Scottish Forum-Current Concepts in ME/CFS/FM 3/2002 - Post II

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rozmund, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

An extremely important presentation on recent advances and current understanding in CFS/ME/FM was given by a neurologist Dr. Abhijit Choudhuri who is actively researching in Glasgow, particularly neuroimaging. He reports that even Physicians/CFS sufferers have been refused neuroimaging by physicians both in the UK and Canada. From Dr. Choudhuri's perspective, breakthroughs appear imminent. He particularly referred to areas of activity in the basal ganglia in the brain responsible for sequential thinking about tasks so they can be performed. He referred to mental fatigue occurring if there is malfunction here and has observed re-channelling in this area in CFS patients which may be relaled to the brain attempting to cure damage here. He listed multiple symptoms which many physician/CFS sufferers in seeking treatment from other physicians in UK and Canada disregard unhappily as simply characteristics of the illness.These related particulary to the autonomic nerve dysfunction which consistently appears to have been ignored. He raised the issue of whether CFS/ME persons are able to deactivate either epinephring or norepinephring possibly on a genetic defect basis as it appears there are higher amounts in the systems of CFS sufferers. This is particularly relevant to the dizziness on standing, or orthostatic intolerance, which he put forward- that in persons with CFS/ME signs such as increased heart rate and sweating occur 'without' the drop in blood pressure that is usually indicated in others. These symptoms of dizziness may easily be dismissed by doctors. Conclusion: Dr. Choudhuri's presentation was the most important forward-thinking and comprehensive discussion of the illness of any clinican this forum has had contact with and further results of his research are highly sought.
  2. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

An extremely important presentation on recent advances and current understanding in CFS/ME/FM was given by a neurologist Dr. Abhijit Choudhuri who is actively researching in Glasgow, particularly neuroimaging. He reports that even Physicians/CFS sufferers have been refused neuroimaging by physicians both in the UK and Canada. From Dr. Choudhuri's perspective, breakthroughs appear imminent. He particularly referred to areas of activity in the basal ganglia in the brain responsible for sequential thinking about tasks so they can be performed. He referred to mental fatigue occurring if there is malfunction here and has observed re-channelling in this area in CFS patients which may be relaled to the brain attempting to cure damage here. He listed multiple symptoms which many physician/CFS sufferers in seeking treatment from other physicians in UK and Canada disregard unhappily as simply characteristics of the illness.These related particulary to the autonomic nerve dysfunction which consistently appears to have been ignored. He raised the issue of whether CFS/ME persons are able to deactivate either epinephring or norepinephring possibly on a genetic defect basis as it appears there are higher amounts in the systems of CFS sufferers. This is particularly relevant to the dizziness on standing, or orthostatic intolerance, which he put forward- that in persons with CFS/ME signs such as increased heart rate and sweating occur 'without' the drop in blood pressure that is usually indicated in others. These symptoms of dizziness may easily be dismissed by doctors. Conclusion: Dr. Choudhuri's presentation was the most important forward-thinking and comprehensive discussion of the illness of any clinican this forum has had contact with and further results of his research are highly sought.
  3. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Good stuff! Thanks! I've really been interested in the dysautonomia angle. Hope Dr. Choudry keeps on pushing!