Seasick Steve

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Seasick Steve is an American Blues man who has become very famous over here on this little island.

He was a hobbo for years travelling the states and plays a 3 string guitar. He has lived for years in Norway with his Norwegian wife and, I believe, 5 kids.

He is 67 and totally unassuming which is why we all love him and he is a fantastic musician.

You should be able to catch him on you tube or somewhere online.

Please do, you might not regret it.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I checked Youtube. Several videos of Seasick Steve. Lots of favorable comments from
    the viewers.

I can't understand the concept of a three-string guitar. Kinda like a piano with 44 keys.
    Ya think it was because at one time he couldn't afford to buy new strings?

PS: I have a refrigerator magnet that say "Happinness is Marrying a Norwegian."
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

well Seasick Steve is one happy chappie so maybe the Norwegian woman did it for him, I think she certainly cured him of his hobbo ways and it was she who got him the record deal.

His 3 string guitar has a story - his old friend Sherman, landed American gentry (old money maybe not so much of it left now) gave it to him many years ago - he also plays a 5 string guitar and an assortment of 'put together' instruments.

You didnt say if you like his music??????

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

being tactful.

I like grand opera, grand ole opry, ragtime, pop, early rock, Americana, celtic, marches,
    sacred, choral, Broadway and folk. I don't think he fits into any of those catagories.

But that's the nice thing about food and music. Something for every taste.

Hoots, mon!

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you are so sweet with your 'tactfulness' Rock - I already knew the answer but couldn't resist dragging it out of you.

Seasick Steve is not for everyone.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I think he's marvellous. They did a 1/2 hour documentary of him going back to States and meeting up with old friends and jamming - cant remember name but you should be able to get it. It was a BBC production.

7. sisland

sisland New Member

Hey he's pretty Kool!,,,I like his talent and the blues!,,,There are some very talented folks who live (or used to live) on the streets,,,He's one of the best i've heard in along time!!,,,,,Thanks!,,,Sis