Seabiscuit and Chronic Fatigue on Dateline!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Jul 18, 2003.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Dateline did a feature on the new Seabiscuit movie and included an interview with the author who, as you know, suffered from CFIDS for many years. They actually mentioned on prime-time TV that the disease was REAL, and listed some symptoms and the author talked about it a bit. Such as how many years of her life were spent in her bedroom, she was so weak and dizzy and sick.

It was GREAT to hear it discussed on tv as a serious, disabling disorder.

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am glad to see Dateline redeem themselves from the last segment they did on us, which was AWFUL. The segment ended with a Neurologist asking a roomful of other doctors how many of them do not believe Fibromyalgia is real, and all of them raised their hands. That was about a year ago, I think.
    This is a big improvement...thanks for posting.
    Klutzo
  3. Hippo

Hippo New Member

This type of thing can backfire on us, too. After hearing about the author, what do you bet that we will now be told that we are not too sick to work, that we can all write best-selling books from our home computers????

Hippo
  4. kaths

kaths New Member

Isn't Dateline on NBC? I saw Hillenbrand's interview on 20/20 promoed on ABC World News Tonight for tonight's 20/20 show, which I presume you already saw on ABC. I'm looking forward to seeing and taping it in my time zone.

kaths
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2003]
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Ack!!!

Jen F
  6. Nana61

Nana61 New Member

that I could work by a socalled doctor. He used Steve Reeves as an example. Can you believe it? He also said that I could write a novel. Yeah, right.

Nana
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

that she was cured by exercise, eating right (as none of us do) and a good shrink...........

Jaci
  8. Rene

Rene New Member

will have her on as She said she looovvveess the movie yesterday on her show. DId Laura get better???????
    Rene
  9. isee

isee New Member

I saw tonight's 20/20, and was grateful for the commentary about CFS being recognized as a real, debilitating illness.
    I appreciated Hillenbrand describing her invalidism, her need to write and read from bed, etc. However,afterwards, I realized in all her accounts that I've read(Smithsonian, New Yorker,etc.),she's never really complained of brain fog.
    For me, that's the MOST debilitating aspect of this illness - as I think it is for many of us. For the last year, I have been unable to read do to my inability to retain, or even comprehend, what I read.

I keep wondering how she's managed to do all this research, and write, if she does have CFS.

Anna
  10. j9miller

j9miller New Member

The author was said to have given movie help from her home by phone as she could not be on the set. I would guess that means she still suffers with CFS. Of course, they did not go into great detail about the illness. They did say that it was real, not in the head like so many once believed. Of course, very few people can write for a living and then you add CFS to it and you are really reaching for straws, so if a dr uses that as an example they would be foolish. It took her YEARS to complete this novel. We need monetary support now, so fo a dr or judge to use this example against us is just absurd.

Janine
  11. I almost stopped watching the show, until I heard them say she had a debillatating disease of cfs and wrote and did all her work from bed, rarely ever leaving her apt. So I think its a good step forward myself in getting the word out. I hope she gives more interviews from her apt. and mentions cfs.
  12. dannybex

dannybex Member

I watched it last night too. It was kind of a good news/bad news thing -- the good news is yes, she wrote a fantastic novel over a four year period, that is very inspirational to so many. The bad news, is although they did say it is "real", they didn't really get into it, nor did they stress the fact that she is indeed still sick, so she can't attend the premieres. And of course she didn't look sick at all, which perpetuates the stereotype, so it's too bad they didn't talk a little more about her struggle.

And I hate to be cynical (so easy with this disease) but you can forget about Oprah ever doing a show on chronic fatigue. In fact she had Tobey Maquire (the star of the movie) on a couple days ago, and mentioned the book, but not the author or her struggle. Oprah doesn't deal with real issues anymore -- it's all house makeovers, or relationship issues, finding your spirit, celebrity interviews, all superficial stuff, all coated in pastels and pretty colors.

On a good note, I've heard Ms. Hillebrand's article in the New Yorker is great. My sister is sending me a copy. If she doesn't mention "brain fog", it might not mean she didn't have to deal with it from time to time. (I've found that the amino acid l-tyrosine helps quite a bit with brain fog. Also more protein, and a little less carbs in a meal will help with concentration.)

Okay, I'll shut up!

Dan
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2003]
  13. dannybex

dannybex Member

...at least for awhile. (I've found myself that it comes and goes.)

Anyway, I got the article from my sister today, and in it Hillenbrand states "in conversation, I'd think of one word, but say something completely unrelated: "Hotel" became "plankton"; "cup" came out "elastic". I couldn't hang on to a thought long enough to carry it through a sentence."

The New Yorker article is very well written, and should be required reading for friends of CFIDS patients.

It does seem to end a little abruptly, but her point is that while it's been very difficult, EXTREMELY difficult at times, she's survived, and perhaps will continue to recover. And as so many have mentioned, reducing stress as much as possible, (meaning don't overdo it when you feel better) is VERY, VERY IMPORTANT in recovery.

Best regards,

Dan
  14. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

WE ALL MUST.... INCLUDING PWCS & PEOPLE WHO ARE'NT FIGHTING THIS CRAP..... MUST TRY TO BE MORE LENIENT.... THIS DISEASE IS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND IF YOU ARE FIGHTING IT..... & DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU ARE'NT..... I HOPE AS MOST THAT THIS MOVIE WILL BRING HELP & HOPE TO PEOPLE FIGHTING THIS ILLNESS..... BUT AS MOST , I DO'NT NEED TO BE DISAPPOINTED.. AGAIN..... I , MYSELF , FIND IT TO BE AT LEAST IRRITATING THAT IF I WAS FIGHTING DRUG ADDICTION... ALCOHOL DEPENDANCE... OR OTHER PROBLEMS..... I COULD FIND MORE HELP...MAYBE I'M CRAZY.... BUT I REFUSE TO TAKE THE "EASY" OPTION.... I TRUELY HOPE THAT THIS IS NOT ANOTHER "FALSE" HOPE FOR ALL FIGHTING THIS....MORE TO SAY , BUT BRAIN FOG HAS KICKED MY BUTT.... TAKE CARE !!!! BILLCAMO.
  15. DenialQueen

DenialQueen New Member

I found this searching MSNBC.com for the Dateline show...

The Author: A Writer Who Beat the Odds

Hillenbrand battled chronic fatigue to pen a best seller

By Barbara Kantrowitz
    NEWSWEEK

July 28 issue — Laura Hillenbrand greets you at the door of her yellow brick house in northwest Washington. This would hardly be worth noting, except that Hillenbrand, 36, has spent the past 16 years so debilitated by chronic fatigue syndrome that at times she can move only her eyelids.

Complete article can be found at: http://www.msnbc.com/news/941349.asp?cp1=1
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2003]
  16. dannybex

dannybex Member

Interesting and depressing. Turns out it took her TWO YEARS to write (or as she says, "finish") the article she wrote for the New Yorker. I hope with the money she's earned from the book she can attract the leading experts in the country to get to the root of her specific type of CFS. There has GOT to be a reason, (or reasons) she is still so ill. And why some many of us are ill. There has got to be an explanation or explanations -- they, and we, just haven't found them...

d.