Seasonal Affective Disorder??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sisland, Nov 16, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    Does anyone know the name of the lights that are supposed to help with this diorder? Thanks! S
  2. huska

huska New Member

I HOPE SOMEONE HERE COULD HELP YOU. I CAN'T SORRY...
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You need full spectrum light, usually at 10,000 lux. Lux is about the intensity of the light, and 10,000 is usual dose for treating depression, though you can get lights that have less lux, like maybe 5,000 lux, but you'd use it twice as long.

I have a desk lamp, and it's very good, cheaper than a lightbox, and much more convenient I think. There are other options like dawn simulator alarms (aka body clocks), and light visors too.

Jeanne
  4. suz45

suz45 New Member

Sis:

In addtion to the light therapy you may want to speak with your doctor or pharmacist about vitamin D the daily RDA is 400 iu however in areas of the woeld where there is limited sunlight and the body cannot mfg it due to shorter days or less sunlight they supplement with Vit D However this being said Vit D is fat soluable so you dont want to take to much either or you can have toxic effects. Thats why i mentioned talking to your doctor or pharmacist.

Suz45
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

I really need to get something to help with this problem! The less daylight the worse i feel! I didn't realise it until i read about it somewhere and wow! It really does have an affect on the mood!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks Jeannie i will look into this Lamp! and The Vit D! thanks everyone!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2006]
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

You might look into St. Johns Wort too.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

again for your replies! I'm on a very low dose AD 10 mg! it keeps me on a level so to speak! I will definetly check into the the other light also! thanks again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sydney
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

for the info Donnaeil!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs to all,,,,
  9. connieaag

connieaag New Member

I just ordered this for my daughter. You wear it like a hat for 30 minutes 2x a day. She doesn't want to have to stay in one place (the sauna without heat) to use BLT, so I thought this might help.

Anyone bought it?

Connie