Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

The Scottish soccer team beat France in Paris on Wednesday - the first time in 57 YEARS!!!!!

I swear the earth moved in Scotland with the amount of people jumping around......

2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rosie and Scottish footballers!

57 years?

I thought I felt the tremors here in New Mexico.
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

His grandfather came from Scotland in the early 1900's...

Go Scots!

4. sisland

sisland New Member

You all must be Proud! Congratulations! Hopefully this will happen every year now!
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Fantastic!!! Wow, 57 years, that must be quite the celebration! I love soccer, wish I would have seen that game, how exciting for you all! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2007]
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yep,very proud to be a Scotsman last Wednesday after beating hot favourites France.The sport in the British Isles over the summer has been amazing,esp the golf,& has given us a real feel-good factor.
    Yay to the small country of 5 million Scots who beat the superstars of French football.
    There was an attendance of 48000 at the match & would you believe that over half the crowd were the Scots Tartan Army,many of whom were bedecked in kilts..Way to go,lol.
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Mean't to say that we did actually beat France 1-0 last year but that was in Scotland,and that was a very memorable occasion in itself.This is the first time in 57 years that we've actually beat them on French soil.

Check out the amazing link to You-tube below.It shows 20,000 Scots marching & singing on their way from The Eiffel Tower to the match at the Parc de Princes last week.
    No wonder they won with that passionate support behind them.
    They're singing a song along the lines of:
    "We'll be coming down the road,when you hear the songs of the Tartan Army roar!"
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2007]
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Since my husband's grandfather came to the US from Scotland in the first decade of the 20th century, and since both my husband's parents have passed away at the ripe old age of 90 for his dad and almost 93 for his mom...and since they left us an inheritance, my husband and his two siblings and spouses may visit Scotland together next year.

So, as we make plans, etc., may I ask you and you two for some good places to visit, etc.? It is a real possibilty and as we aren't getting any younger, we need to do it soon.

My heritage is English and Irish so visiting the British Isles would be a very neat thing for me. And, seeing where his grandfather lived and worked since we have all his old tools that he brought over to the US when he came, it would be fun to muse what he might have built.

Anyway, go Scots! Beat the French! That has to be good always.

9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

That would be a very exciting adventure,a trip to the British Isles.I'm sure you & your family would love a trip to Scotland,& I think you'd also love a trip around Ireland.
    Of course I will help you with any info of Scottish places that you need.I've only visited a tiny percentage of places in Scotland that I would want to so my be warned I don't have that much knowledge of Scottish places to visit,but anything I do know I'll be more than happy to impart,lol.
    I think visiting Britain at this time may also be rather expensive at the moment,seeing as it will cost you $2 for £1,so bear that in mind.
    That said,I'm sure it would be a trip of a lifetime for you.
    One final thing,can't guarantee any good weather for you,lol.
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I will keep you updated on our plans...I hoping sometime next summer will be the time. But, don't know...

About the weather! We are used to foggy, cool weather. We live in Eureka, and during WWII, the army/air corp looked for a place most like London to train pilots. They chose a strip of land about 7 miles from our home...and it is still our airport today.

We have fog, rain, etc....not what people think of when they think of California...but on the very northwestern coast, that's what we've got.

Hope today is a good one for you. Take care.

11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that will be so exciting for you to come to the UK.

I know of some good places for you to visit in Scotland and will tell you about them before you leave.

12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I really hope we are going to do this...I would love to see the dad was there as a GI during WWII...he crossed the Channel about a week after D-Day. He and his company set up the first permanent air base in France after the invasion.

I don't know why I thought of that, but my heart has always had a tender spot for the UK...I was an English major in college, love the stoicism of the Brits/Scots and their wit...just would love to see it. Also, both my grandfathers were English in ethnicity.

And my husband's father was Scottish through and through.

So, hopefully we will get there. My husband's brother and his wife both have health conditions that may make this hard for them to do, but we hope all will come together.

I'll definitely keep you informed of our plans.
  13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

where did your grandfathers come from in England and where did your husband's family come from.

It is a great adventure to look forward to and I hope you make it across too.