...'scuse me... ...any Buddhists out there?

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by nefran5, Mar 17, 2003.

1. nefran5

nefran5 New Member

I believe in the 4 Noble Truths and try to follow the 18 Precepts the best I can. I learned Mindfulness meditation and shikantaza.

My fibro fog mostly makes me dazed during meditation, but can do short sittings with some concentration. I have been helped by some preists with good suggestions, but I'm so spacey it is difficult to talk to them sometimes.

What do you do?

Peace, Nefra
  2. jolly

jolly New Member

I'm not a Buddhist, but I do try to meditate every day (even though I usually don't succeed). Like yourself, short sittings sometimes work better. It seems too, like some days you are connected with no choice in the matter, and others, you just aren't. I believe our effort is important, even though we might not 'tune in' every day to our own satisfaction. The clarity comes and goes. I think our intention is important. Jo Ellen
  3. nefran5

nefran5 New Member

Thanks for answering! Yes, I agree---it is the intention that counts. I try to get as much knowledge and wisdom from any person willing to share his/her experience.

I had hoped that someone with Fibro-fog could give me a fresh perspective on what happens to us when we practice meditation. I was taught to sit for clarity, not to go "unconscious." I am saying this with a chuckle, because it has been such a nuisance to me.

It is also a concern, because as a child I would go into a daze when things became... unpleasant. I no longer want to use this "survival mechanism."

I have been taught by several teachers or priests to concentrate on what my body is doing while I sit. My posture, breathing, what is achey or itching...and to keep going back to that.

I am really good at making my body go numb (not on purpose!)

Do you think our fibro-fog is a blessing or a stumbling block? Any thoughts on this? Jolly or anyone?