Second favorite movie thread.....the other one got way laid

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunflowergirl, Aug 27, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I was thinking about a very favorite movie I like to watch every 6 months or so. It is "Girl With a Pearl Earring" starring Scarlett Johansson. The story is about a young girl who comes to live in the house of Johannes Vermeer in Delft, Holland as their maid. This is like watching a moving painting, it is incredibly beautiful and at times takes my breath away.

Another favorite of mine is Out of Africa starring Merle Streep and Robert Redford. That's another beautiful period piece and if you've never seen it, I suggest you rent it. A really wonderful movie.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi SG

Did you know "Waylaid" was a movie? I didn't either until I checked. I read it came out in 2007.
    Never heard of any of the people in it. There was a novel of the same name about children from Taiwan
    who lived in New Jersey.

I haven't been to the movies since 1986, but now and then I watch a chunk of something on Turner
    Classic Movies. Saw part of film with Jeanne Crain yesterday. I didn't realize she was such a stunning
    beauty. Like Janet Leigh or Liz Taylor or Zsz Zsa Gabor.

This morning I watched 15 minutes of a Western from the 1960s. I thought the title was somewhat
    childish: The Good Guys and the Bad Guys. The star was Robert Mitchum. The script was terrible
    though. Doesn't matter how great the stars or the director. Without a good script, there's no solid
    foundation. Look at "Star Wars". No stars in that film. (Of course the special effects and the music helped.)

Oh yeah, speaking of Zsa Zsa, my aunt came to visit 30-40 years ago. We have a snapshot of her
    walking down Rodeo Drive. Behind her and to the left, is Zsa Zsa.

Rock
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

The last movie that I saw in a theatre was "Bird on a Wire" with Mel Gibson. What was that - about 1990?? I am not a movie person. I'll watch the occasional one on TV or DVD but I don't go to the theatre any more.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"The Green Mile" is a favorite of mine. There are so many wonderful movies. Thank God because there are a slew of bad ones. I love anything with Robert Mitchem in it. He was great. On my first date with my ex, we doubled dated with his best friend and his wife. We played putt putt golf and went to their apt. to watch "Thunder Road," a real B&W Mitchem classic. I loved that song. Seems the summer I met my ex, that song was playing everywhere. I still smile when I hear it because, even though my marriage ended, there were some really wonderful memories.

On the other thread, in case anyone missed it, I mentioned I had watched "Life of Pi." Strange fantasy of a story, beautifully filmed.

Love, Mikie
  5. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

The last movie I saw in a theater was "Monster University" in 3D...took the grandkids. They loved it (but they don't get to watch much TV even...a "good thing" IMHO). I thought it was so-so (and I usually enjoy most kids movies). "Jack, The Giant Slayer" was a surprisingly good movie.

There are far too many good films for me to say I have a "special" movie. I did mention "Shakespeare in Love" in the previous thread, but it was the screen writers that made that movie unique. If I were to talk about Robert Mitchem, I'd say "River of No Return" is my favorite. If I were to talk about Peter O'Toole, then "Lawrence of Arabia" would be a fav. Angelina Jolie..."Salt". Cate Blanchett...both "Elizabeth" movies. Johnny Depp...all the "Pirate" series. Lana Turner..."Green Dolphin Street". John Wayne..."The Searchers". You get the picture...
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, this is a great thread. I live chatted with Netflix to ask why they have such old stuff. They have trouble buying things to stream but they have newer ones in their mail DVD offerings. Problem is that you have to pay extra for that service. Soon, there will be more than I can keep up with on TV so declined to spend extra to get DVD's mailed to me. It takes almost no time for them to show up on TV these days. If I want to see something right away, I can pay for it on On Demand. I refuse to go to a movie theater unless it's in the middle of the week for a matinee when kids are in school. Even then, people can drive me nuts with their talking and loud eating. Also, after watching in HD at home, big-screen movies seem to be fuzzy and slightly out of focus now. I am truly and officially an old fart!

Love, Mikie
  7. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hello, Fellow Cinephiles

I saw part of "The Music Man" on Turner Classics yesterday. Great movie (to me anyway) with a wonderful
    cast, songs, and lots of nostalgia. I've seen the stage version a couple times. Once with the title role played
    by Dick Van Dyke and the other time by Bert Parks. Remember him?

Bert was a radio announcer who became a game show host on radio and TV and eventually, the
    host of the Miss America contest for decades. But what I had not known, was that early in his career
    he was also a singer.

Anyhoo he never impressed me until I saw him as Professor Harold Hill. He was brilliant. And
    he and the leading lady did a great dance from about a century ago. It was called the Peabody;
    sort of a fast fox trot.

As for Dick Van Dyke, he was just as wonderful as you would expect. But a little hoarse from doing
    8 performances a week.

Almost every musical I've seen on stage seemed to have more pizazz than the movie version.
    The best movie musicals usually are the ones written for the screen: Singing in the Rain; Mother Wore
    Tights; 42nd Street; Mary Poppins; Thoroughly Modern Millie; Easter Parade; 7 Brides 4 etc.,
    Gigi, Meet Me in St. Louis et al.

Rock
  8. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Rock...You reminded me of a time I went to the Lincoln Center in Washington, D.C., while visiting friends. I had already seen Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" at the theater, but we saw a live performance.

Before even entering, I wondered how on earth they were going to do some of the scenes portrayed in the movie. I was totally amazed!! It was all totally spectacular...

There weren't any "stars" that performed, so I can't offer up any names. My biggest regret is I lost my program in the parking lot when we left.

We also went to a "Stars On Ice" performance while D.C. Enjoyed that immensely, too. Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Kurt Browning were the main star performers. It was not long after that Scott Hamilton fully retired.

Two very special treats in my life...

Windy
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Last live stage performance I saw was Thomas The Train Live :)

Love, Mikie
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I watched a favorite movie of mine........one of the funniest in my opinion......O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    It stars George Clooney, with many other actors with cameo appearances. He and his two friends are escaped prisoners down south back in the 30s....you know when they used to wear striped outfits. If you want a really good escape with lots of laughs, this is the movie. So many, many usual twists and turns to this story that they just sneak up on you. I've got to buy this, instead of requesting it from the library every 6 months or so.
  11. bct

bct Member

Hey Sunflower, I liked O Brother, Where art Thou? a lot. I'll have to get it again, it was a lot of fun. I don't usually care for George Cloony (prefer Rosemary!) but he is really good in this.

Thumbs up for this movie,
    Barry :)
  12. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

I remember the first time I saw George Clooney. He was on the Roseanne Show. Played the boyfriend
    of Roseanne's sister. He was a handsome young man. Now, 25 years later, he is a handsome middle
    aged man. I haven't seen him in any movies since I now longer go to them. I did read that Laurie
    Metcalf, who played Roseanne's sister, has been doing a lot of Broadway. Gordon said she's now in
    a new TV show.

Rosemary was in several movies, notably "White Christmas". She was great friends with another
    singer and movie star, Marlene Dietrich. They recorded several duets which you can hear on
    Youtube. The most famous was "Too Old To Cut the Mustard Anymore".

Marlene became a recluse when she got old. She lived to be about 90. Anyhoo I heard Rosemary
    wanted to visit her. So she called. She said, "I'm right across the street." Marlene didn't want
    to see her. Talking on the phone was fine. Maybe she couldn't accept that her legendary beauty
    had faded. Well, not everyone is so lucky as I.

How things have changed in my lifetime. When I was young singers had good voices, the songs
    had melodies, and the kind of behavior entertainers engage in today would have ruined a career.
    In other news, the sun will come out tomorrow and rain is wet.

And lots of songs also had beautiful lyrics.

I'll be seeing you
    In all the old familiar places
    That this heart of mine embraces
    All day and through
    In that small cafe
    The park across the way
    The children's carousel
    The chestnut trees, the wishing well

I'll be seeing you
    In every lovely summer's day
    In everything that's light and gay
    I'll always think of you that way
    I'll find you in the morning sun
    And when the night is new
    I'll be looking at the moon
    But I'll be seeing you
    By Sammy Fain and Irving Kahal
    Rock
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Oh, Rock, you bring back some memories with those lyrics. Marlene Dietrich sang a song which Mercedes used in their ads about 10 years ago.

Falling in live again, what am I to do
    Never wanted to, can't help it.
    Love's always been my game, play it as I may
    I'm just made that way, can't help it.

Men cluster to me like moths about a flame,
    And if their wings burn, I know I'm not to blame.
    Falling in love again, what am I to do,
    Never wanted to, can't help it.

Rosemary Clooney has always been a favorite. She often hated the songs she had to sing. She thought "Come Ona My House" was stupid but it was a big hit for her. I think I mentioned earlier that I saw her in the 70's live in New Orleans. By then, she had become quite heavy but she could still belt out a tune. She was on stage with Helen O'Connel and Rosemarie (the one from "The Dick Van Dyke Show." It was called, "Three Girls Three." I had to stop in the restroom on the way out and the three of them were having a disagreement. I got outta there fast.

George Clooney also had an appearance on several episodes of "The Golden Girls." He played a cop and his partner was Jerry Orbach. His name on Roseanne was Tucker. Don't know why remember that. I loved him in "The American," where he played a spy and in "Descendants," where he played a single dad. I was only luke warm to "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou." "Men Staring At Goats" stank on ice. He really doesn't have to do much. Just looking at him is enough.

Been watching two new shows, "The Bridge," and "Low Sun In Winter." Both have very complex plots and I'm finding myself watching each episode twice so as not to get confused (which is not difficult for me :) I don't know when "The Amerikans" will return but I will likely be lost when it starts as I can't remember what happened the first season. I hope they do reruns before this season's premier as they have been doing with a lot of shows.

Love, Mikie