Scottish Forum-Current Concepts in ME/CFS/FM - 3/2002 Post 1

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rozmund, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Report compiled by: Dr. Marily James-McNeill, A Cdn. Public Health physician/sufferer of Post/Viral Fatigue Syndrome living in Scotland and unable to work consequent to an acute onset of the illness in Dec 99 following Influenza A - She is a member of The Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Association of Ontario,Canada. Studies comparing ME/CFS and FM have failed to demonstrate any MAJOR DIFFERENCES.Speakers: Dr. Abhijit Chaudhuri, Sr Clinical Lecturer in Neurology, U of Glasgow, Dr. Charles Shepherd, Medical Advisor, The ME Assoc. Val Hockery, Chief Executive, The ME Assoc. The one day seminar was attended by over 100 ambulatory and wheel-chair persons with CFS/ME spanning many careers. The most important message from Dr. Shepherd was to inform the group of statements from the recent publication of the Chief Medical Officer's Working Group on CFS/ME. It gave an authoritative statement that CFS/ME is a GENUINE ILLNESS. iT IS A CHRONIC AND DEBILITATING CONDITION which imposes a substantial burden on the health of the U.K. population. While there was some dissension, and on-going debate by a number of stakeholders groups, the most important take-away message by the CMO is that doctors are now no longer able to say that they don't think CFS/ME exists and know nothing about it. The National Health service will be required to develop and set-up appropriate services. This is to be taken with a sense of urgency and accountability. Dr. Shepherd held up an information booklet on FCS/ME and accompanying patient information booklet which had been developed following the report. These are being distributed to all doctors in England. The equivalent is being developed for Scottish distribution. More coming.
  2. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Report compiled by: Dr. Marily James-McNeill, A Cdn. Public Health physician/sufferer of Post/Viral Fatigue Syndrome living in Scotland and unable to work consequent to an acute onset of the illness in Dec 99 following Influenza A - She is a member of The Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Association of Ontario,Canada. Studies comparing ME/CFS and FM have failed to demonstrate any MAJOR DIFFERENCES.Speakers: Dr. Abhijit Chaudhuri, Sr Clinical Lecturer in Neurology, U of Glasgow, Dr. Charles Shepherd, Medical Advisor, The ME Assoc. Val Hockery, Chief Executive, The ME Assoc. The one day seminar was attended by over 100 ambulatory and wheel-chair persons with CFS/ME spanning many careers. The most important message from Dr. Shepherd was to inform the group of statements from the recent publication of the Chief Medical Officer's Working Group on CFS/ME. It gave an authoritative statement that CFS/ME is a GENUINE ILLNESS. iT IS A CHRONIC AND DEBILITATING CONDITION which imposes a substantial burden on the health of the U.K. population. While there was some dissension, and on-going debate by a number of stakeholders groups, the most important take-away message by the CMO is that doctors are now no longer able to say that they don't think CFS/ME exists and know nothing about it. The National Health service will be required to develop and set-up appropriate services. This is to be taken with a sense of urgency and accountability. Dr. Shepherd held up an information booklet on FCS/ME and accompanying patient information booklet which had been developed following the report. These are being distributed to all doctors in England. The equivalent is being developed for Scottish distribution. More coming.
  3. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Thanks! Wish the US docs would adopt that attitude and believe us! I value your info. Seems like more is being done in your part of the world.