Seasonal Disorder

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaW, Oct 14, 2005.

1. LindaW

LindaW New Member

The weather cold and rainy has put me in an unbearable flare. I can hardly walk. Also the dark dreary days just add to the depression. Has anyone used the "lights" that are suppose to help with this disorder? Would the insurance pay for something like this. Thanks for your help.
    lw
  2. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hello Lindaw,
    Vitamin D has been found to be the best treatment for seasonal affective disorder. I now take 800 IU of Vitamin D daily with breakfast and my seasonal affective disorder has completely left me. I no longer feel blue during the long, cold, Connecticut winter or on rainy, dark days.

Love, Jasmine
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have clinical depression and in the winter SAD sets in also. Three years ago I bought a full-spectrum light, put it where I sit in the morning, and turn it on for about a half hour a day. I believe it helps me as I haven't had any major downturns during the winter months since. So, for me, it does help.

Our area is very rainy and dark during the winter, and it has always made me depressed and tired even before the depression dx, so I'm not surprised that this occurs. The light has helped.

Mine was not that expensive...I'll see if I can find the name of the company I purchased it from for you. It seems they have gone down since then so I don't think it's a huge investment. I don't know if your insurance company will pay but ours wouldn't even with a doctor's prescription. I wouldn't go to a medical supply store as their prices are far higher than over the internet.

Best of luck in making your decision. I'll get back to you with the name of the company.

Sue
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Full Spectrum Solutions. Check it out on the net.

Sue
  5. spasco

spasco New Member

Will probably help the doldrums, but it won't help the pain. I don't mean to be stupid, but I just wanted to be sure you knew that!

God bless! Stephanie
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I had full spectrum lights installed in my office last year. I didn't notice any difference. I also have a lamp that I put a full spectrum bulb in. I don't think that makes a whole lot of difference either.