Scripture of the Week - 4/15

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Harmony, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Harmony

Harmony New Member

II CORINTHIANS 12:9,10 (NIV)

(side note): Paul is talking here about his "thorn in the flesh". No one knows for sure what that was but it is assumed it is some type of illness.
    vs. 8 says that 3 times Paul asked the Lord to take it away from him. God let him go through it for a reason and my footnote says "Christ's power in him was more important than freedom from pain." In verse 9, The Lord said to Paul:

"MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU, FOR MY POWER IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS."

THEREFORE, I WILL BOAST ALL THE MORE GLADLY ABOUT MY WEAKNESSES, SO THAT CHRIST'S POWER MAY REST ON ME.

THAT IS WHY FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, I DELIGHT IN WEAKNESSES, IN INSULTS, IN HARDSHIPS, IN PERSECUTIONS, IN DIFFICULTIES. FOR WHEN I AM WEAK, THEN I AM STRONG.

(I'm thankful that God's grace is sufficient for all of our needs)
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have studied this Scripture so often, I finally came to the conclusion that it was his eyes, as he dictated epistles on a few occasions, plus I always think of his experience on the Damascus Road when he was struck blind, then the scales falling from his eyes.

He was such a powerful personality, that God may have given him an infirmity that would keep him in line! Just my version of the meaning of his ailment. Paul is definitely my favorite as to NT writers! I have a lot in common with him.

Hardheaded, headstrong, and want it my way too.

Take care, and thank you so very much for you Scripture of the Week, you always make me go look up and think about some of them over again for the hundredth time!

God bless!

Shalom, Shirl