Scooter anyone????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PainPainGoAway, Dec 27, 2008.

1. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I've been approved to get a scooter...argh, I have such mixed feelings about it. I have to admit, an electric ride is much easier on my body than being pushed in a wheel chair.

Any comments from those who have one, I would appreciate your imput. I can walk, but not for very long. I have trouble sitting (cause unknown) and often have to lay flat so I've hesitated towards getting anything that would having me sitting too often.

I would need it for outside my home, as I can get around okay inside my tiny house most of the time.

2. PainPainGoAway

3. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

I have considered a scooter myself and people on my neuropathy board recommend them. I've used a wheelchair a few times because, like you, I can walk but not for long periods. We just visited a museum this week and I had to use it. I have peripheral neuropathy and a ruptured disk along with FM/CFS so between pain in my feet, legs and low back it makes it hard. I'm not sure the scooter would be much different though than a wheelchair other than you are more independent with them. You still get the same stares but I have found people to be very friendly with me when I'm in the wheelchair. It's kind of strange. I can do about an hour of shopping on my own so for now I don't need the assistance very often. Just find one that's light since you'll probably have to lift it. Also, I can't sit very long either and it's because of the nerve pain running down the back of my leg from the ruptured disk. Something to consider maybe.
  4. lea

lea Member

recommend a Quickie Melody. I too cannot walk much, and I must lay down mostly.

good luck
  5. PainPainGoAway

I have several ruptured disks but was told that wasn't what the inability to sit was from, possibly a combo of a slipped disk and scoliosis. Who knows! I'm improved somewhat but will never be able to walk around like a few years ago.

I wouldn't be able to lift even 10 lbs at this point but would have help. I don't mind the stares, I usually find everyone very nice and never have expereinced any problems while using a wheel chair or walker (other than an embarrassed son!).

It will be nice being able to go back to a mall or big grocery store, but I can walk as well and worry about how to know when to use it and when to walk but will figure that out.

Thanks for the responses...any more out there? I will look into the quickie!!!

6. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi cindy
    I have both a scooter and a wheelchair. Unforunatly right now I can't use either because of lift on car not operating.

I did use my scooter alot. There are all kinds of seat cushions(can't sit either for long). My scooter does break down however I can not lift it. I have been wondering if wheelchair would be more comfortable.
    Hard to say cause everything hurts right now.

Overall I miss having the use of it as there are lots more places or distances I could go with it. Now have to avoid going. Only shop with stores who have them.

Go for it the freedom is worth it.