrington Rod. My back mainly hurts at the hip area from bending over. Funny, I just read an article in a magazine about adults having scoliosis. There is a website I will email you. Good luck with your back problems. I'm glad you posted this thread. I never thought about others with FM having scoliosis too.
  11. Mariah

Mariah New Member

Tracey-- I also have C shaped scoliosis and you're the first person I've ever heard of besides me that has it! I have searched the internet before trying to get information on this kind of scoliosis and didn't find anything. I am sooo excited to have found you!

My previous orthopedic dr told me that it's a rare form and that my curve is 26 degrees. (I think I have the degree correct...it might be one or two degrees lower...I'd have to find my report to be sure) And he called it "C shaped Levo Scoliosis" For those of you who aren't familiar with C Shaped Scoliosis: it doesn't have a compensatory curve like the more common S shape kind. It looks like your spine is in a C shape.
    Anyways, I have mega pain with mine. I need to get back to an ortho dr, as it's been about 3 years since I've seen one and I know it's gotten worse. My ribs on my right side feel like they're pushing into my abdomen and it's very uncomfortable and sometimes even painful.

I had no idea that there was a connection between scoliosis in general and fibromyalgia. I'm totally shocked!
    Between the FM pain, the rare scoliosis, arthritis and now it seems that there is something neurologically wrong with me (am seeing a neurologist--- we're trying to figure out what's going on) I am unable to work outside the home. I sell things on ebay (mostly used clothes) when I can which isn't very often, as even something that simple is difficult for me. I think I also have CFS but haven't had a dr mention it to me.

Anyhow, thanks so much for the post Linda. Looks like we're not alone in this.

(P.S. those animations are so terribly annoying! Has anyone ever complained about them before? It makes it hard to concentrate with all that flashing going on. lol)
  12. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

I just found out last week that I have a curve to my spine also. In the past 2 months I have also been told that I have multiple bulging discs from my neck all the way down my spine, bone spurs and narrowing of the spine. Oh ya, and arthritis in my neck. Talk about a walking disaster area. LOL. My orthopedisist has ordered another nerve test and I go back in 2 weeks.The pain has gotten so bad that its effecting other aspects of my life. It really sucks! I cannot take anything for pain either because I have such a foul eaction to pain killers. Surgery is getting closer. Fun! I didn't realize how many other people are having similar problems. I will certainly do more research. Thanks for mentioning it! Good luck to you and hope you get pain free!
  13. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have some scoliosis and I also have a curved back on the one side (the hump). I guess I had it when I was a kid--don't know. I get upper back pain and my lung capacity is affected as the pulminologist told me. I also have osteoporosis--don't know if it's related to this in any way.
    Tania
  14. HiFive

HiFive New Member

I recently had exrays done by a chiropractor. My spine looks like an "S" and my cervical vertebrae curve the wrong way. He did not say this is scoliosis.
    When I was 20 I had an accident and crushed one vertebra and fractured another. Wore a body cast for six months then a brace. I'm now 43 and this is the first that I have been told or shown the shape of my spine (that I can remember anyway.) Do you think this is scoliosis?
    I have had back pain for as long as I can remember, even prior to the accident. I do go the chiro for adjustments weekly. Should I be concerned or should I seek any other treatment?
    I thought that scoliosis was a childhood problem.
    pam
  15. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

Ask your chiro he should be able to tell you . Hope this helps.

stephanie
  16. fibolady

fibolady New Member

one of my chiro's told me i had this and it would only get worse with age, gee, that made my day.

warm regards, fibolady
  17. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Got the e-mail from you was really pleased to hear from you I checked it out and asked for info thank you.seems like a lot of us have scolosis.This isn't just a child problem my spine use to be an s shape then it started interfering with lungs and other organs.Now it is turning on itselp so it is reaching severe trouble at this time my left leg,hip and low back are extreme pain all the time,and can'nt walk without walker and wheelchair for any kind of distance.I'm 55 and it was found at age 13(parents were affraid of surgery)and I grew up to be affraid of it also.Went to a scolosis dr once and he said he could fix my leg or my back so the choice was mind which one to fix.His attitute scared me like he didn't care if I got it fixed or not so I never went back. Maybe there is a connection with this and fms or cfs. God Bless You All, LindaGa
  18. j9miller

j9miller New Member

Both of my daughters have scoliosis. My 13 year old had surgery last year. Her curve was 66% by the time she had the surgery. She was 5 when she was dx and had a 40% curve, she wore a brace until the surgery. A tough surgery for her, she almost died. She is doing well now. Has back pain at times though. So glad to be past that.
    My 11 year old daughter is now wearing a brace. Her curve is 25% but the dr is concerned because of her sister so he has her in the brace. Praying not to face that surgery with her.
    Please ... to those of you suffering, see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in spinal disorders. There are options out there ... letting it go just makes it worse. Good luck.

Janine
  19. tandy

tandy New Member

if you should see this....
    I'm sorry, I never seen this reply to me.Thats freaky too b/c I never met anyone yet either with the C scoliosis!!!Wow were twins!!LOL so do you think that helps contribute to alot of our pain?I do.And you surprized me with the ribs on one side sticking out more and causing pain...I have that badly lately. It seems everything is shifted inside me!!not where it should be???I'm hoping this does'nt progress further.Nice to meet you and hope to talk again.
    love,
    Tracey
  20. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

I have CFS and I have scoliosis...diagnosed at age 9...mine is a backward S shape. My mother has the hook or C curve and has had 13 surgeries...I don't think I will EVER put myself thru that if I can help it...all those surgeries and she's still in pain, has a recurring infection in her back, has to go to an infectuous disease doctor for treatment of that and has so much metal in her that her spine looks like the Eifel Tower! Plus, they want to do MORE surgery! In my case, when I bend over to vacuum, sweep, clean or anything for any length of time; even shave my legs, I get stuck! The next day I can hardly move. My husband is a real dear and does all of that for me now.

I now wonder will all of us that have replied to this board regarding scoliosis, if there is some kind of connection to it and CFS/FM. It certainly brings up some questions, doesn't it? But, just because of my feelings regarding surgery, if you can find a really good orthopod, and I mean REALLY GOOD, that says that's what you need, get a second opinion first, then do what's right for you. But know that there are a lot of us out here right along with you if you need support. As with CFS, scoliosis can really be hard to deal with and it helps to have a friend...or in this case...a lot of friends! Good luck...
    #1Writer