Seattle Area CFS Clinic? Info, Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Sep 15, 2008.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

I heard from my daughter that a relatively new CFS/Fibro clinic has opened in the Seattle Area. She had seen it on TV. I tried "google" but couldn't find anything that looked like the place that had been discussed. Have any of you information about a new and progressive CFS/Fibro clinic in the Seattle Washington area? Please post any info you have. MsE
  2. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Is it possibly the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center in Bellevue? It's been open since about 2005.

I went there for about 2 years, and was helped very much by the the doctor who was there at the time, but is no longer. There is a lot of controversy about these centers, which are in about 10 other cities as well. I think how much you can be helped there depends greatly on the doctor. They have a website: They do not take insurance, but will provide you with a "superbill" to submit on your own.

You can find out about different people's experiences by searching in this forum for FFC or Fibro and Fatigue.

Best wishes,
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

I'll check out this clinic. I had heard that a bunch of CFS clinics were popping up across the nation, didn't take insurance, and were a bunch of money-grabbers taking advantage of a severe problem, so when I talked to my daughter I had been sort of negative about it. However, I'll check out this one. Thanks again.

BILLCAMO New Member

I have to agree with all that's been said so far.....

Do a search here for them. (FFC).

When they 1st opened , I'd wished I had the funds to go to them. BUT , after finding out more later , I'm glad I didn't have the funds. Jmho....

Many good Drs. HAVE BEEN THERE. Most have left and opened their own practices. And many patients like the personal treatment much better.

The FFC ....SEEMS be a money making , cookie-cutting operation.

If I had the funds & energy to drive to the west side of the state , I'd be sorely tempted to try out several Drs. Including Dr. Marti & Dr. Susan Shilfer (In Poulsbo)...

At least there are many more options on the west side of the state than here..... I think that many of the Drs. here would still be using a horse and buggy if they didn't have bills , etc....... :>) LOL

Blessings ,

5. MsE

MsE New Member

Thank you so much for the many recommendations. I appreciate your help. Blessings, MsE
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Yes, Dr. Laurie Marti is the doc I saw at FFC. She's an excellent doctor who truly cares and goes the extra mile and then some for her patients. She's located in Bellevue.

I was sick for 5+ yrs., went to several doctors, they were very caring, but didn't get to the bottom of my CFS/FM. Quite quickly she diagnosed me with chronic lyme disease, and other underlying infections (candida, mycoplasma, echovirus) which were totally off the radar screen for the other docs. Also had depleted hormones of all kinds.

Best wishes for your health,
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

Thanks a bunch, Hopeful.
  8. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I went there and they did something unethical to me and alot of people there.

If you are in the Seatte area.... Go see DR. Laurie Marti... she is by far the best DR. IMHO in this field...

Neither one takes insurance... no... but if you go to FFC you will get ripped off- save your money and see Dr. Marti... she will get you better... she is in Bellevue.

9. MsE

MsE New Member

Is this Dr. Marti terribly expensive? If she won't take Medicare or insurance, I'm not sure I could go this route.
  10. smhaws

smhaws New Member

I've just started seeing Dr. Ross at the Healing Arts Partnership. So far he's been really great (2 appts).

He doesn't directly bill insurance, but you can take the bill and submit it to insurance yourself. My carrier (Blue Shield) generally will cover half of the charges.

The CFS Clinic at Harborview, I think, accepts insurance. However, their waiting list is over six months long.
  11. MsE

MsE New Member

Thanks so much for the additional input. I'm making a list of all of the names and phone numbers, etc. I'm finding on this subject.
  12. dannybex

dannybex Member

None of them take insurance, although SOME of the TESTS are covered by Medicare, but not by medicaid. Ross dropped his medicaid and medicare patients virtually overnight, resulting in a lot of anger and panic amongst his patients.

I have heard good things about Dr. Marti. A friend of mine in our local support group raves about her. He was sick for 30 years, and started seeing her when she was with the F&F centers about 2 years ago. Although he had a major setback about 8 months ago (blood clots) he can function a lot better now, but is on about 12-14 drugs.'s great that he's feeling better, but that's a lot of drugs for the liver to handle...

Several people in our group were seeing Dr. Schlifer (sp?) but left after doing very poorly when she started using the Marshall protocol. That was three years ago though, so not sure what protocols she's using now.

Another doctor is Cynthia guy in our group completely recovered after being sick for four years. A couple others have seen her and not done as well, but didn't have the $$ to continue treatments/supplements.

That being said, we have had about four or five people recover anywhere from 70-100%, all using a variety of doctors, plus alternative treatments like Reiki and this new Gupta retraining program. One woman had been sick for 13 years, and after doing a year of 'energy medicine' and then six months of the Gupta program, she got to 90% better. She is now back to 75%, but just went through a major move down to California. She's back on the program and starting to feel better...

Hope this helps!

p.s. Anyone and/or maybe everyone in our local support group who has been to the Harborview clinic will tell you it's a joke. We've had several times over the past few years when someone would ask about the clinic, and eyes would roll in unison.

First of all there's a six month waiting list to get in there, and piles -- 30-40 pages of paperwork to fill out -- then (from what they say) you get in there, they run a few tests, then tell you there's nothing they can do, so just go home and rest.

I think it's more of a research facility. Debra Buchwald who runs it, does a lot of research studies, so perhaps doesn't concentrate much on treatment...???
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2008]
  13. MsE

MsE New Member

Yes, I'm on the Olympic Peninsula. Poulsbo is close. Thanks for the names. I'll add them to my list. MsE
  14. MsE

MsE New Member

Thanks for all the info. I, too, had heard negative things about Harbourview's clinic. In fact, I tried to get in there some years ago, but they said I couldn't have CFS/ME because I was taking thyroid. Duh.