Scooter Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shar6710, Sep 8, 2006.

1. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I am thinking about getting a scooter and wanted to ask some questions. I can get around my small house okay but I can't go out and do anything that requires walking more than just a few feet and uneven surface are very difficult. I'm not even going to try to get insurance to pay,its just not worth the hassle for me. But if y'all could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Are there any features you that you do or don't like?

Are there brands I should avoid?

Did you buy online or at a store?

Do you think I'd be better off going new and less expensive or buying a used possibly better model?

I had more but I forgot them while I was typing this... I'm sure you understand.

Thanks!!!!
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

my husband grew up in Mt Vernon.
    We are in our 50's
    I read your bio and your horse is beautiful .
    I'm not sure if you would know him and I do not know how to keep things really privite here we are not surpose to use our real names.

Its nice to meet someone from back home and I wish you well.

Sorry I do not know anythink about scooters.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm not sure about companies you should avoid.

But for a good scooter company, check out Pride Mobility, online. They seem to have the most reasonably priced scooters. You can get a very basic three-wheeled or four-wheeled scooter for around $600 or $700. The Go-Go is one of these lightweight scooters. Scooters and power chairs can get extremely expensive. Hoverounds (fancy power chairs) list at about $6000.

You might ask Sues1: she just got a GoGo scooter.

You can also check on e-bay and craigslist.com

Cheap scooters tend to be a bit bumpy on sidewalk cracks, but are very comfortable on smooth streets, paths, or pavement. More expensive ones are probably more comfortable and offer extra features--and will probably last you longer.

A friend gave me an old Amigo scooter. It turns out the thing cost around $2000 back in the early 90s. A friend of mine built a small wooden ramp up to our front step (4 inches high), and I ride it to the park almost every day (about half a block away), and I can "walk" the dog again. My wife can also pack it up in the car and I've ridden it on some nice paved paths in town. It moves right along, at about 4-5 miles an hour, and you can go about 10 miles on one battery charge. I think the Go Go scooter is very similar. It's not very good on carpet or grass, though; the motor tends to have to work too hard.

Since they are so expensive, it might be a good idea to go to a mobility company and test ride different scooters.

I can't walk anywhere outside, so a scooter has GREATLY improved my quality of life. I can now get outside everyday by myself (though I take the cell phone just in case I have a problem with the scooter and I can't walk home).

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  4. gnanny

gnanny New Member

My husband got a power chair on ebay, its very nice. Had lots of photos to see the condition etc. I think we paid around $700. I have had it a little over a year.

Last summer we went to the state fair...I thought I was going to get by with a rolling walker but then we saw that they had the 3 wheel scooters for rent. woohoo! I loved it.

I felt more in control of the steering with the scooter than the power chair which reminds me a lot of a video game with that joy stick thing. I am sure practise would help but I am just not that co-ordinated I guess.
    soooooooo my dear husband went right on line and started looking for a scooter. It didnt take very long long and he found a great one on Craigs List. Again its good as new and has worked out great for a fraction of the six to 8 thousand dollars they want for a new one. I use the power chair indoors when I am having a bad spell and the scooter for outdoors. The rough ground really does me in. It also allows me to get the mail. So many times I stumbled trying to hurry to cross the road.

They have the smaller inexpensive scooters...but I think it would be better to buy used and get something sturdy that will last you awhile.

I was embarrassed at first but doing better about it now.
    I would rather swallow my pride than sit at home.

I hope this has helped a little. If nothing else it might bump it back up where someone else will see it.

best wishes, Stephanie
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Carebelle

Hope you see this I'm pretty new at the message board thing... My husband and I moved here five years ago so I probably wouldn't know him. I worked in Fredericktown and so I probably know more people there anyway. Although it is a small county and everbody seems to know everbody.

6. lea

lea Member

mobility companies around here all seem to basically on carry that brand.

Spinlife or glad with a dot net seem to have lots of info., and they seem to have better prices. I have not dealt with them personally, nor do I have affiliations with those companies.

good luck
    best,
    lea
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I appreciate all the advice I've never gone to Craigslist but I'll check it out. I have looked on ebay some. Think maybe I'll go to the scooter store and drive some as suggested and then shop around for the best price.

Best wishes to all,
    Shar
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

Mine is not a Go-Go but a Zip'r 3. I paid $589.00 and shipping was free. It comes a part and can easily be put in my Mercury Sable trunk.

My number one concern was affording a scooter and then how do I transport it? I love my car, the way it handles an all, that is important also. Plus I just did not feel I could afford both at the same time, a scooter and another vehicle. I just sent them a check, I bought it online and do not like to post credit cards.

Someone on this board said that maybe I could get it through insurance co. as it was under a thousand dollars, which is the normal cap for ins. pay under durable equipment. Said it is esier to get approved for durable equipment. I never applied.

I emailed friends that put me in touch with others across the country, for advise. I was told to never WALK into a scooter store to try scooters out. I walk fine around my home. You are not to be able to walk over a few feet.

The turning radius is great and I feel like I have wings. The feeling of freedom and be able to shop in stores and malls is so wonderful!
    There is a dealer on Ebay for these scooters. Also by entering Zip'r 3 scooter in a search engine you will find other places, plus the factory that makes them. Same price as Ebay sellers, they are a dealership for it.

Any questions? Just ask me..........Blessings.......Susan
  9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Try the insurance. Medicare requires that you use it somewhat in the house to qualify.

However, get one that can be used outside off pavement, if you want to garden, ride it in grass, etc.

IF heavy duty, get four wheel one.

Do get solid, flat proof tires. Mine is ten years old and does not do well on anything but pavement and I get flat tires in the tubes.

THEY COME IN ALL KINDS OF PRICES. I suggest that you view them at two or more places and compare them, sit on them, get the information and consider on it.

HOWEVER, I LIVE IN A LARGE CITY AND THEY OFTEN TURN UP USED IN THE NEWSPAPER AT SUBSTANTIALLY LESS THAN NEW COST.

Some are quite lightweight and can be disassembled and put in the trunk of relatively small cars. Select the model, and then look on eBay, as dealers will sometimes sell the very same models new on there, for substantially less and have them delivered directly to your door from the manufacturer, and you cut out a good deal of the cost.

A NOTE ABOUT LIFTS.

I BOUGHT A VAN AND THEN A LIFT, AND MANY OF THE AUTO COMPANIES WILL PROVIDE A THOUSAND DOLLARS OFF ON VANS WHICH ARE GOING TO BE OUTFITTED FOR SCOOTERS OR WHEELCHAIRS.

There are lifts which are very simple, and fit into a suitcase, and will go into the back or side of the vehicle, but I could not handle that, so I got a power one.

A WORD OF CAUTION. I GOT MINE VIA THE SCOOTER STORE, PAID $1,600 FOR IT, AND IT TOOK THEM AN HOUR TO INSTALL IT, I HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT, AND MY HUSBAND HAD TO TAKE IT TO A LOCAL AUTO SHOP AND THEY REINSTALLED IT.

Then, I saw the same lift, new on eBay for $400. THE SAME MODEL. One can take it to any reasonable auto shop and they will install for a couple hundred.

I love my scooter, but I bought it in 1995 and it is ready to go to scooter heaven, so I called my insurance company and THEY ONLY BUY ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIRS WHICH START AT $6,000 which my neurologist and pain guy said SURE WE CAN DO TO THAT. Why do they insist on spending all that additional money?

At any rate, I am going to get one, and a walker with 8 inch wheels and a seat, so I can use it whenever I can, without the wheelchair, but it has gotten to the point where getting the mail or the newspaper is a major undertaking.
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Ah yes, a Zip'r.

I don't know why I was thinking you got a Go Go scooter.

Kholmes
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

Does Consumer Reports have a website that they might have some info on scooters?????? You might want to check.
  12. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

for the advice. I told my hubby all that I had learned from you. We decided that since I REALLY want one for my birthday and who knows when his schedule will allow him to take me to shopping I'm going to by one online.

Susan, thanks for replyig, I had already had my eye on a Zip'r 3 so I think I'm either going to get it or one that's just a little more money but the heaviest piece is a bit lighter.

I'll let you know what I get.

Thanks Again,
    Shar
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

for Caroleye...

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006]
  14. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

do any of you take your scooter/power chair outside in the winter? like on a sidewalk that has packed snow? I am trying to figure out how I will get around this winter. The more active I am, the more my left leg drags and I can't see dragging it thru the snow. I know my rollator won't work...unless they make snow tires for it...LOL!

15. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

16. lea

lea Member

Please let me know what is the name and model of your lift?
    Also, if you don't mind, what is the name of your vehicle?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
    BTW, did you say that your lift is FULLY automatic; so you do not have to do anything?
    thank you
    best,
    lea