Second time this month, I've been CAUGHT

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, Nov 26, 2006.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Ever have unexpected company catch you by surprise!!

Today, was the second time i've been caught recently by visitors with a trashed out house!!!

So embarassing!!!!

Uhggg! I think i need a therapy session, or a shock treatment right about now! Please send a maid!

2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I will send you mine, after I find her myself! LOL

Put this under the catagory of 'when surprises aren't wanted!' LOL

3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Not your mess .Dont worry about it
  4. you probably just gave your company something to talk about LOL! I figure if they don't like it, they won't come back. My friends house is the worst I have ever seen, but she looks all around/SNOOPS at my house , I think she digs finding something messy other than her house.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/26/2006]
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Ugh. This rarely happens to me anymore because I don't open the door if I'm not prepared for guests - which is often. :>(

Maid is on her way. I'll request the one from The Porch. She's not doing anything, obviously.

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

on the "They just left" excuse.

Oh, comon in. I hope the film crew's van didn't get in your way.....Yes, they're doing a segment on messy housekeeping, and I agreed to help them out."

"Oh, comon in. Goodness. I'm just worn out. You know what a handful grandkids can be."

"Oh, comon in. Goodness. My sister insisted on bringing her new pet over. I never knew how much mess a monkey could make."
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

I admit to hiding out from delivery men; luckily friends know better than to just drop by. But I have made a point of wearing pajamas generally that look like real clothes lolol... that way if I get caught I at least look MAYBE like I've been 'being normal' for a while, hehe.

And I THINK that our helpers with my MIL (has dementia) think that I haven't always just gotten outta bed 2 seconds before they arrive?!

My favorite is those rayon pants with patterns that were popular a few years ago - comfortable to sleep in, wrinkles shake out, doghair doesn't stick to it, and I wear it with a t-shirt;

winter's harder as I really like polar fleece to sleep in and between being pastel and in 'pajama' cut, doesn't exactly look like real clothes.

Oh well, too bad, let strangers assume i've been having a case of the flu... they'll be sure to be happy to stay away then hehehe! Any hopefully our helpers will then just feel sorry for me... I think they do actually... even tho I don't generally like it, sometimes pity is ok...

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 11/26/2006]
  8. caffey

caffey New Member

I love drop in company. What they see is what they get!! They just know to go and pull a cup out of the cupboard and if there aren't any clean ones they just go and wash one lol. One friend even washes the cups when she is leaving. I guess I have learned to swallow my pride and I have more important things to worry about except I did get caught the other night half naked but then such is life.
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

These are my tips for making people think my house is clean:

1. Use only 40 watt bulbs. If it's too dark to see it, it isn't there.

2. Always keep the bathroom (only the spare one, keep your bathroom door closed!) mirror clean. I keep the Windex under the bathroom sink. Excuse myself for a moment and go in to "use" the bathroom. I clean the mirror and faucet with the Windex. All shiney!

3. Close every door you can to keep them corraled in the smallest area possible. Again, if you can't see it, it isn't there.

4.Turn the dogs loose. This is so distracting at my house nobody has time to look around, they are too busy trying to keep my 80 lb golden out of their lap. If they are nice I will make him behave, if not, I just let him have at it!

5. Pull the blinds (see #1)

6. If all else fails I simply tell them it is ok to draw in the dust, but please don't date it!

Come to think of it, ever since the golden has lived with me I don't have much drop in company!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Greenbean. Now that Emily Post and Dear Abbey are dead (or is it her twin sister?), you should take up writing an advice column.

I especially like: Turn the dogs loose.
  11. morningsonshine

I loved all your responses! Made me feel better about the whole thing.

The "they just left" excuse was a good one!!LOL

Victoria, i too was in my P.J. but then i usally am at home!

I like Caffey's idea, if they don't like it, then they can clean while there here! My mom will do that for me sometimes.

Instead of turning the dogs loose i turned my cats loose!

I have not answered the door before on neighbors, however, this was someone i really wanted to see.

They are no longer from around here, and was visiting family and dropped by to say "hi" before going home. They had there 2 year old daughter who is a miricale baby, and i have never met her yet!!

So that was good, just wish my house had been more "baby proof" LOL

My house is monster proof!!
  12. petsrme

petsrme Member

I never answer the door unless I am fully dressed and the house is clean, which isn't often. LOL! I do love company when I am ready for them, but not unexpected guests. I also never answer the phone unless it is my family.

Greenbean, those were some great tips!
  13. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Get Well Cards. Get a stash and when somebody knocks on your door, put them up. It's always a good excuse lol

My Mom always told me to always make the bed, clean the counters off and do the dishes or at least stack them neatly in the sink or put them in the dishwasher. Unexpected company will not see disorder and therefore, will probably not notice if stuff is not dusted. The dust, left untouched, isn't that noticable. However, if you run your hand over a piece and leave the rest - well lol

14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I live in my pj's so i'd just grab a blanket, lay back down on the couch, and say come on in! I am under the weather today.Make yourself at home!
  15. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Just a suggestion, but check out flylady. You will change the way you think of just about everything in your life. I still struggle at times, but I love having the tools that I need to survive and enjoy being in my home.

16. MelaC

MelaC New Member

I believe people who come to visit come to see me and not the state my house is in. If they do find the state of my house distasteful thats there problem. They know My situation so its just tough especially if they dont have the decency to phone first.

It works both ways and really wouldn't worry about it. If they dont like it they can lump it.

17. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I agree with Ingrid..Try FlyLady!!!
  18. morningsonshine

I've been too flylady, and find it abit overwhelming, but think it's a good sight.

However, could spend all day reading the emails, and still not accomplish much! LOL

Don't get the whole shinny sink thing either? That's an immpossible task for me.

Guess that makes me hopeless?? I've always struggled with routine my whole life. Kinda rebellious there, but not intentionally.

When i had more energy, i was a marathon cleaner. Just ignore everything until it was bad, then spend two days of solid cleaning, but now i don't have the energy or strengh for that anymore.

And i'm having a real hard time retraining myself.

It's interesting this post keeps popping up, i'm sure this is a subject that is difficult for all of us.

I love all the responses!!